General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-09 9:18 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning
This could probably be considered part II of a post I put up about a week ago (refitting - what went wrong?)
I had bought my road bike about a year ago, a two hour ride (about 30 miles), was the norm. Lost weight, felt better but distances got shorter due to pain and numbness up front ("the guy" would lose blood flow - especially on the trianer - OUCH!).

I went for a bike fitting last week but didn't have time to finish so I came back yesterday. The first day:
1 - raised the seat a total of 2 1/8 inches
2 - Played around with the reach for the bars (raised the stem, shorter stem, but wound up staying with stock raised/inverted)
3 - Corrected my riding position (I was locking my elbows & rode on the bars, not touching the hoods)

Yesterday:
4 - Moved cleats forward a bit
5 - Raised the levers from stock position (maybe 1/4 inch?)
6 - Changed stock seat to a slightly wider (stock seat was "wedging" between my sit bones - everyone has a different shape)
7 - Corrected my riding position some more (knees were pointing out, ankles were too stiff, wrist position was off)
8 - Removed the aerobars - Too many adjustments at one time, I'm not in the greatest of shape, new sitting position.

Since I left the shop I could not help but keep reflecting on what changes took place and what I learned and could keep learning up to this point.
A - Never have your salesman fit you - In my excitement and lack of experience, I thought salesmen were fitters (NOT!!!)
B - A new bike (like any other piece of equipment), will fit differently over time and if adjustments are needed, they will force you to get adjusted when the pain hits (don't wait for this time)
C - Stick to/return to basics - I removed the areobars for reason #8. The need was more than obvious. Will put them back on later in the year sometime
D - You will need to get refitted about every year (depending on your mileage) - Your fitness level will hopefully change, requiring adjustments (all the adjustments mentioned put me in a neutral position - not relaxed, not agressive - back to basics)
E - Make sure your fitter listens more than talks - Mine was extremely attentive & patient with a cool attitude
F - Listen to your fitter. He corrected my riding position not just that of my bike. This guy made all the sense in the world - even more as I think more about it
G - Make every effort to make a fitting appointment during slow times (middle of the week, 2:00PM-ish, Dec/Jan-ish). These guys love to feed you all the info they've learned and to tinker with what they know best. My fitter was with me for almost two hours on the second day.

I can go on but this post has gone far longer than I intended. Hope this helps some of you out there. I went out last night with the limited time I had and am totally pleased with the changes. If time permitted, I would've gone much further, for much longer. It literally feels like I have a new bike on my hands.

Edited by cobannero 2006-02-09 9:25 AM

2006-02-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: #342165

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning
Thanks, this is just what I need to convince me to drop the coin to do this-- (off to find your post I!)
2006-02-09 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I will second your point about fit changing as your body does. I got fitted for a second time a couple of weeks ago (I am in the market for a new bike and wanted to optimize my fit) I found that I had gained 10 degrees of hip flexability in the last year (stretching 30 minutes a week) and will be able to get into a lower and more aero position than before.

I will also report that my first fitting eliminated some arm pain that I had been having on long rides, and got my knees tracking straight.

If you are serious about cycling, but new to it,  I highly reccommend getting fitted by a certified fitter. Even tweaking the fit on your existing bike can make a big difference in your comfort and perhaps in your performance

And cobannero, raising the saddle 21/8 inches, you must have been riding with your knees hittting your ears

2006-02-09 9:46 AM
in reply to: #342178

Master
Brooklyn, NY
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2006-02-09 9:35 AM
If you are serious about cycling, but new to it,  I highly reccommend getting fitted by a certified fitter. Even tweaking the fit on your existing bike can make a big difference in your comfort and perhaps in your performance

And cobannero, raising the saddle 21/8 inches, you must have been riding with your knees hittting your ears

Getting fitted was the best investment I've made in my training so far. My fitter is not certified butt there are people that just do things the right way. We spoke extensively about this yesterday. I recently found thru local bike clubs that he has a very good reputation.
Also, the bike shop I bought the bike from charges you half price for a fitting if you buy the bikes from them.

LOL!! Yes, compared to my new riding position, it did feel like my knees were up there. Hmmm! Maybe that's why my knees where pointing outward.
2006-02-09 10:13 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
cobannero - 2006-02-09 10:18 AM
A - Never have your salesman fit you - In my excitement and lack of experience, I thought salesmen were fitters (NOT!!!)

Of course I will have to vehemently disagree with that statement .......... but you SHOULD make sure that the salesman is capable and knowledgable at fitting before allowing him/her to do it.
2006-02-09 11:18 AM
in reply to: #342216

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Daremo - 2006-02-09 10:13 AM

cobannero - 2006-02-09 10:18 AM

Of course I will have to vehemently disagree with that statement .......... but you SHOULD make sure that the salesman is capable and knowledgable at fitting before allowing him/her to do it.

No offense to salesmen intended. I was referring to the person that sold me the bike a year ago. This experience proved least the salesman that sold me the bike wasn't.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning Rss Feed