Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Hermes Sports and Events
Total Time = 09m 10s
Overall Rank = 439/929
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 13/49
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30am to take care of the chickens. Ate an egg and cheese on english muffin sandwich and drank a glass of orange juice at 6:45am. Left to pick up my friend Sue and then my niece Sarah and made it to downtown Cleveland around 9:30am. Our start times were just after 10am.
Event warmup:

We picked up our race numbers and t-shirts and then jogged back to the parking garage to put our coats in the car. Hung out with the crowd and got kissed by the Cleveland Cavalier mascot MoonDog (a big furry dog mascot).
Run
  • 09m 10s
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first time doing this event. Actually this is my first race of any kind ever. It was a lot of fun and for a good cause. Runners would line up at the starting line and each runner started by themselves at 10 second intervals. I took 2 stairs at a time pretty much the whole climb and this worked out very well for me. The only problem was that I developed a deep burning in my trachea near the end of the race. It was pretty painful and most of the other runners complained of the same thing. Something in the air in the stairwell I guess.
What would you do differently?:

I stopped once for water, but probably could have done the whole thing without stopping.
Post race
Warm down:

I was the first in my group to leave the start line. I waited at the top for Sue who was next. Then a couple of minutes until my niece Sarah showed up. Turns out she took a mis-step around the 15th floor and fell down a half flight of stairs on her tail bone. She is fine, but going to be sore tomorrow. Rode the elevator down and immediately went outside for some fresh air. That really helped calm down the burning in my throat. Then we went and picked up our banana, granola bar and orange juice before heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a pretty decent head cold with serious snots going on. I didn't feel too bad during the run, but I'm sure it didn't help me any either.

Event comments:

This is my first official timed event of any kind I have ever done. I had a LOT of fun!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2006-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:09:10 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/929
Performance: Good
Course: Stair climbing event. 42 floors to the top of the Terminal Tower.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes