Other Resources My Cup of Joe » gay marriage ban Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-03-22 7:33 AM
in reply to: #376188

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: gay marriage ban
that's beautiful. i'll have to remember that one.

2006-03-22 7:37 AM
in reply to: #375962

User image

Elite
South Florida
run4yrlif - 2006-03-21 7:28 PM

You know...I could give a flying f*&k what churches want to endorse, they being private institutions and all. But for the state to purposefully discriminate against a certain group of people is just plain and simply wrong.

Beautifully said!
2006-03-22 7:40 AM
in reply to: #376205

User image

molto veloce mama
Hmmmm ... careful with the size brush that is being painted with - I know many life long conservative church going Republicans who support the notion of gay marriage and more than one Democrat who do not.

please reread my original post. i think you are adding your own assumptions between the lines.

"that these are some of the same people who rely on faith or spirit "

i am not pointing my finger at every church going person, not by a long shot. nor am i pointing my finger at the republicans (i didn't even mention political affiliation in my post). i was mad at the protestors specifically, and at the idea that the constitution could be changed because of people who are opposed to gay marriage based on religious reasons.
2006-03-22 7:45 AM
in reply to: #376255

User image

molto veloce mama
i feel the same way. we have seperation of church and state. this is an issue of giving LEGAL rights to couples who should have them. personally, if i had that time and energy, i'd be out protesting about parents who skip out on child support payments, or who abuse their spouse or children, or spending that time working with families who are at poverty level.

same goes for pro-life protestors. want to make a difference? go work with low-income moms. one of my close friends (and doula for fiona's birth) is passionately pro-life. we can't talk about the issue because we both feel so strongly about it. instead, we pledged that when our kids are older and we are able to, we would go work with moms.

i am all for free speach and public assembly, and for protests for that matter, i just pains me to see a protest that to ME, seems rooted in hate and fear, not honest concern for others.
2006-03-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: #375942

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
No autumn it's not all about hate and fear. In fact it's not about hate and fear at all. It's about religious conviction. And that folks is a genuine concern for folks. They may subscribe to a belief which you don't understand. Are you reacting to them out of hate and fear? No. You simply disagree. You don't share their belief. They believe in teachings of the Bible which some choose not to acknowledge. That belief is far greater than any loyalty to any constitution.
Hate and fear...far from it.
The complexity is finding a cure that is fair to all.
Simply because you don't believe it, doesn't make it wrong. Same for the other side.
2006-03-22 8:15 AM

User image

Buttercup

Wow. What a mean-spirited amendment - not to mention totally UNAMERICAN. Trying to keep a person's beloved partner from their hospital bedside is downright CRUEL & INHUMANE.

While it makes me sad, I'm not disheartened. People will eventually listen to the better angels of their nature and do the right thing and shit-can that amendment. Just a matter of time before the meanness is overcome with goodness.

Gullah - Nobody is proposing that your church or any church or synagogue be required to sanctify or bless a marriage. Nobody is asking a church to do anything to make gay marriage happen.

Edited by Renee 2006-03-22 8:24 AM

2006-03-22 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
I know this reply is going to gain the scorn of the PC world, but note that in this reply my opinion on the issue is not given. And thus do not read into it what you assume my opinion is, more than likely you would be wrong.

The issue that is being over looked is central to the debate, and that is: What is a marriage? Who are the parties to a marriage?

Many of the concerns that are voiced as "what if" propositions, such as denial of health care benefits or denial of death benefits are in actuality red herrings. In most State's these issues are not necessarily tied into marriage. In most State's you can designate anyone you want as a beneficiary of your estate through a will or as a specific designation on say a pension plan or an insurance policy. Regarding making health care decisions again in most states there are specific statutes that allow for the designation of a health care surrogate to make all health care decisions in case the designator is incapbale of doing so, and that designee can be any competent adult person. And as we have seen with the Terri Shiavo case last year the simple fact there is a marriage does not solve these complex issues, so even when there is a marriage the better advice is to utilize these legal tools that are open to everyone.

So, if there are in fact other legal means to effect the issues such as health care surrogates, estate issues, probate issues, insurance issues, outside of marriage, then an arguement based on the need for civil unions to effectuate these problems is faulty. Also flip the issue, that is ask it another way, If a State has mechanisms that address the legal concerns voiced without the need for a marriage, then what is the need for official state recognition of same sex marriages?
2006-03-22 8:40 AM

User image

Buttercup

Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I get it now! Hold the phone...

Ok, after reading up on this, I see that this is NOT really about gay marriage at all. It's about the Republican Party stirring up their base to get them to the polls!

Minnesota already has a noxious law that forbids gay marriage. This little stunt to change the Minnesota Constitution is merely a device to stir up the passions, bigotry and fears of the base so that they will get out of their Lazy-Boy and get to the polls. The Republicans want more seats; they are the minority party at the moment. The Republicans are adept at exploiting fear to manipulate their base and the undecideds - and to frame their opponents as antiChristian pagans who eat babies with their Cheerios every morning.

Those dang Republicans! Man... Machiavelli would be so proud. I bet he's shedding a proud tear down in hell at this very moment.

Edited by Renee 2006-03-22 8:44 AM
2006-03-22 8:49 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
"it just pains me to see a protest that to ME, seems rooted in hate and fear, not honest concern for others."

please read what i wrote. i am not saying that everyone who disagrees with me on this issue is someone who is filled with hate and fear. i am saying that at THIS protest, the signs and attitude of the protestors was one of anger and hate, not of peaceful religious conviction. if you disagree with gay marriage for religious reasons, that is your right, but one group's religious convictions should not influence the law that governs us all. buddists feel strongly about not eating meat or hurting anyone, but you don't see them at the capital protesting to ban all americans from eating their burgers and fries (again, its everyone's right to be up there protesting whatever the heck the want!).

And as we have seen with the Terri Shiavo case last year the simple fact there is a marriage does not solve these complex issues, so even when there is a marriage the better advice is to utilize these legal tools that are open to everyone.

good point about covering your bases with other legal documents...but it still doesn't solve the basic issue of giving the same basic rights male/female couples already have to same sex couples.

in some ways, there are some similarities to the smoking ban issue. so many people we SO against it, that it infringed on THIER rights. well, if you work in a smoke free office, your rights are already protected. why should it be any different for a server or hostess working in a restaurant. why are the rights of and health risk to that person less important than someone working in an office? the law is not there to protect some, it supposed to be there to protect everyone (not saying they always do, but in theory they should).
2006-03-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #376329

User image

molto veloce mama
Renee - 2006-03-22 8:40 AM

Minnesota already has a noxious law that forbids gay marriage. This little stunt to change the Minnesota Constitution is merely a device to stir up the passions, bigotry and fears of the base so that they will get out of their Lazy-Boy and get to the polls.

bill and i were just talking about this this morning. if there isn't some sort of male/female definition already, why does everyone get asked 'is one of your a man and one of you a woman?' when you file for the marriage licence.

thanks renee.

off to go nibble on my neo-pagan baby
2006-03-22 9:05 AM
in reply to: #376204

User image

Master
Colorado

gullahcracker - 2006-03-22 7:35 AM Well..OK..but if we're holding the Constitution in such high regard here, then why would we want to "amend" it?

This is the issue here for me -- I am personally shuddering in fear that we are talking about amending the constitution to take rights away from people. Slippery slope, y'all, and just because you aren't affected by this particular bill, doesn't mean the trend won't come to you. What aspects of your life would you miss if they were deemed unconsitutional because of someone else's religious belief?

2006-03-22 9:05 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
autumn - 2006-03-21 6:05 PM
love doesn't come from your sex chromosomes, it comes from your soul, mind, and heart.

I don't ask this sarcastically, but want to see how far your logic extends:

Does this mean if I choose to love 3 other people that I should be able to have a legal union with all of them?

If you say no, why then does your logic not extend to allowing polygamy. It would fit your definition.

If you say, because polygamy is not right, demeaning to others, etc. What then has made THIS an issue that people can approve or disapprove and gay marriage an issue that everyone has to except? It is because gay marriage fits into many people's worldview and polygamy doesn't.

A person who takes the Bible as absolute truth will have their worldview shaped by the statements in it.

The problem is that many don't approach the topic of homosexuality in accordance with the teachings of the Bible, because they express their views with hate towards the people who practice such things.

I would caution as Gullah did about labeling me as anything else other than the person I am, because I believe like Autumn does in the case of beliefs.

I believe that if you believe something, your actions and not only your words should match up with what you believe.

So if I believe the Gospel of the Bible is that there is a kingdom coming where there is no more sickness or hunger, I announce that kingdom coming by feeding the hungry and taking medicine to the poor. Like some of my friends do and I support, I take up the issue of pro-life by caring (housing, feeding, etc) women who don't keep the baby, but will have it and give it up for adoption.

Just like with the issue of homosexual marriage, I can believe that homosexuality is wrong, but not let that seperate me from not only saying I love, but actually loving, becoming friends with, etc people who practice homosexuality.

It is like one of my favorite verses in the Bible that really calls for authentic relationships:
I John 3:18 "Let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."
2006-03-22 9:19 AM
in reply to: #376352

User image

molto veloce mama
i see your point, but i never said laws should be based just on love alone. as far as the law goes, i think the marriage law as it is should apply to both different sex and same sex marriages. end of story.

and not to open a whole can of worms, but no, i don't have a problem with polygamy (in theory). i'm by no means a biblical scholar, but isn't polygamy sanctioned by the bible?

