Oxnard, California
United States
USATri
Total Time = 1h 05m 25s
Overall Rank = 171/686
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 10/44
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon, so I don't have much of a routine yet. Picked up my registration packet, racked my bike, set up my transition area, and wandered around the expo area a little.
Event warmup:

Went for a 15 minute jog and stretched. Didn't get a bike or swim warm-up in.
Swim
  • 05m 21s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This was supposed to be a 1/4 mile swim, but the swim leg was cancelled due to strong currents. After only 4 of 35 competitors in the first two waves were able to make the buoy, the race directors decided to make the event a duathlon and had athletes do a 400 yard "water run" in thigh-to-waist deep surf. See http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... for more details.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Not especially speedy, but I did put my socks and cycling shoes on before running out of T1. I was just happy that I came out of T1 with everything that I was expecting to have with me (remembered to take my swim cap off, didn't put my helmet on backwards, left shoe ended up on left foot, right shoe ended up on right foot, etc.).
What would you do differently?:

More practice with transitions...still working my way up to shoes on the pedals.
Bike
  • 31m 44s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 21.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike leg. I rode the course earlier in the week, so I already had a feel for what it would be like on race day. The roads weren't all closed to traffic, but the police did a pretty nice job of controlling the traffic at intersections and limiting the flow on the roads.

I haven't done a lot of speed work on my bike yet, but I was pretty happy with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

I was pretty happy with T2.

More practice.
Run
  • 24m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy with my run, given where I am at in my training (running is my weakest event). I actually felt pretty good coming off the bike -- better than my two brick sessions beforehand.

Run more (I am still developing a base) and run faster (I really haven't done much running speedwork yet).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit and did some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training...I'm still redeveloping my aerobic base after taking several years off from sports (and most physical activity in general, other than some periodic short runs), I don't have a running background, and I haven't done much strength or speed training yet. I felt like I performed to my current abilities.

Event comments:

I don't have much to compare it to, since this was my first race, but I had a great time.

Last updated: 2006-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:21 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 0/686
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:44 | 11.5 miles | 21.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/44
Overall: 97/686
Performance:
Avg HR 179
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat 11.5 mile loop that included an out-and-back detour of about 1 mile.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:54 | 03 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/44
Overall: 321/686
Performance: Average
Avg HR 180
Course: Flat out-and-back along residential street and beachfront jog/bike path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-05 8:40 PM

New user
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Stawberry Fields Triathlon

2006-04-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: #389440

User image

Subject: RE: Stawberry Fields Triathlon

damn... "pretty happy" with an almost 22 mph bike split?

Very nice for your first tri, too bad you couldn't have gotten the swim in for the first one, but probably better all around

Man, as long as you can swim, if these are your times while still developing aerobic base and speed, you are going to slay those clydes at future tris

2006-04-06 1:40 PM
in reply to: #389977

New user
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks...I was pretty psyched about the whole race since it was my first one. I was especially happy with my bike split, so "pretty happy" may have been an understatement. I have been training since October, but suffered setbacks on my running and bike training due to an achilles tendon injury around New Years. Thus, not many high intensity or hill rides, and very little running of any sort during January and February.

I'm a fairly strong swimmer -- at least in the pool. I had only done one ocean swim before this race though, so I was a little nervous about the current and surf. I was disappointed when they cancelled the swim, since it is a stronger event for me than the run, but I agreed with the RD's decision given the conditions. You were there, so you saw it first hand.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), I will likely be leaving the clydesdale division and joining the AGers (30-34) soon. When I started training, I was around 220, but I am now down to 205-210. As my long runs and long bikes pick back up, I anticipate that I'll probably end up in the 195-200 range.
2006-04-06 2:08 PM

User image

Good riddance.. bye bye... leave the Clydes for us fat guys   LOL....  Did you see the guy who won Clydes?  The irony is that he is not a good swimmer, so this was great for him! (in case you didn't....... http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=10783&BIB=874&PWD=

Looking forward to more reports.  What other races are planned?

Edited by ChrisM 2006-04-06 2:10 PM
2006-04-06 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Nice race Matt! Nice bike spliat and congratulations on finishing your first race.

The winner looks like he is 200 lbs of muscle maybe they should institute a minimum body fat requirement for the clyde division.

Mike
2006-04-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: #390100

New user
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I saw him before the race (although I didn't know he was in the Clydes division). I definitely didn't see him on the course since he was in front of me the whole time!

I am sensitive to the debate about who should or shouldn't race in the Clydes division (and I don't have a good answer). Ultimately, there will always be athletes who are just over or just under the cut-off, no matter where or how the line is drawn. I remember that when I first decided that I wanted to do a triathlon, I thought it was pretty cool that there was a clydesdale division, so I wanted to get at least one race as a Clyde while I was eligible so I could wear the "C" bodymarking on my leg with pride!

I haven't signed up for any more races (YET), but I would like to do a couple more sprints over the summer and am shooting for an olympic at the LA Triathlon in September.

2006-04-06 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
I understand the difficulty in determining who should or should not be a clyde. To me it doesn't really matter, if having a clyde division (no matter how it is defined) gets another person interested in doing triathlons then it has served its purpose. Personally, I race against myself. Yeah you are always racing the people around you as well, but the only person I have any control over is me and that is who I'm trying to beat.

The LA triathlon is a great event and was my first tri, 1.5 years ago. There is something special about riding the streets that are normally so packed that you can hardly drive on them. I highly recommend the event.

Congrats and good luck in all of your future races.

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stawberry Fields Triathlon Rss Feed