Set-Up Inc
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 38s
Overall Rank = 122/152
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/34
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:10 a.m. Took a shower. Drank 24 ounces water. Ate toast with peanut butter. Got my stuff ready and loaded the bike in the car. Left the house at 5:50. I love that the event was so close to the house! Got to the race site at about 6:10. Got my bike dirty getting it from the parking area to the transition area -- oh well, a little clay never hurt anyone! Set up my transition stuff slowly, walked around looked at some other people's stuff, got body marked and my chip. Race meeting at 7:40. Between breakfast and the race I ate 3 granola bars and drank 16 ounces water. Didn't eat or drink anything within 1 hour of my start time (didn't want to have to go to the bathroom during the race!)
Event warmup:

I didn't really do any warmup. The race started at 8:00 and I didn't start my swim till 10:07, so I just walked around and watched the other racers in all of the events and stuff. It was cold outside in the morning, so I tried to stay warm! That was one good part about being a slow swimmer -- I had a later start time and it had warmed up a bit.
Swim
  • 09m 6s
  • 300 yards
  • 03m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a little slower than I wanted it to be. I was hoping to do 8 minutes or less. I got winded very quickly. This is definetely my worst event. It was all I could do to swim the 300 yards without stopping to rest.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think there is anything I would do differently, I just need to practice my swimming a lot more!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

This transition was long for me because I wore a swimsuit and put clothes on over it, so it took me time to put the clothes on. Also since I don't have clipless pedals, it took me time to put on my running shoes and lace them.

Also, I really need to practice running with the bike. This is just very awkward for me!

Eventually I will get a tri suit and clipless pedals and that will make me faster.
Bike
  • 47m 57s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I did pretty good on the bike. I think the 15.55 mph is almost a personal record for me. I need to learn how to drink on the bike. I am not coordinated enough to do this. I took one little swallow the whole race. I need to just practice this. I wish the hills were at the beginning of the race not the end because it left me very out of breath to start the run. Overall, I thought I did really well on the bike! I need to get over my fear of clipless pedals as well because I am sure this would improve my performance.

I need to learn how to drink on the bike before the next race. Other than that I don't think there is much I would do differently. I felt like I kept a pretty good pace the whole race. I need to practice more hills before the next race as well (I hate hills!)
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

This transition was super fast because I already had my running shoes on! I just took off my helmet, racked my bike and took off.

I need to learn how to run with the bike! Coming back in after I dismounted, I was trying to run with the bike and was holding the bike with one hand and the front wheel came clear off the ground and I almost lost the bike. Luckily I was able to bring it back down and then I walked it the rest of the way in!
Run
  • 32m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My time on the run shocked me. Much better than I thought I would do. Especially with all those hills! I had trouble drinking while running as well. I am just not that coordinated! I need to wokr on that. Other than that, just kept one foot moving in front of the other. I did not stop to walk at all and that was a major goal of mine.

Drink more. I noticed a little ways into the run that I was not sweating at all. That seemed like it would be a problem to me. I tried to drink some, but never did start sweating. I need to work on the running and the running on the hills some more, but I don't think I would have done anything else differently.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my husband, watched the awards ceremony. They had already packed up the food by the time I got done, but I had plenty of water and gatorade.I didn't sit down for a while because I didn't think I would be able to get back up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously I just need more practice in all of the events. It was my first race, and I am overall very pleased with my results. The bike and the run were both signifantly faster than I was expecting.

Event comments:

Overall, this race was organized wonderfully. My only complaint is that they seemed to cater more towards the fast people than us slow people. By the time I was done with the race, the massage people had packed up and gone home and the caterers had packed up and gone home. Also, they started the awards ceremony before the last person had finished. I just thought that was rude. It seemed disrespectful to the slower people.

For my first race, I was very pleased. Ten minutes after the race when I was super tired and standing was an effort, my husband asked me if I thought I would ever want to do it again, and I answered without hesitation - YES! It is a real feeling of accomplishment to have done it. I am already starting to plan when and where the next ones will be!

Last updated: 2006-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:06 | 300 yards | 03m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/34
Overall: 146/152
Performance: Below average
Suit: one piece swim suit
Course: in a pool - down and back once in each lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:57 | 12.43 miles | 15.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/34
Overall: 34/152
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: country roads, some hills, not a lot. The first part of the course was relatively flat. The from about mile 10 to mile 11 1/2 had the worse hills of the whole course! The course was very well marked and the police and the volunteers did a great job blocking traffic and directing racers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:33 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/34
Overall: 114/152
Performance: Average
Course: Through the neighborhood streets. Very hilly!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-30 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

2006-05-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: #410472

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon
Hey, great job.  I will tell you one trick I have with the run and drinking.  I don't remember where I heard it here, but I remember someone saying to never pass up the water-stops, even if it mean slowing to a walk as you pass the water stop.  As to drinking on the bike, you might consider a Camelbak or something similar if you are unsure of reaching down to a water bottle safely.  Again congrats you did great.
2006-05-02 8:50 AM
in reply to: #410472

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

Awesome job, Amanda!  You are a Triathlete! 

The first race always feels crazy.  When you get to your second race, you will feel so confident, because you will be a veteran.   

I'm sorry we missed you on Saturday!  I did catch up to several other BT'ers.  Hopefully next time! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed