Annapolis Striders
25F / -4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 24s
Overall Rank = 259/631
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was sick all week with a cold, so I didn't get in much training. Running on Sunday was looking like it wasn't going to happen. Saturday night, my boyfriend gave me a shot of this czech liquor we bought in Prague last year, that he swore would cure what ailed me. Sunday morning I woke up, feeling almost 100% better. I still had the sniffles, but the sinus headache was gone. Rock on!

Drove to the race, got lost twice..but still got to the highschool in time to get the last parking spot in the front lot. Took a couple easy jogs, used the toilet, and went outside to start the race.
Run
  • 1h 54m 24s
  • 13 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

When I went to bed Saturday night still feeling kinda icky from the cold I had all week, I decided I was just going to take it easy in the morning - treat the race like a training run (I have another race on 3/25). Sunday morning i woke up, feeling better. I decided..i would play it by ear. I would try to race it, but if i couldn't, i would just accept that and finish whenever. I ended up finishing in my average 1/2 marathon time...so I am very happy.
What would you do differently?:

I would've brought extra clothes to change into afterwards. I was a cold sweaty mess afterwards.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the highschool. Had some water and a bagel. Got in my car and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My feet were killing me...not sure where that came from..but around mile 10..ow! I should probably work on stretching some more. Though the tightness may have been due to not working out all week.

Event comments:

Good way to start my season.

Last updated: 2006-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:24 | 13 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 259/631
Performance: Good
Course: It was a nice course. First 3 miles through neighborhoods had us running on some rolling hills. The rest of the race was on a flat Rails-to-Trails path. There was a big hill at mile 7, which slowed me down a bit, but i was able to get it back together on the rest of the race. I thought the course was lacking a bit in water support, but other than that, it was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-06 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston, VA
Subject: B&A Trail Half Marathon

2006-03-06 12:47 PM
in reply to: #362128

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Half Marathon
Sounds familiar! I too fought something all week and ran sick. At least it was a semi-decent day for the race.

Nice job on the run all things considered.
2006-03-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #362128

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Half Marathon
Awesome run time and great race, especially with being sick and having it be so cold.  Great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » B&A Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed