Commerce City Recreation Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 31s
Overall Rank = 37/235
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep very well the night before but I woke up feeling pretty fresh. I was a lot more nervous than I thought I would be. Jen and I got up at 4:00am and arrived right after Mark. I really thought we would beat him there. It was kinda nice, I was able to get a transition spot right on the end.
Event warmup:

I didn't get much of a warm up. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out where we were supposed to be. The whole pre-race wasn't very organized and I had forgotten to put a marker in my bag so we had to search for someone to body mark us.

While standing there waiting for my swim heat, I had a guy named John standing next to me who was apperantly a nervous talker cause he wouldn't shut the hell up. I was trying to do the whole 'visualization thing' and it's hard to do when someone is talking to you.
Swim
  • 04m 30s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty well. It was very short and I had to pass a guy. That slowed me down a bit. My breathing was sub-par and I couldn't get into a rythem.
What would you do differently?:

Relax and maintain a rythem, although this was basically a sprint so there wasn't much time to find my rythem.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I need to toughen up my feet so that I can run with the bike in bare feet. That was my limiter in T1. I also had trouble getting my feet into my shoes. It was still better than any other T1 that I've done.

Practice more.
Bike
  • 38m 20s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of T1 there were four of us that were leading our heat and we get to the first intersection and the traffic cop points to the left. Given the unorganized nature of the race I'm sure we all thought they had changed the coarse..... They didn't! I lost about 30-40 seconds on that little fiasco. I managed to catch everyone in my heat and quite a few of the first two heats. I really felt fast on the coarse except for the numerous turns. On the last loop I finally got comfortable enough to stay off the brakes in the corners, except for one. There was one blind intersection that had nobody stopping traffic. It's amazing that someone didn't get hit.

Do my own thing and not follow some other dumb @$$! I knew the coarse, I was just an idiot and followed someone else. That won't happen in Boulder!
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I miss judged the distance it would take to get my feet out of my shoes and had to unclip and run in my shoes. I was probably just as fast doing it this way due to the rough asphalt and my soft feet. I'm still fairly happy with it.

Practice more!
Run
  • 23m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very fast pace for me and I'm sure it will get better, but I still feel pretty inadiquate when I got dropped by a women. It's an ego thing. I was able to catch a couple of guys in front of me and keep the other close so I can't complain too much. I just need to run faster!

My calves tried to cramp up a bit and I had to run through it. I need to do more hard bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

BEER!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time. It's early and I will get faster, but I'm frequently reminded that this was only my third race.....ever!

I need to get faster on the run!

Event comments:

I'm glad it was a C race considering the timing issues were dissappointing. I was still a great time and I finally felt like a triathlete. My other races left me with a feeling of just finishing, this one made me feel fast. I guess it's all in those you're racing against.

Last updated: 2006-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:30 | 300 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 15/235
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca one-piece
Course: Pool swim, circle style, 6 laps, three per lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:20 | 13.5 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 36/235
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Three loops with 10 turns per loop. Tends to slow things down a bit.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:13 | 03 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 61/235
Performance: Good
Course: Boring run inside a big parking lot. It's difficult to chase someone down when you can see them a mile away. (literally)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-04-26 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: Spring Sprint Triathlon

2006-04-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: #407563

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Spring Sprint Triathlon

I think next time you should either visualize the guy shutting up or visualize yourself walking away to somewhere that's quiet! Still, for this early in the season and only your 3rd race ever, seems like you had a pretty solid day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed