General Discussion Triathlon Talk » opinions on My First/My Next Tri Lake Lanier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-14 1:02 PM

Subject: opinions on My First/My Next Tri Lake Lanier

I am considering doing this Tri as my 2 Sprints this past year were pool swims and this would be a good start into OWS for me, I'd think, since it is along the shoreline - more mental than anything, but getting one OWS under my belt in an event like this sounds like a good place to start. I've heard mixed things about this Tri from the first few years it was run, has it improved, or should I just do it knowing it may not be as well organized as maybe other Tri's in the area??  Thoughts?  

Thanks!

2011-11-14 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3901457

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: opinions on My First/My Next Tri Lake Lanier
this was my first in 5/08 and I thought it was so great! looking back, i wish i had done the tri the parks instead. this is because of the chip timing that my first didnt have and the friendly community that tri the parks fosters.
2011-11-14 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
vettegirlhw - 2011-11-14 2:02 PM

I am considering doing this Tri as my 2 Sprints this past year were pool swims and this would be a good start into OWS for me, I'd think, since it is along the shoreline - more mental than anything, but getting one OWS under my belt in an event like this sounds like a good place to start. I've heard mixed things about this Tri from the first few years it was run, has it improved, or should I just do it knowing it may not be as well organized as maybe other Tri's in the area??  Thoughts?  

Thanks!

Ive done it 2 years in a row now. GREAT first timer race. The OWS swim along the shoreline makes it awesome for "newbies." The course on the bike is fantastic and the run is too.

The bike and the run are essentially the same if you choose to do the Lake Lanier race in October.

Some negatives about the race.

Pay for park entry-seems to be a question every year, this year we are supposed to be getting free entry to recoup the pay last year which was supposed to be free. The race volunteers are good-at their job-outside of their job theyre kinda lost. Minimal swag, I dont even think we had swim caps last year. The swim to transition is FAR-quarter mile easy! The course isn't USAT which means no officials (some people do cheat during this race-intentional or not im not sure). Post event awards takes FOREVER.

Positives: Simple straight forward race. Come get number, set up, and race, go home. Course marked well, officials blocking traffic well, and friendly people all around. 

I'm likely going for 3 years in a row

2011-11-14 2:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful as my main concern was about course markings and such.  That is nice to hear they are looking at waiving the fee to cross the bridge/enter the resort, though luckily not an issue for me as we have our boat next door at Holiday Marina and we get the perk of no fee to enter the islands, though I think it stinks that just to participate in an event there you still have to pay the fee.  Keep the feedback coming, this is helpful.  I am still likely to look at some of the other events on Lake Lanier further into the season as I want to do others as well, but this is one I was considering to start off the season and take the leap to OWS Tri's since the others I've done were pool swims.  Thanks!

Edited by vettegirlhw 2011-11-14 2:21 PM
2011-11-14 3:38 PM

New user

I did it last year as my first.  I had read the race reports and they seem to have been improving each year.

Parking - When I went through last year I told them I was there for the race and they gave me a free parking pass.  I didnt see many people with them.

Transition from Swim to Bike - rough but doable.  I decided to walk it bc I am rather clumsy and I was afraid I would slip.

Bike - Hillier than I expected but there were plenty of police officers at intersections.  Little or no other support out there.

Run - if it is hot like last year you are baking in the sun.

Coldfire has a very detailed race report.  As in I used his report to know exactly where to put my bike for transition. 

Sunday is much smaller

Swim ALOT of people walk it

TShirt - not the best

If the date/place work for you I would go for it.

2011-11-18 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3901791

Chicaskeeper - 2011-11-14 3:38 PM

I did it last year as my first.  I had read the race reports and they seem to have been improving each year.

Parking - When I went through last year I told them I was there for the race and they gave me a free parking pass.  I didnt see many people with them.

Transition from Swim to Bike - rough but doable.  I decided to walk it bc I am rather clumsy and I was afraid I would slip.

Bike - Hillier than I expected but there were plenty of police officers at intersections.  Little or no other support out there.

Run - if it is hot like last year you are baking in the sun.

Coldfire has a very detailed race report.  As in I used his report to know exactly where to put my bike for transition. 

Sunday is much smaller

Swim ALOT of people walk it

TShirt - not the best

If the date/place work for you I would go for it.

Are you able to direct me to his race report?  I tried a quick search but didn't find a detailed report.  I'd love some insight into the bike/transition info you mentioned since I understand the transition area is a free for all, not assigned.  Thanks!

2011-11-19 7:16 AM

New user

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=11437

That should be the link for race reports (sorry it is messy). 

2011-11-22 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I have three RR for this race 2008, 2009, 2010. I would assume that 2010 has the most detail, since my RR have gotten longer and longer each year. Click on the my race button, and there are two on the first page, and one on the second. FYI.

As stated above:
Swim is shoreline, quick and easy
Long run to T1, and includes one nasty hill
Bike is rollers, well marked, solid blocking of traffic, etc.
Fast T2
Run is rollers, fast course

You should not have any issues with the marking of the course, even if you plan on being at the very front.

IMO, this race has made little improvements every year which has made it better, and better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » opinions on My First/My Next Tri Lake Lanier Rss Feed