planet ultra
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 14h 35m
Overall Rank = 0/550
Age Group = n/a
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

friday night drove to solvangg w/c is roughly 300 miles south of san francisco. Very scenic drive stopped pismo beach. Very nice.Got poker chip and race # at royal copenhagen inn in solvang. solvang is a town with Danish motif and building with windmill. looked for a hotel but room rates were expensive. Went to nearby town near lompoc and found acheaper hotel.Got some breakfast supplies from albertsons and ate in alocal reataurant. Went to bed at 10:00 pm
Event warmup:

Woke up at 3:00 am. Ate 4 eggo waffles with maple syrup and drank 2 starbucks doubleshot.went to the royal copenhagen inn to start. didnt reall do any pre-race exercise as I want to save any ounce of energy for the ride. this is my first double and although I've ridden about 180 miles in a week as my longet week ride, I've never really ridden more than 120 for a day. You have an option to start as early as 4;30 for the ride but if you want your time to be recorded you have to start later .i think 6 or 7. I opted to ride at5:00 am.
Bike
  • 14h 35m
  • 194 miles
  • 13.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I'am officially an ultracyclist(he-he) Anyway i know now that a marathon is harder than a flat double. As i recovered enough to write this race report. During my previous marathons i would still be resting and sore.I have the confidence now to ride the 112 mile ride of a full distance triathlon and to run a marathon after that.My official long ride is 194 but in all honesty (not to sound arrogant) I could probably gone 20 flat miles more
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention to the race rule re: safety. do alonger one day ride and ride more hills
Post race
Warm down:

i didnt do any warm down but went as fast as I could to get a burrito because i was so hungry. the next day i feasted on danish pancakes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

longer rides and longer mileages

Event comments:

Planet ultra has a good reputaton for running ultras overall it was good

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Biking
14:35:00 | 194 miles | 13.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/550
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 0-38 I was wearing one underliner, one cycling jacket and one rain jacket. wore booties on my cleats and a balaclava. One cyclist said I look intimidating.i was laughing but i felt cold so i had to wear it, Indeed maybe it was too much because i was the only one i saw wearing one. I also had a headlight on and some ankle reflectors, I missed some mandatory lighting equipment as you guys will see with this report(planet ultra is very strict with this, I dont blame them). my objective with this double is; training for the bike portion of the iron distance vineman figure out how long i can ride find out w/c is harder a double flat century or a marathon(i've done several) It was pitch dark when i started you just go and there are several checkpoints wherein you must check-in your number to the officials. At the 100 mile point you must give the poker chip that was given as proof you passed that point.Anyway, I start real slow about 12 or 13 mph for about 15-20 miles. actually missed a turn hence added about 4 miles to the course. The course passes through country roads and you see hill in the background when the sun comes up. the forecast says 70 percent rain and it was accurate. At mile 25 there were some pacelines of stronger riders going by,I was inching to draft but they were going too fast and didnt want to go to fast at the start.The skies were starting to darken from mile 30-38 so i said to myself i better prepare for rain. 38-81 I reached the checkpoint at about 8am got something to eat and the unspeakable happen. i was holding my gloves while going to the portolet and i drop my glove in the you know what. oh well a lil water will cure it.I got something to eat and went my way.from this point it the course just goes thru some fields and industrial complexes.It also started to rain , real hard from mile 50 to 80. i was still going on a good pace and was not tired at all. my last long ride was last tuesday the week before and basically did not ride on my bike for a week except for a 30-min trainer ride so the taper was working(I was swimmimg though for about 3 or four days going into the taper). I reached mile 83 at about 11:15 am by this time it was really pouring and there were strong gusts of wind. My nutrition basically consists of sips of gatorade water mix every 15 minutes, gu espresso gel every hour and whatever is on the aid station(p&b sandwich and rice krispies). i did eat one king size snickers bar at 12pm. 83-114 we slogged on thru the rain and wind the course was rolling hills and i was still on my 15mph pace.During the ride i was being passed nor passing people too much. I do notice that at hill i was passing cyclists most of the time. I'm a lighter rider and have a compact crank i dont know if that has anything to do with.I also was waiting for other cyclist during the ride just in case i"m in the right direction(didnt want to keep reading the course sheet in my knapsack. at mile 90 the rain stopped at last, this part of the ride goes thru city streets in Morro bay. I reached morro bay at about 12:15 pm and turned in my poker chip. rested for about 15 minutes called the gf and then when my way.After this , the ride goes through some towns i didnt bother to look i just kept on riding I was surprised that i was still feeling good and strong since i was close to my 120 mile longet ride and during those training rides i was almost sore already.I reached mile 114 at about 1:30 pm , i was still continuing on my regular nutrition and rested here for about 30 minutes. 114-173 basically the course goes on through towns until mile 143. at this point i rested at checkpoint 4 about 45 minutes. This is where i get to feel the fatigue from overextending. They had subway sandwiches and some diet cokes so that help out. i also felt my back was getting sore. i was talking to another cyclist who has done this ride before re: the hill at mile 173 how was compared to other hills in the bay area. i was referring to old la-honda for comparison(3.5 mile about 1100 elevation with some 11-12 % grade) he said it was too dark when he did it the last time but any hill after 173 miles and a 3 mile at that would be challenging.at mile 173 was the last checkpoint and i had some soup and fattened up for the hill. 173-194 I t was almost 5:45 when i started at mile 173 i donned my headlights and put on my rain jacket coz it was getting cold.It was real dark during the initial ride of the hill and i was by myself. The hill was challenging not because it was steep but rather after riding almost 173 miles it was long. I passed a few cyclist and one was walking up the hill. I couldnt figure my pace because my light wasnt bright enough but i guess maybe 6mph, I had to stand a couple of times.At the summit there were officials and they said be carefule there's five turns and some of them hairpins. This is part of the ride wherein i wished i brought my cygolite(i didnt because of the weight). after i finished the descent the ride goes to lompoc at about 182 to 189 there was an incredibly strong tailwind basically free speed i didnt pedal here and basically did an aero tuck. Yooohooo.i was feeling strong so i pedaled strong from mile 189 to 194 in about 19mph. I checked in at the hotel and this is where i learned that the officials are strict about you're lighting system . I should have had a light attached to my handlebar. he didnt say anything about it but i think he will DQ me so i will look at results. Anyway i finished and i was satisfied at that. The official finishing result is importatnt if you want to be recognized as a california triple crown winner( 3 double century in one year.). i didnt have time this year to train for the other 2 so this is good for now.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %none
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-03-26 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
Subject: solvang double century

2006-03-27 11:52 AM
in reply to: #379836

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: solvang double century
Wow...I'm gonna guess if you can spend 14 hours in the sadlle you'll beeze through your IM. Congrats!
2006-03-27 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
thanks, jim
2006-03-27 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
yeheh , found out i wasnt disqualified so i can use this for cal triple crown credit. Now if i can
only squeeze it between full distance training(dreaming>>>>
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » solvang double century Rss Feed