The Wilds
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 48s
Overall Rank = 113/141
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Was on the road about 730, after gassing up and getting a big mug of coffee. Drove out to the Wilds with the last 15 miles passing through pretty, rolling countryside. That’s when it dawned on me that this was going to be a hilly course. I really don’t know what I was expecting for a trail race.
Event warmup:

Arrived an hour before start time. Had some applesauce (it’s not as sweet as Gu, packs in the carbs, and goes down easy). I got myself registered. Hit the porta-potty. Then, I wandered around in search for Kim. I finally found her in the parking lot in her car. We spent the rest of the time chatting, stretching, and walking around.
Run
  • 1h 06m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The start took us up a first hill which would be nothing compared to those to come. Then we went into a hairpin loop down into a valley up another hill. Mile marker #1 was at the top of that one.

Down into another valley and up for a half-mile climb. Mile #2 was at the top with a water stop to boot. The downhills were always bittersweet because we could see the next hill that needed to be conquered.

Mile #3 was mostly downhill with a hump in the middle of it offering some reprieve. I was enjoying letting my legs churn as fast as they could on the downhill bits to make up as much time as I could. It also lowered my HR that had spiked from the climbs before.

Mile #4 started with another climb. At this point, every successive incline was steeper or at least feeling tougher than the previous.

Mile #5 started with the absolute steepest decline yet. Parts of it were just impossible to run down because it was that steep. There was a little stream at the bottom and then, the absolute steepest incline yet. Now, that baby was impossible to run all the way up. It was quicker to power walk this one. At the top, there was another aid station. The rest of that mile was pretty flat. I tried to make up speed but most of the path was spongy and it was really hard work to get any speed at all.

Mile #6 was at the start of a short hill through some sparse trees that looped down and back again. Another hill, then down all the way to the end. I did manage some decent speed coming through to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was happy with my effort and the course. It was tough but I didn't bonk and was able to muscle through right to the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and wandered around for awhile. Ate a banana & granola bar. Stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Drink station had water only. Given the dificulty of the course, I think that an energy drink would have been a good idea.

Post race food was plain old bagels and PB&J.

The Wilds

Last updated: 2006-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:48 | 06.21 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 113/141
Performance: Good
Course: The whole racecourse was grass that had been mowed. Sometimes the surface was hard while other times, the ground was spongy with longer grass and soft earth. Another thing was that it was held on grassy hills that didn’t boast much else but grass in the way of vegetation. At most points on the course, you could look up or down and see people running ahead although you never were quite sure how far ahead they were because we never knew what sort of twists and turn the course had once we got to a summit or around a hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-29 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: The Wilds Ecothon Trail Race

2006-04-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: #410039

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: The Wilds Ecothon Trail Race

Wait, waitwaitwaitwait.

You and I were at yet another race together, and we didn't meet IRL AGAIN?

What's up with that?

Do you really exist? I'm starting to doubt. Wait, maybe I don't exist. That would be all "sixth sense" and stuff.
2006-05-01 5:16 PM
in reply to: #410039

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: The Wilds Ecothon Trail Race
Nice race Marina.  Sounds like it was a fun race.  I've been out to the Wilds and the scenery is really nice (and hilly!)  Sounds like you pushed yourself through the hills very well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Wilds Ecothon Trail Race Rss Feed