Pacific Shoreline Marathon, LLC
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, drank about 8 oz water, ate 2/3 of an Amino Vital 'prepare' bar that was pretty much 300 cals of pure carbs, drank more, ate a little more, and should've gone to the bathroom one last time before joining the race mob in the start line area.
Event warmup:

Short walk from hotel to the race site followed by lower back/hip stretch/swivel motions to "get loose". No hopping around like I usually do.
Run
  • 2h 09m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Final run stats TBD with the chip time, but my watch time was fairly accurate and matched my own perceived effort: 8 of 10. The waiting and walking was a little bothersome, but kept me in check and took away that competitive "must destroy my PR" urge. I ran easily, not struggling. I loved the live 'surf music' playing at two points on the course...from the beach boys to the pulp fiction soundtrack. Too funny! I enjoyed the scenery. Even stopped at the porta-potty, which although not pretty, was a good idea and freed my mind to think more about running and less about nature's persistent calling. In the end, we still had a nice sprint to the congested finish and enjoyed the goodies and ocean-dip post-race.
What would you do differently?:

Run my own pace next race -- keep track of splits and really go for a PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, drank electrolytes, tried another Amino Vital bar 'the recovery' orange/cranberry one, ate 1/2 and orange and 1/2 a bagel, plus later a full banana.

Body-wise, I went straight to the cool Pacific Waters for an ocean dunk and later to the spa's whirlpool and steam room for heat. Gave my quads and calves a hard self-massage. Sooo nice!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My conscience about not wanting to leave my partner in the weeds if she started cramping up or suffering kept me from running faster.

Event comments:

Great location, good race, just be prepared for the crowds!

Last updated: 2006-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:14 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Didn't notice any unusual split times at each mile marker, so I must've been doing just fine. I did walk/wait a total of 5 mins for my running partner, Rosanna at miles 8, 11, and 13. The rest of the time, we kept in sight and held a fairly good sub-10 min mile pace.
Course: Coastal and flat with a short residential section. Not too many spectators, but LOTS of runners!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-08 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Pacific Shoreline 1/2 Marathon
RACE GenderAgeDivision  Net (Chip) TimePaceHalf Marathon--10K SplitPlaceTOTALGender PlaceDivision PlaceDIVISION TOTAL   
HALF   F31F3034   2:12:3010:07 59:44:00263154621121 189511   

Harumph...my race times were slower than I'd had on my watch, and they had an Athena division that I might've done fairly well in...but since this wasn't a goal race for me anyway, and I ran it just to finish, I'm still mostly content with my times.

Edited by SunnyS 2006-02-08 8:45 AM

2006-02-08 9:41 AM
in reply to: #341327

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Pacific Shoreline 1/2 Marathon

Good job.  10-min miles even with walking some of it with your friend.  Imagine what you'll do when you are ready to go go for time!

Sharon

2006-02-09 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Fantastic Race! Keep up the good work!
B or C races are practices for our A races. Its how we know what works and what doesn't. I love training with my friends, but on race day we are competitors. Hee Hee. I bet you staying with her though gave her the confidence and the motivation to not only go faster, but see how much fun running really is.

GREAT JOB!
2006-02-16 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I appreicate the encouragement from you ladies, thanks!

Next race: a 20-miler from Maine, through NH, to Mass.  3 states, 1 great race.

Wonder how I'll do at that distance...hopefully my 13.1 mile split will be better, if nothing else.

Keep on racing, keep on tri'ing, -Sunny

2006-02-16 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
I had my watch and my Garmin and my chip time was over almost two minutes slower than both of those.  I don't get it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Shoreline 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed