42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 30s
Overall Rank = 597/631
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nerves, Nerves, and more Nerves.

I ate a Banana and some Special K hoping to calm the butterflies ahead of my first long-distance run.

I left my hydration belt at home after much debate for 2 reasons: 1. I didn't know if I was going to be the only one there with one, or 2. If only the elite people had them, I didn't want to look like someone who was fast, when I know I'm not.

I arrived at about 6:15 for packet pickup b/c I thought the race started at 7am, not 7:30.
Event warmup:

Waited around the cafeteria to keep warm.

Took a couple of block jog down to the trail and back. (~1/2 mile)
Run
  • 2h 43m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first long-dietance run, so I was scared about what to expect, how to prepare, etc.
The day started out well with keeping around a 12min/mile pace that felt nice and comfortable. I promised myself that I would try and go really fast just to keep up with others and to simply run my own race. I also wanted to see how long I could go before I felt the need to start walking.

Once we hit the trail the "fun" started. Around mile 5, the "what are you doing" fears hit and the emotions started to come out. The build-up of everything I had suffered through in the past year and the struggle that still lay ahead to get to where I want to be was just simply overwhelming and I nearly started to cry. Then, I tried to think of anything else to took my mind off the running and nearly rolled my ankle when I drifted off the trail.

Around mile 7, I started to really feel the distance and the fear of how far I had yet to go, but kept repeating the "DFL>DNF>DNS" mantra in my head. Anything to keep from stopping.

After the turn-around, I finally hit the need to walk. Running uphill after that distance was just too much for my legs. From there on, it was a walk/run strategy. Some miles were more run than walk, and others were vice-versa up until mile 12. When I hit the 12-mile mark, I simply sucked it up and told myself "You will NOT walk the last mile of your race. If you have any honor, you will leave everything you have on this run." With that I started to run. It wasn't a fast run, but it was running none-the-less.

As I came down the finishing stretch, I remembered the picture of Renee coming across the line at Gasparilla. Even though I didn't have everyone sitting there physically, I had a large number of people pushing me there mentally.
What would you do differently?:

1. Not leave my hydration belt at home. I figured that I needed even more than most b/c it took me longer to get from water station to water station.

2. Only wear regular shorts over my tri-shorts. I wore my long running tights over my tri-shorts and I think the friction of the two materials probably cost me some level of energy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and back to the school which was the start and finish for the full marathon.

Stretched, had 2 bananas, and 24oz of Accelerade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition/Hydration
Clothing

Event comments:

For my first long-distance race, I would have to say that this was a positive experience. The range of emotions that I went through was staggering and was likely even moreso since I did not take an iPod with me. I wanted to experience this run in the same fashion that I will have to experience my 1/2 IM at the end of the season.

Last updated: 2006-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:43:37 | 13.1 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 597/631
Performance: Average
Course: First 3 miles through residential streets with a few hills then onto the flat B&A Trail. Long sweeping hill at the turn-around (downhill to TA, then back uphill)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-03-06 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: B&A Trail Half-Marathon

2006-03-06 9:56 AM
in reply to: #361902

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Half-Marathon

YAY! You did your first half mary!!! Congrats!

As I came down the finishing stretch, I remembered the picture of Renee coming across the line at Gasparilla. Even though I didn't have everyone sitting there physically, I had a large number of people pushing me there mentally.

What a great feeling - to know that everyone is cheering for you, whether it's real-time or virtual.  Way to go on your race!!!

2006-03-07 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Reston, VA
hey good job

i'm looking at the temperatures posted by the three of us who reported on this race..i think i may have overexagerrated on the temperature...i posted 25 degrees..it was cold, but not that cold...its just funny
2006-03-10 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on your first 1/2 Mary!

I'm bringing my amphipod to my 1/2 even if I look geeky......I can't drink out of a cup so I am not debating that issue.

You hung in there during the tough parts and adjusted your plan.  Be proud of how to perserved and accomplished a huge thing...this will help in your mental toughness in your 1/2 IM this year!

Congrats!

2006-03-11 5:22 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
HEh, I'm totally bringing my new bumbag with a water bottle (and packed with pb+j sandwhiches, crackers, glucose tabs and lifesavers) to my first half mary. Aid stations are 3 miles apart, and i worry compulsively about my diabeticness. I have a feeling that my race report will be much like yours in the emotional aspect.

Good job on keeping your pace consistent!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » B&A Trail Half-Marathon Rss Feed