Rock and Roll Series
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 33m
Overall Rank = 3336/4022
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 212/277
Pre-race routine:

Night before ate dinner with BT peeps. Got about 5-6 hrs sleep. Up at 4. Walked dog while eating peanut butter/banana sandwich. Had my 1 cup of coffee so I could take care of business at home. Once there. Had water. Got to collesium for shuttle ride at 5. Hit the gas station 1 last time to complete major business. Got to field by 5:30ish. Got hip taped from my chiropractor and 10 minute light massage (they had like 25 massage therapists there for free). Had a couple fig newtons. Met up with my BT family. Took Chris (cbost) 2 attempts to get BT tatoo on my shoulder. sorry chris is was funny...yes you take off the protective part. peed in bush...line too long,...why should the guys get all the breaks? took a couple girls there to take their maiden voyage in the bushes. And found my posse: amanda, stephanie, tonya to run with.
Event warmup:

Besides the massage did some stretching. found out Jeff (parrj) was athletic trainer and could do cheer partner stunts and I totally wanted to do before race as a fun warm up but we were worried I would get hurt. (golfinggods..shut up :)! you don't know what u are missing...they are totally fun and nothing like finding a chess partner!).
Run
  • 5h 33m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I was feeling great about tempo the first 10 miles. Doing my goal of about 11 min mile like I wanted to. Not fatigued. But lost my peeps and didn't find them again until the 1/2 and full split at mile 11. I am normally dead and cranky from mile 13-17 and having amanda push me on really helped. My hip and legs were holding up until the wind/hill series from mile 16.5 to 19.5...my legs were like jello after that. Not to mention I lost about 10 minutes b/c dust kicked up crap under my contacts and I couldn't see or open my eyes. And then ran those next few miles with my head tucked and my hand covering my eyes a bit...ugh it hurt so dang much. My arms, neck, core and back much better this time so stregth training and hey maybe my new swimming? helped there. I think I just don't have enough training to handle 18 miles and beyond. I just get so fatigued and feel like I have no energy left. It is not so much the pain or my heart (not to say that I am not in pain) but really I just run out of steam. And then just so tired I didn't have the mental fight to keep pushing to at least come in under 5:30 which I could totally have done...I was also feeling so 'faint' I didn't want to drop at the last mile and not finish.
What would you do differently?:

Train with more hill work.
Do more long runs. I just have a different race after 18 miles and it blows my times.
Wear sunglasses no matter what the weather report says. (have a better back up plan for my contacts). I didn't even have a case with me or drops).
Eat/sleep better week of race.
Do not plan my biggest fundraiser 2 days before the race.
I may need to drink more water on course. I have done 3 now and never have to pee...is that normal??? I was always afraid of the 'overhydrate' issue..but maybe that is part of why I get so at end fatigued??
Post race
Warm down:

I made sure I had banana and muffin as I walked thru finish. Stayed to cheer everyone in. Stretched a lot. Ripped out my lens for good b/c my eyes got red again with more dust...I think they are scratched up good for a bit (eyes and contacts). Got home. Ice bath for 10-15 minutes. Showered. Vitamiins, Tylenol, Dinner with BT gang about 6 pm that night. Boy did I eat that dinner!! I think it was the best I ate all week.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough hill work training for this course. I realized too late that with my fundraising dinner the same week, I did not sleep enough nor eat enough the week of. I even skipped meals rather than building up. It was just too busy and stressful of a week. I hate to say it too but also running with my period...sorry TMI but I was just depleted of energy and I felt it.

The weather killed me. It was very sunny the front half and I just prefer cold and overcast. Lame I know. 2nd half the wind was just soooo tough...and during numerous hills. It just knocked my petite frame all over the place. It really slowed my pace down, hurt my eyes and wore me out to finish well.

Event comments:

I am done with Nashville as a full marathon. Besides the insane hills, I was not happy both times with the 'rock and roll' on course...they hardly played and some of them played lame songs, the number of crowd is low for 2nd half...and parts of the course that are just boring. Maybe NYC spoiled me but it sure is great running thru different areas with a million people cheering you on. Also, 75% of runners/walkers at Nashville are doing the 1/2 and they just clog up the first 9 miles.

Last updated: 2006-02-09 12:00 AM
Running
05:33:00 | 26.2 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 212/277
Overall: 3336/4022
Performance: Average
10k split: 1:08 on target 1/2 mary split: 2:34 on target 20 mile split: 4:06 yeah slipping
Course: It is pretty but after 2 times and living here...it is just not exciting enough anymore. Hilly. From moderate climbs to WTF climbs. How did I forget? The one part along the Cumberland River was flat and cool and pretty. Crowded with too many 1/2 mary walkers in the beginning (they say it was a wave start but somehow slow 1/2 marathoners are in front of u at the start and it takes at least 7 miles for it to clear up. (I know when you start in lower corrals u don't notice this..we were in 12) Music not nearly as good as I was hoping. Should have brought the ipod since I lost some of my BT peeps for a while. Not enough crowd support in general in back 1/2. (75% of 23,000 participants do the 1/2). The last mile you go thru industrial no man land with NO ONE there to cheer you on...How crazy is that. (Blue man worshipping me at mile 25 was great though). so it is not until right before the 26 mile mark you start to see a crowd, you turn a corner and run .2 with the crowd.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2 pds
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-30 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: Country Music Marathon

2006-04-30 4:04 PM
in reply to: #410434

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Country Music Marathon
Great job there!! ANd its not my fault I have not put on a fake tattoo in years but now I know!!! Had a great time again at the dinner the night before! Lots of more races this year and yes you are invited to Memphis!!
2006-04-30 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome race.  At least you have a good excuse for the slow time.  The wind blew you a mile back at one time, didn't you really run 27.2   And don't blame me for clogging up your area.  I was halfway done before you ever started.  Not really but whatever.  It was great meeting you and thanks for dinner again.  Hopefully see you in VA Beach.
2006-04-30 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur, GA
Dinner was great! Glad you finished strong, even if it wasn't quite the timw you were hoping for.
2006-04-30 7:38 PM

Extreme Veteran

Renee,

Thanks again for taking all of us hungry runners into your place and feeding us some of the best Italian food I've ever had! It was such a fun weekend.

You did a great job on the race. With so many factors working against you, the hills, the wind, the gala, missed meals, low iron, lack of sleep, you perservered and finished the race! You rock, Doll! Now take it EASY for once and rest up!

Amanda

2006-04-30 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Renee, you are so awesomely cute! It was so cool to run with you, even though you passed me at the end. Thanks for the encouragement. I had a blast meeting you, and hope someday to have more time to hang with you (that's what happens when you stay with high school friends for a race) . Now, like Amanda said, rest. REST! And REST SOME MORE, lady! Tri season's about to start...

2006-05-01 9:18 AM

Regular
Congratulations Renee!  You done good girl!
2006-05-01 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Yes I am resting....well for me...lots of swimming this week. No YOU all rocked.

I think it is so funny how all of you kept saying "man you ARE so short!" ...yes I warned u all!!! I told u my feet must hit the ground 2x as many times as the rest of you! (and with my size 2 feet too!)...
2006-05-01 11:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-05-02 8:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,

Renee,

I want to add my congrats to the long list you already have.  You did a great job fighting though to the end of the race.  I agree that you need eye protection no mater what the condition, that is why I bought sunglasses that have interchangeable lenses.  So that way I have dark amber lenses for bright days, and clear lenses for overcast days.  I lucked out and found a set that came with extra lenses for about $50-$60 dollars as opposed to the $130  + dollar ones you find at many stores.  Enjoy your rest week, you earned it.

Dirk

2006-05-03 9:26 AM

Buttercup

Whoa!!! You did a mary! In hills! Wow! Fantastic! Sorry about the country music - that would have increased my pain, too.

I'm convinced that having a fashionable outfit makes the races less painful.

2006-05-03 10:47 AM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Congrats!  That course is tough.  I ran the 1/2 last year and always told myself to not run the marathon because it was so hilly and I hate hills.  Way to tough it out! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Country Music Marathon Rss Feed