General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
USAT
41F / 5C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 1s
Overall Rank = 25/253
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/?
Pre-race routine:

The main reason I signed up for this race is because it was at my college which I haven't really been back to since I graduated like 5 years ago. I figured it was time to go back and visit Miami and see some old friends. My pre-race routine involved going out drinking on Friday night and somehow waking up before the alarm clock, grabbing my bike and riding over to the Rec to set up transition.
Event warmup:

Warmup is laughable because it was FREEZING out. I was completely under dressed and unprepared for this race. No hat or gloves, tri shorts and a long sleeve underarmor shirt are all I had. It was COLD COLD COLD. I swam like 100m before the race for the sole purpose that I wanted to see if my tri shorts would fall off when I flipped my turns! I've never worn them in a pool and always with a wetsuit on over them, so I wanted to make sure the crowd in the balcony wouldn't get a surprise view when I push off the walls.
Swim
  • 07m 10s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was about 30-40 seconds slower than what I would have liked. I had trouble passing because the lanes were so clogged up with other swimmers who went before me but were slower. I passed quite a few people in the swim and nobody passed me.
What would you do differently?:

I would start sooner. I underestimated my start time which was what they used to seed us. When I saw a guy dog paddling in the "under 6 minute" group I knew I'd be in trouble.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't have any split data for this, I think they just factored it into my swim or bike time. It was FREEEZING. Coming out of the pool and getting hit by the icy blast was just horrible. I stopped to pull on my long sleeve shirt and then rode off. Way too slow in transition but when it's almost in the below 40 degree range, what do you want?

Bring a hat, gloves, and long pants.
Bike
  • 43m 45s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought my fingers were going to freeze to the shifters on my bike. By the time I finished this ride I couldn't feel my hands, feet, legs or head. Never again will I do an early season race without cold weather gear in transition. My kingdom for a hat and some gloves at this part of the event! I just couldn't get my groove and was miserable. To give you an idea, my average bike speed last august in the Chicago triathlon which was twice as far was almost 23MPH, this time I was about 17MPH.

Warmer gear.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no time split recorded. I was so numb in my fingers and feet that I could barely undo the velcro from my shoes and pull them out while on the bike. I jumped off and ran to the rack ok but I was so numb in the fingers I couldn't unclip my damn helmet for the first few tried, I thought I'd have to run with it on! When I finally managed to slip my shoes on (thank god for Yankz) and started running I felt like I had 2 stumps below the knee. Have I mentioned that it was cold out?!

See what I put in this block for the above sections; the same applies here!
Run
  • 24m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was horrible. I just couldn't find my legs until the turn around. By the time I got my feet and turned it on it was too late to record a great time. At this point the sun was starting to come out though and the campus looked as beautiful as ever.
Post race
Warm down:

Find shower. Turn to "hot." Stand there for an hour!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I knew from the second I walked my bike out of the hotel that morning that I'd be in trouble. I have nobody to blame but myself for lack of preparation. I really was hoping for a PR at this race but regardless I had a great time. It was fun being back at campus and the wife and I had a great time seeing some old friends.

Event comments:

HFP, as always, ran an outstanding race! The volunteers were awesome and I thanked all the ones I rode past on the bike course because these college kids would have much rather been in bed early on a saturday but they stood out on these farm roads freezing to death so we could go out and play. I will do this again next year, only dressed warmer!

Last updated: 2006-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:10 | 437 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 45/253
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Tri shorts
Course: 400 M with each lap 50 M. You swim through the pool in a serpentine manner, down one lane and back the next. Pretty neat actually.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:45 | 12.43 miles | 17.05 mile/hr
Overall: 32/253
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back through the rolling hills and fields around Miami. It had to be in the 30's on this part of the event with the wind gusting. Winds had to be in the 20 MPH range and they ripped through the corn fields and froze me to the bone. There were 2 or 3 huge hills, makes me happy for all the seated climb drills I'd been doing on the trainer all winter. The road was wet in some places from the thunderstorms the day before.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:24:07 | 03.11 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 88/253
Performance: Below average
Course: Simple out and back through south quad area. It was fun running past my old dorm and dining hall. I see the "keeping cool" section below this and have to laugh. I was doing everything in my power to keep warm!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-10 9:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2006-04-10 3:09 PM
in reply to: #392391

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

Congratulations on your race!!!!!  I have got to give you credit for participating in this race on Saturday.  I am in northern Ohio and it was horribly cold here with the wind blowing like it was.  I did a biathlon on Sunday and was worried about the temp.  Fortunately we had no wind on Sunday, just the cold temps.

Gosh, just reading your report makes my cold.  Brrrrrrrrr!  You did a great job!

Diane

2006-04-10 3:58 PM

User image

Elite

Two BTers there... Now I'll never forgive myself for not making it.

bts 

2006-04-12 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Great race! I was worried about being cold, so I took the time to change, but my feet were numb by the time I got back, I don't know how you did it in shorts, with no hat or gloves. BRRRRR!!!! I agree, it was well organized. Alot of volunteers! See you next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed