General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Forrest Run! - Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Run Forrest Run! - Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
New Orleans Track Club
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 27m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a horrible night sleep. Woke up at least every hour. It stormed all night too, so I knew the course would be wet. Had a mini-bagel with peanut butter on my way out the door.
Event warmup:

Checked in, got my good, and took them back to my truck. Stretched, jogged a little bit to loosen up, and tried to stay dry. It would start raining about every 5 mins for a minute or so. Right before the race started, it started pouring. So basically, I was soaked before the clock even started.
Run
  • 27m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping to PR today. I started strong with a 7:32 first mile, and that was it. My HR was spiked, my shin was hurting, and I could feel blisters coming on from running in wet cotton socks. It just wasn't worth it to blow myself out on this one. So I slowed my pace, lowered my HR, and just enjoyed the rest of the run. Talked to some people from my home state of FL, and just relaxed.
What would you do differently?:

I had no experience with racing in the rain. I really need to think about that ahead of time next time. I probably came out a little strong, which didn't help my shin. Once I slowed up though I felt fine.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to my truck and put on a dry shirt. Went into the Bubba Gump restaurant and got some pasta and grabbed a beer. Had a seat outside and enjoyed the view. The weather had cleared up nice by now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overall lack of training.

Event comments:

The post race was awesome! It was at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company down in the French Quarter. They actually opened up the restaurant to all of the runners, and served a great shrimp pasta. There was even a Forrest Gump look-a-like that looked and sounded A LOT like the real deal. This was one of the best post-races I've seen. Overall, great time. Just wish I could say the same for my race.

Last updated: 2006-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:34 | 03.11 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-30 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Run Forrest Run! - Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Forrest Run! - Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Rss Feed