General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Triathlon Series, Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Emerald Coast Triathlon Series, Race #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City, Florida
United States
Emerald Coast Events
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 1s
Overall Rank = 32/117
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00, ate a bagel with peanut butter. Got a shower, a cup of coffe, and dropped off the kids. Drank almost a litre of water by the time I got to the race site. I had already packed up my bag the night before, so all I had to do was put my bike on the rack.
Event warmup:

It was a 35 minute drive to the race. Raining like hell with a lot of lightning. The weather settled down by the time I got to the site so I found a rack and set up my transition area. About the time I got a gel down the bottom dropped out again. Rain so hard your couldn't see 500 ft., wind was blowing banners down and lightning that seemed like it was hitting the parking lot. The race was delayed an 1:15 and then the skies opened up and it ended up being a beautiful day. The only problem was all that water and coffee were wanting somewhere to go and I didn't feel like peeing in my wetsuit with 150 people huddled up under a bar overhang.
Swim
  • 13m 52s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

A little nervous since this was my first triathlon and the storm had kicked up the surf pretty good. 3-4 foot chop that was really hard to time my breathing. I just tried to remind myself that this is my first race, don't panic and swim at my own pace. I felt like I was just right in the middle of the pack untill the 1st buoy. Once I turned, I kind of found myself somewhat alone and thought I had gone off course. I was timing my peeks at the buoy pretty good though and was right on track. I guess the main pack had rounded off the course instead of swimming buoy to buoy. I could see people ahead of me and thought I was pretty mmuch near the back. Rounded the next buoy and was able to catch the waves fairly well heading back in to the beach. Got out of the water and my wetsuit pulled down during the run up the beach. It was a long run up the beach, through the pool area, and out to the parking lot. I had no idea what place I was in, but saw a good number of bikes still on the rack when I got to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was my 1st race and I thought I did damn well. I'll have to wait for the timing to see how my numbers look.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

All my gear was soaked, but so was I, so it really didn't matter. Socks actually went on pretty easy. I've still got to practice T1's some more. At least I didn't forget anything.

Practice, Practice, Practice
Bike
  • 41m 21s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Got clipped in and eased up my speed. The out section was into the wind so I just stayed low and tried to keep the cadence up and speed pretty constant. I settled in just over 20mph and just thought, oh well I guess my legs just aren't that good today. I couldn't understand why I was passing people at just over 20, but hey who am I to complain. I thought I still had a while to go before the turnaround and I saw 2 people go flying by the other direction. Then a decent sized pack and a few stragglers. I thought I must be farther back than I thought and about that time I see the turnaround point. Made a decent turn and realized why I was going so slow on the out section, the wind was kicking hard. I had one guy that was maintaining a steady 300-400 yards in front of me for 1/2 of the back and he made for a good rabbit. All of the sudden he just sat up on the hoods and slowed. As I went by I thanked him for holding out the carrot. I guess it pissed him off because he came sprinting past about a minute later all hell bent for leather. That lasted all of 30 seconds untill he sat completely up and looked completely blown. Went by a pack of 3 that had a nice paceline going behind a minvan, WHAT. Saw the turn into the parking lot and reached down to loosen my shoes and get ready run.

Nothing really, I thought I rode a good race and only got passed by Mr. Blowup.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Still can't do the flying dismount, but I got out of my pedals fairly quickly and ran to my rack. Shoes off, helmet off, shoes on. Grabbed my visor and belt and put them on as I was heading out of the transition area.

Learn how to get off my bike quicker and more fluidly.
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Well here is where I learned a lot. I started out way, way too conservative and got passed by a ton of people. I swear at least 2 people in my AG passed me before the turnaround, but the numbers for them don't add up. Maybe I was just misreading calf markings. Anyway I only decided to pick up my pace at the turnaround point and realized that I should have been running that hard the whole time. It was my first triathlon though and I just didn't know how my body was going to react.

Run harder on the 1st half
Post race
Warm down:

Post race I downed a bunch of Infinit and then proceeded to take in more than my share of draught beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my 1st so I really didn't know what to expect or how hard to push myself on the bike or run. I am a slow swimmer and I've accepted that, I just need to train harder on the bike and run.

Event comments:

Overall a great experiance. Just made me catch the bug a little more and realize that my base is good but I need to increase my intensity.

Last updated: 2005-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:52 | 600 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 34/117
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:21 | 15 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 17/117
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Fast. Dead flat with 4 wide turns and a turnaround.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:14 | 03.25 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 50/117
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-04-26 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Subject: Emerald Coast Triathlon Series, Race #1

2006-04-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #407768

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Emerald Coast Triathlon Series, Race #1
Nice times Jim! Sounds like you had a great race, especially with that weather. Congrats!
2006-04-27 1:52 PM
in reply to: #407768

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Emerald Coast Triathlon Series, Race #1
Congrats on a steller first tri. If your waves were anything like the ones at the flora bama, then that was a tough swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Triathlon Series, Race #1 Rss Feed