General Discussion Race Reports! » Val Nolasco Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Val Nolasco Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Mid-Pacific Road Runner's Club
73F / 23C
Total Time = 1h 41m 7s
Overall Rank = 118/935
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/88
Pre-race routine:

Not really ideal. Got about 4 hours of sleep the last 2 nights and rode 45 miles the day before. Legs still felt pretty good, but I don't think my gas tank was 100% full.

Just coming off my minor calf strain. Wasn't sure what to expect. All signs were good going into the race, but you never know. I think the strain actually helped me tone down my miles a bit to be a little more fresh unlike last year where I gassed out shortly after the halfway point. I always say that things happen for a reason...I don't think this was any different.

Goal was to run somewhere around 1:42.
Event warmup:

Woke up at about 3:15, ate a little, drank a gatorade and drove down to the race site. Got my chip, took a crap, then jogged about 1.5 miles just to loosen up. Finished with a minute or so at race pace and that was it.

I had a gel with me to take right after my warm up, and 15 minutes before the start, but I forgot about it until 5 minutes before the race when I was already near the starting line. I just downed it without water.

Weather was ideal. A bit windy, but very cool and overcast. Heat or humidity was never an issue.
  • 1h 41m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile

Gun went off and I was starting way too fast...pacing in the low 7's. I knew the first major hill, which was also into the wind was coming up, so I just went with it to bank some time while I felt good.

Climbed Diamond Head at around 8:25 pace overall, closer to 9 minutes during the steep parts, but made most of the time back on the downhill towards triangle. Hit the first aid station and dropped the gel I was holding in my hand when trying to throw away a cup...LOL. Climbed up towards KCC ar around 8:10ish pace, and by the time I hit Kilauea, I was on 7:45 pace overall...right where I wanted to be. This is good practice for the marathon...knowing how much slower I can afford to climb these hills and still be on track.

Once I got out onto the highway, I found a guy to draft and just tucked right behind him pretty much till the turn around. It was fairly windy (15-25 mph), so it made a big difference. After the turnaround, with the tailwind, I wasn't running much I have to assume I saved at least 30-50 seconds when drafting for those 2 miles into the wind.

I saw that I was ahead of Tanya and Wendy, so I knew I was doing's just a matter if I could hold on. It was about this point last year when the wheels fell off, and my legs turned to lead. I could definately feel myself starting to fatigue, but I got a good boost from seeing Andrew, John, Gaysha, and Randy on their training runs. My overall pace dropped to 7:41 just before the small roller back to Arco.

Made the turn down Kahala Ave with roughly 3.5 miles to go and my pace started to fade. A few more people started to pass me and my pace was creeping up closer to 8 minute miles, and my overall pace to 7:44. Then of course there's that effin hill up to Triangle Park. Shortened my strides and tried to increase my cadence which worked well, but was still losing more time.

Finally made it up to the top of Diamond Head with my overall pace slowing to 7:47...which would put me right at my goal of 1:42. It was all downhill and flat from here though, and I just tried to lean forward on the downhill to go as fast as I could without face planting.

Just before I got to Kalakaua, I saw Darrin, Charlie and Roy which gave me a little pep. Roy said that Wayne was right behind me, which gave me some motivation...when really Roy was just messing with me...LOL. Saw Meredith holding her "Run now, Beer later" sign and tried to smile, but my face must have looked like a train wreck.

I accelerated a few times during the last half mile into the low 7's, but couldn't sustain it. Passed a guy on one of my moves...and then pulled even with another lady who would dropped me like a bad habbit as soon as I pulled even. I kind of chuckled and encouraged her to finish hard. I kind of cruised the last 200 yards, constantly looking back to make sure Wayne or anyone else wasn't trying to track me down at the line.
What would you do differently?:

Little more rest in the days leading up to the race and maybe not ride so far. Not drop my gel. Course gatorade and water worked well, but I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do with my gels since they don't sit well in my pockets when running.

Overall, I think I did well physically, but mentally, I wasn't prepared to suffer. I forgot how tough stand alone running race are, and my mind kept wanting to go back to a more comfortable pace, even though my body was not hurting that bad.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure. Nursing my slight calf injury helped me taper more than I planned. Not sure if that helped or hurt...probably helped.

Last updated: 2011-02-23 12:00 AM
01:41:07 | 13.1 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/88
Overall: 118/935
Performance: Good
7:44, 8:07, 7:41, 7:37, 7:36, 7:39, 7:35, 7:34, 7:49, 7:49, 8:10, 8:01, 7:14
Course: From Kapiolani Park out over Diamond Head via the marathon route, turning around just before Aina Hina. Basically the full marathon route less the extra 13.1 miles that are flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

2011-11-20 5:39 PM

User image

Subject: Val Nolasco Half-Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Val Nolasco Half-Marathon Rss Feed