Madison County Humane Society
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 27s
Overall Rank = 23/27
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:30 and after coffee and a light snack (banana bread and butter), drove the 50 minutes to the park with Lisa and we were a little early. Amazed about the course - all uphill for 2.5, then back.

We didn't want to stand 'round in the cold, so we ran into Huntsville for a bathroom and coffee break. Came back in time to pick up registration number and goodie bags and return them to the Jeep where Sparky sat patiently.
Event warmup:

We sort of walked around and jogged a few hundred yards up, trying to decide what clothes to keep and how hot we'd be. Got back to the line a few seconds before it started. Really didn't stand around waiting for the start - it just started, and started sort of fast.
Run
  • 48m 27s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was pretty quick for me at 9:04. Second mile was much slower at 19:35 (10:31). I remember thinking it was the hardest 2 miles I'd ever run! Third, after turn-around, was probably at like 29:30 or so, and I thought I could then beat 10 minute mile given it was all downhill after 2.5 mile. Some of the downhill was pounding and I got passed a few times then. Still, between 3 and 4 I felt pretty good, and kept from speeding up too early. I couldn't tell my pace much the last mile and tried to go faster and only as I approached the gate did I feel like I was strong and could go on. Time total is a guess. I know it was under 50 minutes, and thought under 49 (as did Lisa). In fact, I thought it was like 4819, but I could be mistaken.
What would you do differently?:

Work more hills if I want to run in Arkansas! Great first experience.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and walking with Lisa, then nanas, and such - good "snackies." Lisa had a great run too!

Awards were fun, and the other people around were just the greatest. Not that many people, and lots were running the half marathon the next day (Hogeye?). I was told I won the age group but thought I must have been third - I don't remember beating the other two, but I dunno. Still, I got a ribbon as did Lisa for age groupers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills - terrible hills. Maybe I tapered a bit too much the week before (didn't run but on Wednesday).

Event comments:

Good mental attitude - wanted to have fun, and did.

In the future, remember that the people I am running with are kind, just like these wonderful Arkansans were.

What a beautiful place, wonderful people, and extremely tough darned course. Rugged folks.

Last updated: 2006-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:27 | 05 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 23/27
Performance: Good
HR was high throughout - 160's-170's - very steep and steady uphill, and I saw 179 near the top. After turnaround it wasn't a great deal better until near the end when it was back in mid-160's. Then again, maybe that is just racing, which of course is new to me - the only other race I have run was 20 years ago, a 10K. Time is estimated. It was under 49 minutes, I thought. Will check later.
Course: Uphill, steadily, and steeply at the top, for 2 1/2 miles, then turnaround, and down, down, down. Total elevation increase of maybe 350 feet over 2.5 miles. More steep near the turn-around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-26 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: Paws & Claws 5 mile run

2006-03-27 5:06 AM
in reply to: #379952

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Paws & Claws 5 mile run

Good job on your race!!!!!!  I've seen some of those Arkansas hills.  oooooweeeeee. 

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!!!!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Paws & Claws 5 mile run Rss Feed