General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does treadmill training hurt your run fitness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-21 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3907599

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Does treadmill training hurt your run fitness?

Provided that it doesn't injure you, I'm not sure how a treadmill could possibly hurt run fitness?!  It's running.

And, it's got a couple of other benefits (not all may apply to you):

- You can set the elevation profile for the workout you want.

- You can set the intervals to be the speed you'd like

- MOST treadmills don't cool you like you would be outdoors. You will work harder without cooling than you would otherwise.

- The deck is softer than regular pavement.

Now, the drawbacks:

- There's data staring you in the face the entire time. Can inhibit running by 'feel'. This could be a + or -.

- The footfalls are 100% level. It's easy to get out of practice running without perfect footfalls.  

- It's not outside. It's easy to get out of practice running in the rain, wind, etc.

- It's boooring. I find outside I run faster, but only because I'm just not bored and mesmerized by the numbers.

But short of injury, I have NO idea how it could hurt fitness.

2011-11-21 7:54 PM

Master
Northern IL
I've been using thinner shoes on the treadmill to help with foot striking.  Off-sets the cushion effect and I can feel how my foot lands better. So far it seems to translate to my regular shoes  when I go back outside.
2011-11-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3907951

while I typically go with a 1% incline just because everyone says so, I don't think it really matters much.  I am coming off a calf injury and with the weather turning I have been running on a treadmill a lot and at no incline.  On the days I go outside I am always faster.  A treadmill provides NO wind resistance and I actually sweat buckets more than I do outside believe it or not.  
2011-11-21 8:01 PM

User image

Master

The big problem I had when I had to do the majority of a half marathon training on the treadmill was that when I finally was able to get on the road for some runs towards the end of the training, my joints & surrounding muscles needed to adjust to it. While my pace was on target, my legs were either hurting or fatigued pretty early in my run. 

Just my experience. The treadmill isn't as demanding on my old joints.

Edited by Blanda 2011-11-21 8:03 PM
2011-11-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3910865

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Blanda - 2011-11-21 7:01 PM

The big problem I had when I had to do the majority of a half marathon training on the treadmill was that when I finally was able to get on the road for some runs towards the end of the training, my joints & surrounding muscles needed to adjust to it. While my pace was on target, my legs were either hurting or fatigued pretty early in my run. 

Just my experience. The treadmill isn't as demanding on my old joints.

This is the same problem I have if I spend to much time running on a treadmill and do not throw in some road runs a few times a week.

2011-11-21 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

A lot of people find treadmill running easier so they can't run as fast or as far outdoors. But that's not because the treadmill decreased their fitness. It's because the amount of fitness that gets them to run 5 miles on a treadmill isn't enough to run 5 miles outside.

However, I find I run faster outside than I do on a treadmill. I have no idea why. I understand why theoretically the treadmill is supposed to be easier and in some ways (wear and tear on the body) it is easier but still my performance is better off it than on it.

2011-11-21 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I don't run on the tdmill often so I find it harder to run on that running outside unlike most people. I get bored after 1 or 2 minutes, and the quality of the tdmills at my gym is not very good so sometimes they skip at higher speeds and it's tough to get into a rhythm. I only use it when it's really cold outside and I have to run a track workout. I found that the tdmill hurts my calves less.
2011-11-21 10:53 PM
in reply to: #3910864

Master
Northern IL

saltman95 - 2011-11-21 8:00 PM while I typically go with a 1% incline just because everyone says so, I don't think it really matters much.  I am coming off a calf injury and with the weather turning I have been running on a treadmill a lot and at no incline.  On the days I go outside I am always faster.  A treadmill provides NO wind resistance and I actually sweat buckets more than I do outside believe it or not.  

I do that too, just to get the slight bit of resistance with near flat slope, so it's not that different from flatter roads. Then when I want to work on quicker turnover without increasing effort significantly I can just go flatter.

The treadmill has also been a big help in coming back from the occasional calf injury.  I'll keep the pace rather slow and actually increase the slope over the course of several runs.  This has helped to work the calf more without needing to move as quickly. That way it's easier to control the movement.

And yes, without a fan it is certainly easy to sweat quite a bit on one. I've been clear soaked through on some faster paced efforts. Hopefully it helps with heat training.

