USAT
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 58s
Overall Rank = 51/124
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little more than 2 hours before the race start, and had a bowl of cereal. I was at my brother-in-law's house, and he was racing also. Had a Clif bar on the ride over, and got everything all set up. Interesting note #1: My BIL has a little more money than I, and he got a new set of wheels (ZIPP carbon - very sweet) which cost more than I paid for my bike, including the new saddle, and new aerobars/handlbars. Interesting note #2: This race had no designated spots in the transition area. Since the entry into T1 was into the middle of the area, that's where I racked my bike! Therefore, I minimized my distance in T1 and only had to traverse the transition area once in T2.
Event warmup:

After getting my transition all set up, I went for about a 3 or 4 minute warmup run. Just to get my legs ready for the day's festivities. Then, I put my swim cap and goggles on and tested the water. Woo-Hoo! I can actually breathe! The water was rather clear, and not cold at all. This might be a good swim after all!
Swim
  • 11m 57s
  • 650 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

After my last swim http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I had reason to possess a little trepidation. However, the water was much clearer and much warmer, so those two things were erased from the equation. Second, I had decided just to swim easy and let the rest of the swimmers clamor around - just stay out of their way, and that seemed to work. I got into a nice rhythm and kept it. I would sight occassionally, but most often used my fellow swimmers as a reference. I got off course a little to the right once or twice, most notably at the "turn buoy". I had to make an effort to swim to the left and squeeze between the buoy and another swimmer. From there, I put my head down and swam straight on in to Sydney! When I felt my hand drag bottom, I stood and started to run. Final note: My time for my previous 500 meter open water swim was 13:34. This swim was 100 meters longer, but TWO MINUTES FASTER!
What would you do differently?:

Here's the other thing. There were no waves despite the 120 (?) or so competitors. Furthermore, the starting area was pretty narrow, so this made for a crowded start. Maybe I would be a little more aggressive at the swim start and try to get myself positioned for a draft. But the bottom line is that my goal was to swim the entire distance freestyle and I did that. The time took care of itself.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Because I was able to pick my spot, I positioned my bike just off the entry from the swim, where I would get to it right away. I had to run the transition are with my bike shoes on, but that was ok. Here's the interesting part. These times from here on in are approximate, because my Chip screwed up. All the times I have were taken from my Timex.

If I had gotten there earlier, I could have placed my bike nearer the bike exit/entry, which were on the same side. That would have allowed me to run through the transition area without my bike for longer.
Bike
  • 37m 25s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.85 mile/hr
Comments:

After we got started, a few stronger riders passed me, but I passed way more than I got passed. Noticed that I forgot to hit the Lap button, so I hit it again at 0.5 miles. Therefore, my time for the bike is "extrapolated". After a couple of miles, we hit the dam road, with the wind full in our face. I managed to keep about 18 mph against the wind, but it was a battle. After the turnaround, I held about 24 - 25 mph with the wind. Then, the course goes past the road to the transition and down a big hill. After a mile or so, you turn around and head back up the hill. The bad news is that after mashing up that hill, the road back to the transition is downhill, so it doesn't do a whole lot of good to spin down it. SOOOO, your legs are toast to start the run. Luckily, it's just a sprint, right?

I took a couple of miles off between 9 and 12, so I might try to focus a little more through the race. I guess I was afraid of the cramps that I experienced at the beginnings of the runs of my other two races, but there were no cramps here.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

OK, got my feet out of my shoes prior to the final turn. I was able to run to the rack, and I only had to put on my socks and shoes, then grab my visor and race belt and I was off!

I thought I did the transition pretty well. I am still mulling obtaining some shoes that I can wear without socks to cut that step out, but have not gone that direction just yet.
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

All right, all right, I kinda lolligagged it for the first mile, and turned in a 7:10. I reminded myself that this was the run and a short one at that, so I started attacking a little better. The second and third miles were at 6:46 and 6:40, respectively. At the finish, the announcer, who knows my BIL, called out that Uncle Phil was finishing, but Uncle Phil was outspent by Uncle Brent for this race. Good stuff.

Attack more on the beginning of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some apple and a bananna, which I shared with my 2-year old. Then, waited around to hear the results. Oh yeah, one slice of pizza, too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'll just come out and say it. The swim. But let's not forget focus during the whole race.

Event comments:

The only bummer was that as we waited for the results, they announce the third-place Clydesdale, and his time was slower than mine, so I thought I had second, but they did not announce me! I went and talked to the race director afterwards, and my chip did not register at all. I was listed as "DNF". HOWEVER, he took my word on my 1:12:01, and said he would submit that to USAT, and then he gave me a third place trophy! Woo-hoo! Overall, it was a great race, and I am pleased with my performance on all three segments.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:57 | 650 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/124
Performance: Good
Suit: Pearl Izumi Tri Shorts
Course: Started at a grassy point and went about 550 yards, then took one right turn and went to the shore. The wind was blowing a good bit, even at the swim start, but luckily, it was "at our backs" for the swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:25 | 13 miles | 20.85 mile/hr
Overall: 48/124
Wind: Strong
Course: Almost all flat. The majority crosses a dam and spillway on the lake we swam in, so there was no hiding from the wind there. The only good news was that the out portion was against the wind, while the back was with it. There is one rather steep hill at the end of the bike, so that is nice on the legs heading out to the run.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:36 | 03 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 34/124
Course: Just an out and back, with a small incline at the start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-05-24 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: 4 States Triathlon

2004-05-24 5:43 PM
in reply to: #26950

User image

Veteran
Owen
Subject: RE: 4 States Triathlon
great job!
2004-05-24 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Strong performance Tiger Phil!! Your swim improved. Nice strong bike leg, and I'm very envious of your run splits!! All in all it looks like a great race. :-)
2004-05-25 1:31 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Great race report, sorry to hear about your chip, but great race and blazing run.
2004-05-25 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Awesome Job, sucks about your chip malfunctioning.
2004-05-25 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
The race director was very accomodating as far as accepting my word for my total time, so that was great. The only bummer was that I thought that I made two improvements on my transitions, and I was eager to see how they worked out in comparison to the rest of the field.

2004-05-25 7:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
What a great race! IIRC, your first tri was in Athens. Me, too. Sniff, to think I knew you before you were a superstah! Congrats.
2004-05-26 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Photos Uploaded
In case you are interested, I filched a couple of photos from the web and posted 'em on my report...
2004-05-29 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Way to go!!! Your pictures are great...you look like a pro already!  What's next on the agenda?

Jen

2004-05-29 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Nice job. Great race report.

You are really impressive.

Evelyn
2004-05-29 9:45 PM

Quite an improvement I see-- from your last try. Good job. Sounds like you not only held steady, but imroved and had fun. What more is there?

2004-06-01 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
There is no doubt I am having fun at this. It is very cool to be able to do things that 1) you never knew you could and 2) most of the population would never dare.

Next for me is one more sprint tri next weekend. It is a half-mile swim, 13 mile bike, 3 mile run. Then, I have an Olympic length in July, and hopefully a Half-Ironman in September. Wahoo!
2004-06-01 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Except for the horrible rudeness of your chip, what a great race! I can only hope for such a positive experience!! You did great and havea great attitude too - espcially considering your lousy luck with the chip. I will say it seems the race director handled your situation very well and very fairly. Congratulations!!
2004-06-01 4:00 PM

User image

Olive Branch
Glad to see you were happier with your swim experience this time. That is one quick run time too!

Keep up the great race reporting.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 4 States Triathlon Rss Feed