Arizona Senior Olympics
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 21s
Overall Rank = 24/88
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Waited for over 2 hours for my swim wave to start. Ate GU 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Swam about 1/2 lap
Swim
  • 10m 31s
  • 450 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was surprised at how well I swam. I felt confident that I would complete the swim ok, but actually swam at a good steady pace and beat around 6 swimmers from the final wave out of the pool.
What would you do differently?:

First time with swim cap on. Seal with my goggles was good, but I got a little water in. Would like to get a better seal. Perhaps putting the seal for the goggles under the lip of the cap would work better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time is included in bike time for both transition 1 and transition 2.

Had trouble with the first bike shoe and started to put helmet on before putting jersey on.

a tri suit looks like it would speed up the transition from swim to bike.
Bike
  • 36m
  • 12 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Was not ready for the first lap marker stop. Had to stop in high gear and had a little trouble clipping back in.

Drink a little more water - lead to a slight cramp at the beginning of the run. (was able to shed the cramp in the 1st half mile of the run with breathing and a cup of water).

If I start in a late wave, look to see where there is a marker stop - if applicable.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

nothing, quick transition! Even ate GU super quick!
Run
  • 22m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Heavy Jelly legs for the first mile. Found the run a lot tougher than I pictured it being. Mostly from the Jelly legs. Also had a small cramp that I was able to shake in the first 1/2 mile with breathing and a water stop.

Worked well with another runner to pass 3 runners and put distance on them.

Finished strong, although did not have enough to put a hard sprint on to the finish.

Understand the heavy jelly leg feeling and drink more water at the beginning of the run or transition.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to bike rack and put on a hat. Drank water, stretched, and clapped for others finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very happy with finish and time. Only felt I lost time in the first transition, but not very much time lost.

Event comments:

Liked the race. It was a all ages triathlon in conjunction with the Arizona Senior Olympics, so there were a lot more older folks. It was well run, except for a slow check in that led to the start times running behind.

Last updated: 2006-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:31 | 450 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 0/88
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-shorts
Course: Indoor 25 yard lap pool. Shared lane 8 - a wider lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:00 | 12 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/5
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 3 mile loop. Had to stop at the completion of each lap to get a mark on the arm.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:38 | 03 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Performance: Average
Course: Same course as the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-05 9:47 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Generations Triathlon & Duathlon

2006-03-05 10:11 PM
in reply to: #361670

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Generations Triathlon & Duathlon

Congrats Triathlete!!

Cool won hardware in your first Tri!!

Awesome...now when is your next one?

2006-03-05 10:42 PM
in reply to: #361688

User image

Mesa
KathyG - 2006-03-05 9:11 PM

when is your next one?

2 weeks - March 19th. It is put on by the same people. This time in Scottsdale, AZ. Closer to home .. yay

http://www.trifamilyracing.com/Events/2006_MarScottsTri.htm
2006-03-06 7:11 PM
in reply to: #361670

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race and report. No fair getting hardware in your first race
2006-03-08 3:37 PM
in reply to: #362638

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

WTG!!! I was there and can agree with you on the initial 2 hour wait sucked.  Lucky for you I wasn't in your age group though...I was this close [    ] to putting myself down as a 30-34 age grouper.  But when I registered the lady told me they weren't running the show based on curent USAT rules and to just put in my age as of last month.

So how did you like that merging into traffic from T1 on the bike.  I swear I thought I was going to hit somebody...my buddy got into an accident during that race in that spot and ended up going over the handle bars.  Scarry spot!

Congrats on your awesome race, and I hope you do well in Scottsdale!  How about the GCC race, you plan on doing that? 

2006-03-08 8:09 PM
in reply to: #364459

User image

Mesa
Casey, I'll see you in Scottsdale.

When I went through the traffic merge on the bike just after T1 the intersection was clear so I had no trouble there. That sucks that your friend went over his handle bars. Since my bike is new I dread the first crash... do not want scratches....lol

The first thing I am doing at Scottsdale is taking a look for where the lap marking station is. I wasn't ready for that first spot and got stuck in the highest gear and then had a little difficulty clipping in.

I had planned on doing the Rocky Point Olympic Triathlon on April 29th. Disappointingly, they canceled it. In its place I am planning on doing the Armed Forces International distance triathlon on April 30th, so I won't be doing GCC. Are you doing the Tri-Family points series?

2006-03-10 9:44 AM
in reply to: #364696

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

Andrew....right?

I think we talked after the race and just before the awards ceremony...I remember you talking about your race plans...good luck at the Armed Forces International race.

On the clipping in and out at the marking station.  I was clipping out for the first two laps and then found that they could still mark me without clipping out but I had to balance a little...something you will undoubtably get better at the more you ride.

Yes I am doing the points series.  Be ready for some really stiff competitors in your/our age group.  I can instantly think of at least 3 names who didn't show up to the generations that would have easily posted sub 1 hour times.

If this is your first season are you sure you want to increase to longer races than sprints?  The only reason I say that is cause I'm afraid you'll burn out if you try to go to long to fast.  I'm in my 3rd year of this insane sport and just now signing up for my first HIM and have only 2 Oly/International distances under my belt.

You need to do whatever you think your comfortable with but I was just trying to suggest you stick with morale boosting races for your first year and then maybe step it up.  Anyways, good luck and can't wait to see you out there again.

2006-03-11 12:26 PM
in reply to: #366226

User image

Mesa
Yep, Andrew or Andy. I remember talking to you just after the awards. I actually look at the challenge of the longer races as a big motivator. I used to race long distance running races usually from 10k races to 1/2 marathons. It was years ago, but I feel like I am able to draw on that experience. My goal is to race the international and olympic distance races and then throw some sprints in like the Scottsdale one when they fit in. Of course we will see how my frame of mind is after I get a Olympic in.

This rain is bumming me.... I wanted to bike the Ironman course today or tomorrow. I am going to hit the pool instead.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Generations Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed