General Discussion Race Reports! » X-Country Marathon, 30K, Half-Marathon & 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

X-Country Marathon, 30K, Half-Marathon & 5K - Run30k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lithia, Florida
United States
TampaRaces.com
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 9s
Overall Rank = 25/41
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Up early. Dressed. Quick coffee. Banana and water.
Event warmup:

Jog to the start line. Ms. Garmin kept trying to tell us to go in the back side of the park, where there was no entrance. Why not take us to the main gate? So, a bit later than planned and packet pickup was about 1/2 mile from the start line.
Run
  • 3h 28m 9s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I may have started a bit too fast as the first 8 miles felt like they flew by. The next 10 seemed to get progressively more difficult, with the miles between 11 and 13 being the hardest for me. We went through a long (half mile?) stretch of soft sand right before the half marathon mark and then again right before the finish. I kept reminding myself that this was just a long training run and to treat it as such. The goal was not time, but to get through it intact and feeling good. It was quite warm, and we had long stretches in the direct sun, so I am sure that had some effect. But, when I finished, although I was tired, and I had a blister on one of my toes, I felt I could have struggled through another 7 miles for a full marathon (on the pavement, though; not trails).
What would you do differently?:

Start out slower and a bit more controlled.
Post race
Warm down:

Long walk back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly, a bit of over confidence. Need to treat trail running with respect...always.

Event comments:

I thought this race was very well run, nice long-sleeve tech shirt, top 10 men/women got a finisher's award (a glass bottle that I'm not sure what it is for, but it's nice to have something different than a medal). Heard a few folks thought the trail wasn't well marked, but that's ridiculous. It was exceptionally well marked. The smaller crowd was a nice change from the typical over-hyped road race. I would definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2011-08-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:28:09 | 18.64 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 25/41
Performance: Average
Course: Couple of loops through large park with mixture of walking, horse, and mountain biking trails. Very nice. Not too technical, but more challenging than I would have thought (except based on last year's times, I figured it couldn't be a "walk in the park"...).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-24 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: X-Country Marathon, 30K, Half-Marathon & 5K

2011-11-24 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3913978

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: X-Country Marathon, 30K, Half-Marathon & 5K
Nice job out there!  Top 10 is fantastic.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » X-Country Marathon, 30K, Half-Marathon & 5K Rss Feed