Run Wichita
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 16s
Overall Rank = 611/771
Age Group = 50 to 54
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate Greek yogurt with blueberries and Kashi. Got my mom and Ben up to go with me. Drove to Wichita.
Event warmup:

Checked in. Mom and Ben decided to walk the two mile while I was running the 10 mile. Changed into my Inuit dress since other people were also dressed in a "Thanksgiving" way. Waited in line for the potty, then got Mom and Ben where they needed to be and found a spot at the start of the 10 mile.
Run
  • 1h 48m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well. I was hoping for an 11 minute mile pace at the slowest, and I did that. I felt good throughout the race. At about mile 4, I peeled off the top of my dress and wrapped it around my waist because it was quite warm out on the course, even with the wind.

At about mile 7 or 8, my left Achilles started aching, so that slowed me a little, but it felt better by mile 9.

At the finish, I thought about sprinting in, but I decided not to. I could see the clock and saw that I was ahead of my goal, and I decided that the few seconds I would gain were not worth the risk of injury, especially with the sore Achilles.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have run a little faster. As I do these longer races, I think I will feel more confident in upping the pace. Still this pace was faster than most of my long training runs. More importantly, perhaps, this pace was right around the same pace I had for my first 5k seven months ago, so I have made progress.
Post race
Warm down:

Mom and Ben met me at the finish and walked me over to the water and got me an orange slice. I also had a turkey hotdog. We sat around; I stretched; and we tried to win something in the trivia contest, but failed.

Last updated: 2011-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:16 | 10 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 611/771
Performance: Average
Course: The course included about 3 miles on city streets, but the rest was on bike/running trails around the Arkansas River.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-11-24 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Wichita Turkey Trot - 10 Mile

2011-11-24 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3913961

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: RE: Wichita Turkey Trot - 10 Mile
KansasMom - 2011-11-24 6:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving and Congrats on the race .
Sounds like you ran a very smart race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wichita Turkey Trot - 10 Mile Rss Feed