Canada
-30C / -22F
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before - pasta supper, glass wine, two movies(dvd) popcorn and water, lay out clothing plus extras if cold, bed at 1am.
Breakfast - up at 6:45, coffee, bagel, water, yogurt, orange, pack race bag, shower
Event warmup:

At event, dress in everything I brought as it was truly arctic!
clothing - heavy socks, shoes, biking tights, shell pants, long sleeve water wicking shirt, core fleece t, fleece hoody, light nylon windbreaker, lycra hood, wool cap, big fleece neck/hood, gloves, fuel belt, 3 gels
Run
  • 2h 34m 45s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I found it hard not to run someone else's pace. In that a group would pass and I'd want to run their pace. Crazycanuck kept me in line. Started at the back, and progressed from there as the mileage picked up. Very comfortable pace. At the 5 mile mark, had to take a washroom breat - damn fruit! At about 8 mile, got a small cramp and with Crazycanucks advise, drank more and felt better. Someone shagged the mile markers as we ran accross the field and it was a little disconcerting as all we had was our time to tell us how far we were. Running in the extreme cold, my fuel belt was exposed and two of the five bottles froze.
Gels worked well as I downed 1 every 45 min. Warm them up in glove and they go down easier.
What would you do differently?:

1)lighter meal the night before and into bed earlier.
2)significantly lower alcohol 1 week prior as there were three heavy nights as I was away from home and on course
3)remove the fruit and yogurt from pre race meal( and I knew that and forgot!)
4)pack race bag the night before
5)scout the water locations and drink more and parhaps not bring my own source
6)wear the bodylynx system in case markers are off
7)drink more, weigh less!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked into the chalet and changed to dry cloths. Immediately downed bottle gatorade and a protein shake. Washroom break(almost empty and very yellow). Hit the hot tub about an hour after race, felt ok, more gatorade. Treated ourselves to burger factory(double quarterpounnder and poutine, ice tea) and two tylenal.
Weighd in about 3-4 pounds less than started.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Number one reason was weight. I believe the cold and all the clothing were significant factors but we had no choice and I believe that everyone could have ran the same course faster in warmer weather.

The weight thing is big. I can only imagin doing that at 185!

Event comments:

I found this to be an overall very well organized event. We had police stopping traffic for us, volunteers showing us the way and the positive comraderie by all the runners was very well appreciated. My wife is wearing the gift toque today. I was a little discombobulated by the mileage markers and the accuracy of the overall distance. I rated the post race acivities low because the meal looked great and I was really looking forward to it but the seating was inadequate and there was a twenty minute line up to eat so we passed on that. But these are only minor and the overall setting was fantastic and extremely posisitve.

I learned a hell of a lot on just this one event. I am one of those guys who has to learn from experience, and because of that, I did some things my way instead of listening to the wiser beings. The wiser beings are usually correct!

Overall, race wise I have to drink more and weigh less. I feel a great sense of accomplishment and am proud I trained so hard and feel pretty good today. I am pleased by the fact I had gas left in the tank at the end.

And thanks to Crazycanuck for being a good run partner.

Last updated: 2005-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:34:45 | 13.11 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Average was 143, high I felt, for the pace. Highest was 161 as I gave a little kick at the end. Never felt I was working hard enough for such high rates. Cold I guess.
Course: Not really familiar with Winnipeg but I found the course interesting and dynamic as we ran over different surfaces and widths. Only one tiny hill ay the end and when my body changed aligment to climb it after 13 miles, I voiced my displeasure!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2-3
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-01 6:28 AM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Subject: Hypothermic 1/2

2006-03-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: #357369

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Hypothermic 1/2
congrats!!!!!!  kudo's to you. This race sounds like a truly challenging race. Anyone who can brave -22F temps is a hero in my books, never mind running in it!!!!
2006-03-01 1:15 PM

Expert
well, I won't be complaining about the cold in Hyannis this past weekend anymore Anyone who signs up for a race with Hypothermic in the name is truly dedicated. Nice run and way to brave the conditions.

Mark
2006-03-01 1:19 PM

Pro
Andover
Well done!

Guess we slackers that did the balmy 1/2 in Hyannis have nothing to complain about any longer. It was good while it lasted though.

Keep up the good work!
2006-03-03 8:56 AM

User image

New user

Saskatoon Sask.
Hi Highway

Nice work on the 1/2. I just did my first 1/2 for the Hypothermic in Saskatoon on the 26th. It was darn cold also, but a great experience. Just wondering: how have you been feeling/training after the race. I've been a bit of a slacker myself.

ian
2006-03-03 5:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-03-11 3:45 PM
in reply to: #359815

Regular
Winnipeg

Hi,

basically did a light week, but in the past week I've had a few good strong runs.  Nothing prepares you for that knid of cold!

2006-03-11 3:47 PM

Regular
Winnipeg
Thanks for the support!  This is such a terrific sight.  I can honestly say I wouldn't work this hard without my fellow BTers watching my back!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hypothermic 1/2 Rss Feed