General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-08-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4375190

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Diane039 - 2012-08-22 12:45 PMI have been to several Full Ironmans and I was just aware that if the water is a certian temp then wet suits are not allowed.
you are absolutely correct. However, the water in Lake Michigan in Racine will never ever be that warm. Ever.

2012-08-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3916289

User image

Wisconsin

I agree, highly unlikely that Lake Michigan will ever get that high. I think the cut off for wetsuit legal is 78 degrees.  So if the water is 78 or higher you CAN wear one but not be eligible for age group rankings.  At the Kansas 70.3 this June it was wetsuit illegal so those that wore them were also moved to the final wave of the morning vs. their age group slot. 

Please ask your questions, that's what people are here for... share info!

2012-08-22 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4375332

I am going to the swim site for my first sprint tri and doing the open water swim tomorrow and friday. So we will see how that goes. I am still a bit confused with transitions I have been training in bike shorts and a bike jersey. Am I supposed to swim in them? Also I have bike short that have padding in the but are those the right kind to wear?

2012-08-22 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4375468

User image

New user
Kenosha
Diane039 - 2012-08-22 2:57 PM

I am going to the swim site for my first sprint tri and doing the open water swim tomorrow and friday. So we will see how that goes. I am still a bit confused with transitions I have been training in bike shorts and a bike jersey. Am I supposed to swim in them? Also I have bike short that have padding in the but are those the right kind to wear?

My suggestion is to get a pair of tri shorts that don't have the large pad (like biking shorts). For a sprint, the biking shorts will stay saturated which could become very uncomfortable on the bike. Plus, running in biking shorts is never fun. Here's what I would suggest for a race day outfit: 1) tri shorts with a thin pad; 2) a sport bra (if you have a wetsuit). If you don't have a wetsuit, get yourself a tankini. If you have a wetsuit swim, with bra and tri-shorts, all you need to do is toss on a top with your other biking gear (shoes, socks, helmet, sunglasses, etc). If you don't wear a wetsuit, then tankini and tri-shorts have you ready for the bike (along with the other gear).

For a sprint tri, I don't recommend a bike shirt. You should be able to fuel with just the water/fuel in your bottled attached to the bike.

Return from the bike, dump your biking gear and bike at your Transition station, put your running shoes on. While on the move, you can put your hat and whatever other gear you need.

Here's a five minute video on transtions: http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIJQSzVQZgsAaF77w...

good luck!!
2012-08-22 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4374890

User image

Extreme Veteran
bsantelik - 2012-08-22 10:25 AM

I'm in for 2013.  Round 2 of my HIM life.

Same here.  Registration fees go up at midnite.  Took advantage and saved $25.  2013 will be 4th time at Racine for me and plan now is that it will be a prep and part of training for IMWI (If I get in and dont chicken out!!!!)

2012-08-28 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4375745

Doing my first tri this weekend!

2012-10-09 1:22 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha
For those of you that saw Rob the Firefighter in Racine and/or IMWI, he's now headed to Kona!

http://ironman.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship/out-of-the-fire...

Amy and I will be there. We are volunteering at the Mile 1 and 9 aid station of the run.

Best of luck to Rob!!!

Cyndi!
2012-10-10 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4375332

Master
Northern IL
gordon_mom - 2012-08-22 1:53 PM

I agree, highly unlikely that Lake Michigan will ever get that high. I think the cut off for wetsuit legal is 78 degrees.  So if the water is 78 or higher you CAN wear one but not be eligible for age group rankings.  At the Kansas 70.3 this June it was wetsuit illegal so those that wore them were also moved to the final wave of the morning vs. their age group slot. 

Please ask your questions, that's what people are here for... share info!

(Yes, I'm late on this one) 78 is the cut-off for prize/award eligibility. There is also the cut-off at 84 where there is no choice, wetsuits are not allowed at all. Given that Lake Michigan is very unlikely to reach 78, this one is incredibly remote. Generally it will take a much smaller, shallower body of water and very hot air temps for some time. Muncie & Louisville are somewhat nearby races notable for this.

2013-01-15 10:58 AM

So, is there going to be a new thread for the 2013 race?  I wanted to post that I just signed up for this year!

Also, where are the best places to stay?  I have looked and there isn't anything that would be within walking distance to the start.  So, I was considering just staying up in Milwaukee, since there will then be more to do the day before the race, etc.  Also, what is parking like on race day?  Are there recommended places to park in the morning?

Looking forward to this race!

2013-01-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4579353

User image

timkelley - 2013-01-15 10:58 AM

So, is there going to be a new thread for the 2013 race?  I wanted to post that I just signed up for this year!

Also, where are the best places to stay?  I have looked and there isn't anything that would be within walking distance to the start.  So, I was considering just staying up in Milwaukee, since there will then be more to do the day before the race, etc.  Also, what is parking like on race day?  Are there recommended places to park in the morning?

Looking forward to this race!

We stayed at the Super 8 in Racine last year.  They were in the middle of getting all new beds as we checked in. Clean, simple place, no frills... typical low budget hotel situation.

Parking is not too bad but it's all residential parking.  I was told there is a ramp a few blocks away, but you might just as well park on the street.  We got there around 5:30AM and parked about 6 blocks away from the transition area.  I highly recommend the athlete meeting the day before.  It was really helpful as a first timer to both the race and the area.

One of the best organized events I have ever been around.  I was really impressed overall.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27