2006-03-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #376217

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
gullahcracker

They have a conviction that says Holy Matrimony is..well... Holy and their Bible says that's a man and a woman. Don't argue with me, take it up with God. I'm siding with God . I think there is a way to solve this issue of gay unions but not sure how but I know that for matters of fairness we need to be fair to all.

ASA22 - The issue that is being over looked is central to the debate, and that is: What is a marriage? Who are the parties to a marriage?

Well it's seems true that those who oppose Gay marriage are often basing it on religious beliefs. Remember, though, that bringing ones religious beliefs to the public square is not a violation of the separation of Church and State. If it were, then anyone who opposed homelessness based on a religious conviction could not do anything within the political system to try to change that situation.

However, I think there is a logical and reasonable case to be made against Gay marriage that does not require bringing religion and notions of God into the debate. It's possible to find a common denominator of language which would not exclude anyone, be they religious or not. Whether this arguement ultimately is convincing or not is another issue. But it's at least worth looking at, isn't it?

I think ASA22 gets to the heart of it.

What is marriage?

Edited by dontracy 2006-03-22 9:38 AM
2006-03-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #376228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
But shouldn't there be a separation of the concepts of religious matrimony and civil unions?  If your religion says it is wrong and you don't want to allow gay marriages in your religion, then fine.  I don't think other people should have the right to tell you what you should do within the context of your religion.  Why does only one religion get to have input on the rules for civil marriages and not another? 

EXACTLY.

Separation of church and state not only protects states from church interference, but also churches from state interference. Already, anti-discrimination laws exempt churches from compliance. So don't let some hairshirt preacher tell you that churches would be required to marry gays.

Churches already have the power to decide who they want to marry. Example: Not just any Mormon can have a Temple wedding - you have to be a member in good standing. Catholics restrict marriage to Catholics who agree to a set of rules regarding their married life and child-rearing. An officiant of any faith can decline to marry you if they have a hunch you won't stay together. And let me tell you - our Episcopal priest (who did our pre-marriage counseling) and our officiant (an Episcopal priest in Vermont, where we were married) gave us the third degree about compatibility, conflict resolution, etc. I often joke with my spouse that we cannot ever split up because I'll tell Rev. Mary on her. Calm ensues.

The point is exactly as you made it, hangloose. Get the state out of the "marriage" business and let the churches (continue to) decide whom to sanctify as "married".

2006-03-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #376302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
So, if there are in fact other legal means to effect the issues such as health care surrogates, estate issues, probate issues, insurance issues, outside of marriage, then an arguement based on the need for civil unions to effectuate these problems is faulty. Also flip the issue, that is ask it another way, If a State has mechanisms that address the legal concerns voiced without the need for a marriage, then what is the need for official state recognition of same sex marriages?

There are over 1000 special rights given to married persons, most of which CANNOT be granted by contract. Examples: Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, death benefits in workers' compensation cases, spousal immunity from testifying in civil and criminal cases, marital confidentialty privilege as to written and oral evidence...

From the Human Rights Campaign website: "There are at least 1,049 protections, benefits and responsibilities extended to married couples under federal law, according to a 1997 study by the General Accounting Office. Gay and lesbian couples in lifelong relationships pay higher taxes and are denied basic protections under the law. They receive no Social Security survivor benefits upon the death of a partner, despite paying payroll taxes. They must pay federal income taxes on their employer’s contributions toward their domestic partner’s health insurance, while married employees do not have to pay such taxes for their spouses. They must pay all estate taxes when a partner dies. They often pay significant tax penalties when they inherit a 401(k) from their partner. They are denied family leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act."

Further, the rights that you point to as being contractual are subordinate to statutory rights, e;g., my mother-in-law could contest the will between my spouse and me, but if certain of those rights were granted by law, they could not be so easily challenged.

2006-03-22 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Sigh...  this is such a troubling issue to me simply because it deliberately pushes an already marginalized group further into the margins.  Its interesting to me that, if our Congress were to amend the Constitution (which I doubt they ever will, thank God), it'd be the first time in the history of this country that we'd be taking away rights of certain people. 

As for the acceptance of gay marriage being a prelude to legalized polygamy, don't you think that's a stretch?  We're not talking about the number of people to be joined in a legal civil union, just who a person chooses to call their mate.  Its as simple as changing the language from "a man and a woman" to "two people".  As for me, one wife is plenty, thank you very much.

Tom

2006-03-22 9:49 AM
in reply to: #376352

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
mnewton - 2006-03-22 9:05 AM
Does this mean if I choose to love 3 other people that I should be able to have a legal union with all of them?

But we're not talking about polygamy. Or incest. Or bestiality. Or any of those other noxious slippery-slope arguments that anti-marriage zealots reach for when they can't find anything else.

It's about fairness between two consenting adults of legal age. It's also about promoting social stability and keeping families together.

My blood pressure's going up. I'm going out for a brick.
2006-03-22 9:50 AM
in reply to: #376400

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Matchman - 2006-03-22 10:45 AM

Sigh... this is such a troubling issue to me simply because it deliberately pushes an already marginalized group further into the margins. Its interesting to me that, if our Congress were to amend the Constitution (which I doubt they ever will, thank God), it'd be the first time in the history of this country that we'd be taking away rights of certain people.

Tom

not entirely...remember prohibition? and we all remember how well that turned out
2006-03-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: #376400

User image

Matchman -

As for the acceptance of gay marriage being a prelude to legalized polygamy, don't you think that's a stretch? We're not talking about the number of people to be joined in a legal civil union, just who a person chooses to call their mate.

What mnewton was asking is why?  What is your reasoning based on.  What is the underlying philosophy that would support limiting it to two persons but not three or more?

Is it simply because that's the way you (collective you) want it, or is there more to it than that? 

2006-03-22 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
The whole Gay Marriage thing is a peculiar argument. If you look at it through Judeo Christian eyes, you see it as fundamentally wrong. I do not think this is the case, though. If you look to deny gay marriage on Constitutional grounds, you look to deny equal access and rights to American Citizens, which is legally wrong. Just like segregation denied access, so does this. I am more to the right politically, but have always leaned toward teh Constructionist side. So based on original intent, I get this:

Amendment XIV

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

While, I am definitely not a homosexual, and teh thought of it pretty much grosses me out, unless it involves Adrianna Lima and Giselle Bundchen, I find the whole discriminating about marriage to be quite wrong. Hell, let them be as miserable as the rest of us. The trial lawyers need more work anyways.

2006-03-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #376403

User image

GatorJamie - It's also about promoting social stability and keeping families together.

If that's one answer to the why, then I would ask, and I mean this sincerely, why is this a good thing? Where did this concept that we ought to promote social stability and keep families together come from?

And, if it is indeed a good thing to keep families together, does this mean that the state has a right to, for example, have a say in divorce law? Would it be reasonable then, for the state to roll back no-fault divorce laws with the intent of keeping families together?

Edited by dontracy 2006-03-22 9:59 AM
2006-03-22 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California

One more reason to move up to Canada people! or not move up i guess depend on your view.  Everyone can get married here .  Gay marriage planners are a big growing industry up here. 

On a funny note, they forgot to change the lanuage in the divorce act (i think thats whats it's called) and it still refered to a man and woman instead of 2 persons, so the first gay divoce got hung up until they changed that too.

2006-03-22 11:17 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
I keep hearing all sorts of talk about "rights" can someone tell me where the "right" to be married is located? Is it a natural right, that is does it simply exist? Could the "state" do away with all marriages. (I understand the Due process issue that once a right is granted even if it is a newly created right, it cannot be deprived without Due process). I again ask the question what is a "marriage" from a purely legal perspective? What does the legal concept of marriage mean?

before you all jump down my throat, this is a question and not a statement regarding my personal beliefs on the subject: What "rights" are being denied by not allowing same sex "marriages"?

I've heard and read people say certain property rights are being denied to the "spouse" of a same sex union with the State acknowledgment of same sex marriage. What property rights? With a will you can leave any property to anyone you wish. With a specific designation you can leave pensions, insurance proceeds and retirement accounts to anyone you want. With a health care proxy designation you can designate anyone you want to make medical decisions for you?

These are criticle questions that must be resolved rationally. Especially if you are in favor of legal recognition of same sex marriages. Because if you fail to address these issues in a logical, well thought out perspective, that addresses what a marriage is, what the state's compelling/non-compelling interest is in restricting marriages, where the "right" comes from, you will ultimately not succeed in effectuating change. Ranting against the wind that it's not fair or violates some "right" is simply ranting against the wind. Which to this point has been the down fall of those that are in favor of legal recognition of same sex marriages. Their arguments have been weak at best and as such they have had relatively little success in change.
2006-03-22 11:25 AM
in reply to: #376548

User image

Giver

ASA22 - 2006-03-22 12:17 PM  What property rights? With a will you can leave any property to anyone you wish. 

Just to pick out one of your points, without a will, the deceased's estate goes to the spouse. If you're not in a spousal relationship, it goes to probate. I'm not a probate attorney, so correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

So there's one example. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » gay marriage ban Rss Feed  

of 8