General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Family Fitness Weekend Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Publix Family Fitness Weekend Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Augustine, Florida
United States
Exclusive Sports Marketing Inc
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had a short nights (3.5 hrs) sleep but I expected that. I had my gear ready to go so I put in my contacts and got dressed. I and ate two pieces of peanut butter toast and a banana. I put my bike and gear into the car and slithered out of the house without waking anybody up. [My wife had said she would come along but I didn't bother waking her up because she hadn't inquired about a wakeup time before we went to bed so I knew she really didn't want to come along.]

I stopped at a mini-mart and got a cup of coffee. (the brown elixir of life!) It was 4:14am by now and I was on the road. The race was an hour away and registration starts at 5:30am so everything was going as planned. As I was driving down the interstate I realized that I was having trouble focusing on the road signs. I put in some more eyedrops hoping it was just my tired eyes and contacts not getting along very well. I was due to change out my contacts a while back but decided against it just in case something happened on the swim and I lost one or both. I figured I could always pull them out and toss them and finish the race with the world fuzzy.

I arrived a little early and didn't have any troubles finding a place to start. I got out of my car and wandered around awhile checking out the race area. I found the transition area and the registration table and the porta-potties. (all the important places) The coffee was kicking in so I took advantage of said porta-potties, several times.

The registration table opened so I took care of that piece of business. I picked up my pretty green first timers swim cap and my numbers and went to my car to get my bike. I wandered through the transition area until I figured out where I should put my bike. I got lucky and found a spot at the end of a rack and started to set up in the dark. I still had a good 45 minutes until the race was supposed to start so I tried to visualize myself going through the motions of the transitions. I was really paranoid about getting DQ'd for something stupid like forgettin to put on my helmet so I thought this would help ease my anxiety.

I visited the porta-potties again and headed down to the beach for the start. I watched the waves roll in and the seagulls flying around as the sun came up. It was very beautiful! As I approached the starting area my bowels started telling me that it wanted to visit the john again. This was the wrong time for that, it was too late to go back and there was NOWHERE to go. CRAP! (so to speak) The feeling finally passed and I guess it was just nerves.

We all stood around waiting until they finally started with the National Anthem then it was race on. First wave, second wave, third wave, fourth wave, and finally 16 minutes into the race and I am off.
Event warmup:

a lot of walking around. Stretching. Porta-potty visiting.
Swim
  • 28m 8s
  • 962 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first TRI and my first attempt at Ocean swimming and it showed. I was in the "first timers" wave so we started 16 minutes after the elites. I started on the far right to avoid the crowds. I didn't wear a wet suit so there was a pretty good shock factor for me getting in. The waves were tough for me to get through. I finally got past the waves and got to the turn buoy but could not swim freestyle to save my life. My heart rate was probably maxed and I was having difficulty moving in a forward direction. This was not how I wanted to start my first TRI. So at this point I have nearly the whole swim in front of me and my swim plan was not going as planned. Time for a new plan. I breast stroked and side stroked until I felt my heart slowing to a more reasonable rate (something under 300). As I became more comfortable in the water, I looked around a bit and realized that I wasn't alone. I was being shadowed by the life guards. I looked over and said hello and she asked me how I was doing. I told her that I was doing fine except that it seems that I don't know how to swim. She laughed and asked if I wanted to hang on for awhile. "Nah" I said, I'll just keep plodding along. This went on for what seemed like three or four days. I freestyled every once in awhile and that was great because it seemed like I was moving then. There were some other slow pokes (flounderers) around me. I talked to one guy for awhile then decided to freestyle some more. Lo and behold I finally got to the last buoy and turned into the beach. I was glad to find the bottom and fought my way out of the water. I trotted up the beach to the transition area very happy that I was done with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Use a wet suit. Practice swimming in the ocean.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Running through the soft sand and up the hill and across the boardwalk to the transition area was ok. The asphalt in transition was very rough on my feet. That part sucked. I stopped at the shower to rinse real quick to get some of the salt off. The transition area was pretty much deserted by the time I got there so traffic wasn't a problem. I tossed my cap and goggles in my bag and put on my helmet. I rinsed off my feet and sat down to put on my socks and bike shoes. Well I tried to put on my socks. I put one on upside-down so I had to fix that. I pulled on my shoes and put on my sunglasses and off I trotted to the exit. Once I was past the gate I hopped on the gray ghost and off we went.

Put my socks on right the first time. Otherwise, visualizing my transitions really helped.
Bike
  • 37m 31s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so happy to be out of the water that I felt like I was flying. I got up to speed right away. I kept my cadence in the high 90's as long as it felt good. My biking goal was to spin efficently and maintain 20ish mph when I could. Since I was in the last wave there were lots of people to pass. I kept up a nice comfortable pace in the aerobars. I took a lot of drinks from my water bottle (gatorade) until I felt like I had to pee then I backed off. I ate a GU at some point. I was cruising right along when I saw the guy I had just passed turn around. I asked the guy standing in the middle of the street if this was the turnaround and he said "Yep". Opps! nearly missed it! I turned around and kept on trucking. At some point on the return trip a very tall tri-chick on a Trident(?)(race number 378) bike went past me. She was the first person to go by me since I got on the bike. I kept sight of her but didn't try to catch up. (I'm not sure that I could have) I was cruising along happily (still ecstatic about being out of the ocean) when I temporarily lost my situational awareness (SA). I regained my SA as I was dangerously close to the edge of the road. (microseconds from the grass) I managed to recover and admonished myself for daydreaming. It wasn't much longer and I was coming up on the turn into the transition area.

Keep my head out of my a$$ the whole time instead of just part of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

T2 went well. Again transition was nearly vacant so that was nice. No troubles getting my bike racked and shoes switched. I grabbed a bottle of water and was ready to go. I wasn't sure which way to go when to start the run. I saw the big sign "RUN START" and thought that might be a clue so I headed that direction. This is when I found out that the run was on the beach. I didn't remember that from the race info online. Oh well.

Put my hat on and pay attention to where the run is.
Run
  • 23m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

As I ran down the boardwalk towards the beach I realized that I forgot to put on my hat. Oh well I wasn't going back for it. I took a few swigs of water and slogged through the soft sand to get to the hard packed beach by the water. I decided it was time to do a little crotch soreness avoidance so I squeezed half my water into the front of my tri-shorts. I was treated to a stinging sensation. I rinsed my backside the same way as I made my way down the beach. I ate another GU somewhere along the way and took advantage of the water station both ways. My run speed didn't seem very fast but I am not sure what my actual pace was yet. I felt good though and tried to push it a little. One guy passed me in the run otherwise I was passing people throughout the run. I noticed a pair of long slender well tanned legs up ahead and started to wonder if that was the tri-chick that passed me on the bike. Game on. I had to know. It was the return trip on the run so it was time to use up whatever was left anyway so I made an effort to close on her. It took awhile but I caught up and sure enough it was her. Now I was committed to going faster because I didn't want to pass someone and then have them chase me down. I kept up my pace and arrived at the beach exit. More soft sand and a hill and a quick turn and that was it. All done.

I think I could have run faster but I didn't want to push it too hard on my first TRI.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt good after the race. I walked around and ate and drank and generally enjoyed the rest of the morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Clearly the swim was a killer for me. I should have done some ocean swimming in training for this race but the water temp and my schedule precluded that. I know that I could easily cut my swim time in half if I prepare properly for an ocean swim.

Event comments:

Since this was my first TRI I don't have anything to compare it to except runs. Everybody was really helpful. The volunteers did a great job and there was plenty of food and drink afterwards. (a beer would have been nice but I will take care of that at home)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:08 | 962 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: The swim started south of the transition area with bouys on the left
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:31 | 13 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on A1A. Two lanes with decent shoulder type bike paths. Traffic wasn't stopped but there was a lot of cops on motorcycles keeping them civil.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:00.7 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Down and back on the beach. Short run through soft sand to get to the hard packed sand.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-04-23 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: Publix Family Fitness Weekend Sprint

Here is my race report.  I had a great time!

Mike

Edited by Mike 45 2006-04-23 10:31 AM

2006-04-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: #404053

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Publix Family Fitness Weekend Sprint

Nice job Mike. You had excellent times! Catching up with the hot legs has GOT to be good motivation...

Congratulations!

2006-04-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: #404070

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Congratulations, Mike on your very first Tri!   You did great -- even if the swim did kill ya -- You're a brave man to not wet-suit it in 74 degree water.  I'd have jumped out right then and there!   God job!   Take the hot tub I swam in and the ice bath you swam in and we would have had great water temps -- although you would have still had to deal with the waves -- My I just tangled with lane lines!

Thanks for your comments.  Would be nice if we were a little closer geographically.  We're about the same age, and it appears about the same speed -- would be great to do a workout or two!

Keep it up -- When's you next race?

2006-04-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #404127

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
UTTriman - 2006-04-23 2:43 PM

Congratulations, Mike on your very first Tri!   You did great -- even if the swim did kill ya -- You're a brave man to not wet-suit it in 74 degree water.  I'd have jumped out right then and there!   God job!   Take the hot tub I swam in and the ice bath you swam in and we would have had great water temps -- although you would have still had to deal with the waves -- My I just tangled with lane lines!

Thanks for your comments.  Would be nice if we were a little closer geographically.  We're about the same age, and it appears about the same speed -- would be great to do a workout or two!

Keep it up -- When's you next race?

Thanks!

The water was cold but not unbearable.  Getting through the surf really messed up my head for awhile.

Yea Utah to Florida is a bit of a stretch for training parters.    That's why these forums are nice because you get a different points of view about training issues and a ton of other things to boot.

My next race is thel Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon on Sunday, August 27th 2006 at Camp Blanding here in north Florida.  It is a lake swim that will probably have water as warm as your pool swim.  I WILL swim in that lake prior to this TRI.

Mike

Edited by Mike 45 2006-04-23 3:05 PM
2006-04-23 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Super job!  Glad you had a great time ... triathlete!
2006-04-23 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good job, Mike..that first swim is always the toughest! Next one, especially in Kingsley Lake, you will be cruising.

If you haven't joined the Hammerheads yet, you should..the club puts the HOT race on. Cecil Cauley's the main guy, and last year a number of people in the club were able to get out there and train on the course with his assistance. I think my gov't stickers will get me on there, and I plan on training out there at least once before the race, so call me if you want to join in!

2006-04-23 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Congratulations on your first tri.
2006-04-24 6:58 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

The final results were finally posted so I have updated my times.

2006-04-24 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Congratulations Mike! No more green first timers cap! Thanks for sharing your race report with us. I thought about you on the weekend while out on my bike ride training for my first tri (end of June). Very nice photo of you with your family at the end.
2006-04-25 6:14 AM
in reply to: #404615

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support! 

Next up HOT (Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon)
August 27th at Camp Blanding Fl. 

2006-04-25 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Great job Mike!  Yay....you survived the swim....and sometimes that's all you can do.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Family Fitness Weekend Sprint Rss Feed