General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My running shoe shopping experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-21 12:55 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: My running shoe shopping experience
While I'm here in Salt Lake for a conference, I decided to go to Salt Lake Running Co because I saw on their website that they did a video biomechanical analysis of your feet while running.

I started off by telling the salesperson about my running shoe experience. I bought my first pair of shoes w/o knowing what I was buying, but they felt good while running. Then in December when I went to my local running store, the sales person looked at my feet as I stood and said that I needed a stability shoe and a 1/2 size smaller. I also told him about the pain in my two toes on my left foot and how I felt like there was too much control in my current shoe.

After this he pulls out a neutral shoe and has me run for a few minutes. We look at the video and determined that I am a neutral runner and don't need the stability control that I was told I needed.

He looked at my toes and said that I had a slightly abnormal shaped foot, so he go me to try on different shoes at both 10.5 and 11 sizes to help the toe pain. The 11s were too big and most of the 10.5 still had toe pain. So we started looking at the toe box of shoes to find a good fit with my foot. The best shoes were the ones that had a lot of mesh on the end to give to my toes.

I ended up choosing the same model (except 1 year newer) Asics Gel Landreth and did another video analysis to make sure that it was still a good fit for my running style.

Also, I got some Superfeet orthodic inserts for my flat feet.

Overall, it was a great experience and good to see the video of how I run match up with the shoe that I felt the best in.

2006-03-21 4:05 AM
in reply to: #375086

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: My running shoe shopping experience
i spent almost two hours with the guy in my running shoe shop (up and running hyde if anybody in england cares!) and he was great. tried on about 5 pairs of trainers, and did both walking, stationary and running machine analysis. i apparently have flat arches, unstable feet and i overpronate, oh and my second toe is bigger than my first! and here's me thinking i'm just crap at running :P

he's an ironman triathlete and also sold me a orca superfull at half price - top guy; thanks jason

oh and half way throuhg the experience the other two guys in the shop went on their training run even though both had done the wilmslow half the day before
2006-03-21 11:22 AM

User image

Montana
I just bought new running shoes at Fleet Feet this weekend. Now I've been a consumer of "trainers" since I was 15, through hs and college track, which the school provided for us via our team sponsor. Now that I am a free agent so to speak, I thought I should put more research into picking out my shoes rather than choosing by look and price.

Fleet Feet did the video analysis, and I was able to run in EVERY pair of shoes I tried until I found the best one. The gal that helped me was great and spent 45 minutes with me-fantastic service and would recommend that anyone shopping for running shoes goes to either Fleet Feet or a comparable runner-specific store (not a generic sporting goods shop).
2006-03-21 11:27 AM

User image

Giver

mnewton - 2006-03-21 1:55 AM We look at the video and determined that I am a neutral runner and don't need the stability control that I was told I needed.

You had me and then you lost me. You really have flat feet but a neutral gait? They said you didn't need stability control, but that you need inserts? Something's not right...

If you have flat feet, there's an extremely good chance you need a good bit of motion control.

But if you don't need motion control (like they said), then you don't need the inserts because that is exactly what they provide. 

2006-03-21 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
I needed a good pair of running shoes so I drove to Knoxville, TN (about 60 miles from home) to the Runners Market. The salesman had me walk around the store and told me I had perfect mechanics. Well, whatever that means, he told me I could wear any shoe with no problems. I tried on 3 pairs and the 3rd pair was a match made in heaven. I bought the Brooks Radius 5. I wore them for 2 weaks of training and then ran a 1/2 marathon. This may not be the best shoe on the market but it has been the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned.
2006-03-21 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

I've been very lucky with running shoes.  Here's my funny (well maybe not so funny) running shoe story.

I bought a new pair of shoes for the marathon last year (Disney 2005)...spent 110 bux on 'em...and I can't remember their name now.  They were Nike...white with a yellow/orange flavor to 'em.  Comfortable.  Trained in 'em for a month and a half before marathon.  But after running the actual marathon, I had pain in the bottoms of my feet and in my ankles like I've never had before.  Couldn't walk right for 5 days.

This year, for the Gasparilla marathon I decided to buy a cheaper pair of running shoes...at (of all places) SEARS!  They're Nike again, Air Run D they're called.  58 bux.  I ran the marathon in just over 4 hours, felt great for days after, no foot or ankle pain, did a duathlon, two 5K's, and a tri in them and they're still awesome. 

Funny how the most expensive stuff isn't always the best.  At least not for everyone.  People were telling me left and right "YOU NEED TO SPEND AT LEAST 75 DOLLARS FOR ANYTHING TO RUN A MARATHON IN".  But hey, these 60 dollar Nike shoes from Sears rock, and I just bought another pair.  Go figure.

2006-03-21 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Welcome to Salt Lake. I'm glad we could help you
2006-03-21 9:53 PM
in reply to: #375440

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Arch support isn't necessarily the same as needing motion control or stability.  There is no reason why someone with flat arches (thus possibly needing inserts) couldn't be fine with a neutral shoe assuming they don't have any pronation issues.

run4yrlif - 2006-03-21 12:27 PM

mnewton - 2006-03-21 1:55 AM We look at the video and determined that I am a neutral runner and don't need the stability control that I was told I needed.

You had me and then you lost me. You really have flat feet but a neutral gait? They said you didn't need stability control, but that you need inserts? Something's not right...

If you have flat feet, there's an extremely good chance you need a good bit of motion control.

But if you don't need motion control (like they said), then you don't need the inserts because that is exactly what they provide.

2006-03-22 6:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-03-22 3:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, KS
arches rarely have anything to do with pronation, be it overpronation, under pronation or neutral. It also has to do with your foot flexibility, whether it is rigid or flexible. I have the hardest time finding shoes that fit me correctly b/c my left foot is about 3/4 size bigger than my right foot, while also having a lower arch than my right, so I end up buying a lower arched and a bigger shoe than I actually need.

Nikes suck IMO b/c they are very narrow and heel slippage occurs, I do like Asics though they are heavy shoes, feels like clodhoppers to me. They only shoes that I have found to fit my feet perfectly are Mizuno's. I love the Wave Rider's and the lightweight trainer/racer the Precision, although I end up running more than tempos and speed w/o's in them cause I love them so much. The Precisions are like heaven, like running on clouds. Not good for bigger runners though.
2006-03-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #375433

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Now that I am a free agent so to speak, I thought I should put more research into picking out my shoes rather than choosing by look and price. Fleet Feet did the video analysis, and I was able to run in EVERY pair of shoes I tried until I found the best one. The gal that helped me was great and spent 45 minutes with me-fantastic service and would recommend that anyone shopping for running shoes goes to either Fleet Feet or a comparable runner-specific store (not a generic sporting goods shop).

A few years back I had a video gait analysis at Boulder Running Co.  Post-op knee pain stopped my running until this year.  Went over to Runner's Roost during lunch today and about 40 minutes, 4 pairs of shoes, 3 gait analyses to check each pair, and 3 or 4 trips up and back on the sidewalk put me in a pair of Asics Kayano XII's.  Need to run it my financial consultant/banker/wife so she's not floored by the sticker shock, but I think it's looking good.   Great shoe too!!

2006-03-22 5:54 PM
in reply to: #376873

Master
brummie land
i got mizuno's and i have crap feet. very nice trainers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My running shoe shopping experience Rss Feed