2011-11-22 8:37 AM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas

Most of the posts missed the point of the OP question. The reason you had a hard time running the same mileage outside versus on the treadmill comes down to one thing, pacing. On the treadmill you ran at a nice even pace the whole time. Outside you are more than likely running too fast. If you ran outside at the same pace you ran on the treadmill, for the same amount of time the distance would be similar. So it's not the treadmill, it is your pacing you need to work on.

Oh. I run 100% of the time on the treadmill at 0% incline. On race day I run the exact same pace as training. No matter what the terrain. The whole 1% incline is supposed to mimic certain things, headwind, hills, resistance of the asphalt. My question on these things is what mimics a tailwind, down hills, grass or dirt. Where I live the wind blows hard all the time. 15MPH is a calm day. You can not simulate that on a treadmill.

Work on your pacing period. You are running too fast outside.

2011-11-22 8:56 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I am forced to run on a treadmill quite often during the week due to childcare necessity.  I don't mind it.  It certainly has not hurt my run fitness.  If anything, it has helped.  I run faster outside than on the treadmill.  I think this is due to the calibration of the treadmill that I choose to run on.  I use a HR monitor (and know my zones through field testing) in order to gauge my treadmill running.  The miles shown on the display are irrelevant.  I go by time.
2011-11-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3911362

User image

New user

So my pacing probably was an issue. Could have been the temps too as someone mentioned. I did start running outside earlier this year before it was really hot, but it was still warmer than the controlled climate inside the gym. My thinking was that the treadmill might have been easier, but if it works then that's good for me because I'm really not a fan of cold weather. 

I just didn't want to move a lot of my running to the TM this winter only to struggle again come spring. 

2011-11-22 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I dont like running on a treadmill, it feels like torture to me but sometimes I have to do it. I would suggest to run outside as much as you can and if you have to use the treadmill the you have to.
2011-11-22 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
bdye101 - 2011-11-22 6:37 AM

Most of the posts missed the point of the OP question. The reason you had a hard time running the same mileage outside versus on the treadmill comes down to one thing, pacing. On the treadmill you ran at a nice even pace the whole time. Outside you are more than likely running too fast. If you ran outside at the same pace you ran on the treadmill, for the same amount of time the distance would be similar. So it's not the treadmill, it is your pacing you need to work on.

Oh. I run 100% of the time on the treadmill at 0% incline. On race day I run the exact same pace as training. No matter what the terrain. The whole 1% incline is supposed to mimic certain things, headwind, hills, resistance of the asphalt. My question on these things is what mimics a tailwind, down hills, grass or dirt. Where I live the wind blows hard all the time. 15MPH is a calm day. You can not simulate that on a treadmill.

Running on the treadmill at 10' pace is not the same thing as running 10' pace outside, for instance. You need to adjust the incline to make it the same. A 10:26 mile pace outside is equivalent to a 10' pace at 0% incline on the treadmill.
2011-11-22 12:59 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
I haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but as the majority have mentioned, treadmill training is a great supplement for winter training when the outdoors proves too harsh.

One note I will stress includes incorporating outdoors training if you have a big race coming up. I made the mistake of coming out of winter only have done treadmill training and straight into an outdoor marathon; my legs were trashed from the pavement.
2011-11-22 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3907682

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lisac957 - 2011-11-18 3:31 PM

For me, the treadmill changes my running gait and I find it much more difficult. My feet, knees and shins hurt, and the 0% incline feels like 2% to me. When I go 2 or 3 miles it feels like I've gone 6 or 7. I guess I'm the opposite of most of you who've replied. But for me, yes, I feel like it certainly does not HELP my fitness.

I prefer 9.9 times out of 10 to get outside, as it's simply more natural and is less painful on my body. The only time you'll find me on one of those is when the there is an ice storm outside and have too many miles to do the indoor track, which is anywhere from 8-12 laps equaling one mile.

To add to that... I feel that treadmill running is harder for me... because I can't self regulate my pace.

When I'm outside, I speed up and slow down as needed... based on terrain, HR, the evironment, etc. When I'm on a treadmill doing a long run, I am running at a steady pace for x amount of time. Just seems harder, because I can't self regulate my pace.

2011-11-22 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
bdye101 - 2011-11-22 8:37 AM

Ah... see... I was ASSuming that the OP had a Garmin and was running the same pace inside and outside. If he's not, then pacing is the issue.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does treadmill training hurt your run fitness? Rss Feed  

of 2