General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed the night in Carrollton and woke up at 5:15. Had an apple and a Harvest Bar for breakfast and stopped by Waffle House on the way to the race for a cup of coffee. Gotta have my morning coffee!
Event warmup:

At the park by 6:30, I got a good spot on the rack and set up my transition area. At body marking, I saw a friend of mine from high school who was volunteering at the race. I walked up to pick up my chip and she said "I know you!" It turns out that the race directors go to her church and she was asked to volunteer. Pretty cool that I radomly saw somebody I hadn't in seen in years at the race!
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Worst swim ever.

Freezing water. Hopped in pre-start to acclimate myself to the temperature. Swam some lengths and felt okay about it. After being in the water, we were asked to get back on shore before the start. I was shivering I was so cold. Teeth chattering shivering. Start goes off and I cannot keep my heart rate down. Breathing is off stroke is off nothing going right. Breast stroke for a bit then freestyle. Mainly breast stroke until 250m then I'm able to calm myself down a bit and got into whatever groove I could get into and started swimming freestyle. Final 350m was allright - not good but allright.
What would you do differently?:

No idea.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Bright spot here. Shaved ~1.4 minutes off my last T1 time. Decided not to wear socks on the bike which meant I didn't have to get socks on wet feet. Note to self: no more socks on the bike.

Nothing. It was a pretty good T1 for me.
Bike
  • 43m 58s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 15.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I was killing on the bike. I felt great - I was nailing shifting when I needed to, cadence was great, even the hills were pretty good. Some great downhills allowed me to really get some speed up and keep it up for a while on the flats with the big ring. Got passed by a dude just before mile 8 when I noticed he had a BT.com temporary tattoo on his right calf. I caught back up to him and Donmck and I chatted for a bit.

Shortly after he powered away, I noticed that I was bouncing a bit on my seat. It didn't feel right - looked at my rear tire and noticed it wasn't as pumped up as it should've been. "Hmm", I thought to myself, "I thought I pumped the tires up before the race." A couple of seconds later, I look down at the tire again. Even less air this time. CRAP! I've got a flat! I had been doing so well on the bike! DA*M!

Pull over on the side of the road. People are whizzing by me, people I was in front of! Some guy rides past, asks is I have everything I need. Thankfully, I do. Out comes the tire lever, off with the old inner tube (fought with it for a bit), on with the new inner tube, back on with the tire. Hook the CO2 cartridge to the valve and it inflates it only halfway. Halfway! Oh no! I couldn't remember if I had put another cartridge in there after my last flat tire. I dig around and sure enough, there's a spare. Whew. Filled it up, tire back on bike, shoved everything back into my seat bag, and off I go.

Though I didn't time the tire change, I estimate it took me about 7-10 minutes. Not great, but this was the first time I had to do it in a race situation.

7 minute flat change: 36:58 bike segment = 18.18 mph
10 minute flat change: 33:58 bike segment = 19.78 mph

NOT GET A FLAT TIRE!
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Good T2. Put the socks on my feet at T2 instead of T1, so this was a bit longer than my last tri, but only by 10 seconds.

Nothing. Another good transition.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

New PR for a 5K!

I thought it was pretty hilly. Left shoe came untied just past the 2nd mile marker. Somebody tried to muscle past me in the last .1 mile. I couldn't let that happen, so I really turned it on and surprised myself.

Nothing. Outside of having to retie my shoe, it was a great run! I mean c'mon! I got a new PR out of it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, water, bagel, banana, Hydrox (fake Oreos, though they were really around before Oreos...)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

FLAT FREAKIN' TIRE!

Event comments:

I was really disappointed by my swim time, but I think I can chalk some of it up to the cold-ass water. The flat tire really blew serious chunks but that's something that I can put down on my "have done" list: change a flat tire during a race. I really wish I would've hit the split button on my watch so I could've known how long it took, but I estimate anywhere from 7-10 (maybe even more) minutes. I felt like I was really smoking the bike and the flat tire made me all the more motivated to hammer the remaining part of the bike and nail the run.

Last updated: 2006-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 656 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None.
Course: Counter clockwise triangle. Turns at 250m and 500m
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:58 | 11.2 miles | 15.28 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Clockwise out of the park on country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:43 | 03.1 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Performance: Good
8:12, 8:27, 8:24
Course: Nice and flat first mile around the lake on some paved walking trails, then dirt/gravel road out of the park, then HILLY country roads, then reverse.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-29 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

It was nice to see how supportive so many people were when I was on the side of the road changing my flat. There were quite a few people who asked if I needed any help and if I had everything I needed. Though triathlons are competitions, for me at least, the competition is with only myself, and it seems that I'm not the only one in that boat. The fact that others were willing to stop and help if I had needed it shows me that my faith in mankind is not entirely misplaced!

My transitions in this race were pretty good. I think I learned alot about them and feel alot better about them.

Having had the flat kinda makes me feel a bit more like a stud - I had never changed a flat tire under so much pressure!

Donmck, it was nice to chat with you for a bit!

Edited by sranney 2006-04-29 5:52 PM

2006-04-29 7:10 PM
in reply to: #410074

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Hey Steve...geez what bad luck@!!!  Way to perserve tho   Hope you have a great sunday
2006-04-29 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race, especially the PR! That run was hilly on the back end, not an easy place to set a record. I'm sorry about your flat, it's tough to bouce back from something like that in the middle of a race.

Thanks for tracking me down, it was great to talk to you. We met a few BTers, thanks to those tattoos.
2006-04-29 10:21 PM

Veteran
Marietta, GA

Great race and that water was cold!  The swim killed me too.  Terrific bike ride especially with those killer hills in the middle.

2006-04-30 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Sorry about the flat...you must have had it fixed before I got to you because I didn't see you and I am sure you were ahead of me. Great race!

Kelly

Edited by Abear2 2006-04-30 8:49 AM
2006-04-30 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome about your PR on the 5 K way to go!!

2006-05-01 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I just looked at the overall standings...yes you were ahead of me...like, 3 people ahead, but I am sure you finished several minutes before I did because of the waves. Sorry I missed you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed