General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #1 - CycleTime Trial

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
American Cycling Association
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat 4 Women
Age Group Rank = 9/29
Pre-race routine:

I made the mistake of not getting my gear together before work and having to do everything when I got home. Ate a bowl of Cheerios, and half a PB&J sandwich. I ended up leaving the house later than I should have. I keep forgetting (now that I've moved) how much farther away I am from Cherry Creek Reservoir and that I need to build in extra time for driving, especially since I'm driving there in the middle of rush hour. The closer I get to the rez, the worse the traffic is. Totally backed up on I-25, so I got off and took a back way through the tech center. Then I see an accident involving a bus on the road leading to the rez, so I take another back way. I was totally freaking out. Cursing like a truck driver while at the same time praying that I'd make it to the park in time. Dichotomous, I know. I finally get to the park and make it to the fee booth, and there's some lady in front of me asking the park ranger all about fees, season passes, etc. Tick tock tick tock. I almost lost it. I finally get into the park, find a place to park, and get my bike set up on the trainer. I had about 35 minutes until my start time. This is not enough time for me - I usually warm up about 45, plus I need time to air my tires, stop at the ladies room, get my bike in the right gear, clear out my computer, etc. There's lots to think about right before a race, and with that little warmup time, I didn't feel ready. Physically or mentally!
Event warmup:

Warmed up on the trainer while talking to Matt (Blackbud) and Shannon (swgtri). I'm glad they found me because they both helped calm me down a little bit. Even with the short warm-up, I didn't feel too bad. The legs felt heavy, but I also know what adrenaline does in a race situation and I knew the heaviness wouldn't be there on the start line.
Bike
  • 29m 10s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good and relaxed on the course. The hill always kills me, and today was no exception. I was hoping for a little bit more speed on the downhill before the turnaround, but there was a pretty good sidewind that was blowing me around. I was surprised at how long it took for all the guys who started behind me to pass me. Most of them didn't pass me until after the turnaround. There always seems to be a headwind on the finishing stretch, and again, today was no exception. Really tried to kick it in with 1K to go. Painful. After the finish, I rode back to my car for a 20 minute brick run.
What would you do differently?:

I normally make the mistake of going out too fast, so I held it back a little bit before the hill. Now, I think I held back too much and could probably have gone harder. I am disappointed in my time because I thought I would do better. That said, I did tie my PR from last year (that PR was set on a day with absolutely NO wind) and it's only the first race.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down since I had to throw my bike on my roof rack and go run. Mark (markdills38) ran with me, which was nice. After the run, talked with Adam(Gearwhore) and Ryan (himself).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate warm-up, too much stress from the traffic debacles I kept running into. Held back a little too much on the front part of the course.

Last updated: 2006-04-13 12:00 AM
Biking
00:29:10 | 10.5 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on the roads surrounding Cherry Creek Reservoir
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-13 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #1

2006-04-13 12:11 PM
in reply to: #395760

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #1
Wait. You mean I was on time and you were late (a relative term here, I acknowledge)? What the hell? Just kidding. You still did well and I'm sure you'll do better with your normal routine.
2006-04-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: #395760

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #1

so I take another back way. I was totally freaking out. Cursing like a truck driver while at the same time praying that I'd make it to the park in time. Dichotomous, I know. I finally get to the park and make it to the fee booth, and there's some lady in front of me asking the park ranger all about fees, season passes, etc. Tick tock tick tock. I almost lost it.

You need to channel all this furious energy and unleash it at the starting line!!

I was surprised at how long it took for all the guys who started behind me to pass me. 

Maybe you were just going WAY fast in your HOT outfit and you intimidated the competition behind you?! 

You need to learn to LET IT RIP.   Sorry!   I can't help myself.   I think it's awesome omen that you PR'd for YOUR FIRST TT.   Imagine how fast you would have went if you PUNCHED the accelerator from the start?!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #1 Rss Feed