General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, should I keep my road bike?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-05 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area
Subject: So, should I keep my road bike??

Hi, I have a question for all of you experienced tri folks out there.  I am new to triathlon but pretty experienced in running and have been cross-training with cycling a fair amount.  Anyway, I have a decent road bike (Specialized Allez Elite - aluminum frame with 105 groupset and Profile Design clip-on aero bars) and do enjoy riding it.  My question is this: I really think I'd like to have a tri bike but am wondering if I should keep my road bike?  I expect to do several sprint tri's this year and likely a HIM.  I would like to dull full IM in next couple of years and see HIM as something I will end up doing regularly as I currently do several full marathons per year now.  I guess, technically, there are several options:

1) Keep my road bike and just use it as is. 

2) Keep my road bike but maybe "trick it out" a little for tri's like maybe having a nicer wheelset (it has stock Mavics on it now)

3) Buy nice tri bike and keep road bike for training rides (seems wasteful to have 2 bikes??)

4) Buy nice tri bike and sell road bike.  Do people get tired of riding their tri bike for ALL rides and wish they still had their "old" road bike?

Sorry for the lengthy question but from reading the forums here many of you have really good advice and experience to lend.  Thanks in advance!

2011-12-05 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3927520

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: So, should I keep my road bike??
Somebody doesn't understand the n+1 rule... 
2011-12-05 10:55 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
ssmith2 - 2011-12-05 7:10 PM

Hi, I have a question for all of you experienced tri folks out there.  I am new to triathlon but pretty experienced in running and have been cross-training with cycling a fair amount.  Anyway, I have a decent road bike (Specialized Allez Elite - aluminum frame with 105 groupset and Profile Design clip-on aero bars) and do enjoy riding it.  My question is this: I really think I'd like to have a tri bike but am wondering if I should keep my road bike?  I expect to do several sprint tri's this year and likely a HIM.  I would like to dull full IM in next couple of years and see HIM as something I will end up doing regularly as I currently do several full marathons per year now.  I guess, technically, there are several options:

2) Keep my road bike but maybe "trick it out" a little for tri's like maybe having a nicer wheelset (it has stock Mavics on it now)

3) Buy nice tri bike and keep road bike for training rides (seems wasteful to have 2 bikes??)

4) Buy nice tri bike and sell road bike.  Do people get tired of riding their tri bike for ALL rides and wish they still had their "old" road bike?

Sorry for the lengthy question but from reading the forums here many of you have really good advice and experience to lend.  Thanks in advance!

I have a decent road bike as well that I have set-up for Tri's (fast forward Seat post, clip-on areo bars, read hydration set-up); I plan to keep my road bike when I purchase a Tri-Bike.  For what I'd get for it on the market as a used bike, vs.  what I paid for it and add-ons it is worth more to me than I'd expect to get for it.  I am keeping mine for training and other general rides.

2011-12-06 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3927572

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area
N+1..., I have to assume that means something like "the total number of bikes you own will be n+1 where n=the number of bikes you currently own, thus you keep all bikes and never sell. Did I guess right?!?!
2011-12-06 6:24 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Yes, definitely keep the road bike. Not only is it nice to have a back up bike, but also, if you want to head out with a group ride from the LBS or do a charity ride, or a century or anything of the kind, many times, a tri bike is won't be accepted (and sometimes not allowed).

Keep it the way it is and invest the extra money in a tri bike.
2011-12-06 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IMO if an athlete can only have one bike, it should be a road bike (or a cyclocross bike - even more versatile). A tribike is great for what it is intended for - going as fast as possible in a straight line with no other cyclists around but it is not the best choice in every situation.

Currently I have four bikes; road (race) bike, tribike, cyclocross bike and another road (commuter). If I had to get rid of all but one, I would probably keep the cyclocross bike as it will work for every race I want to do.

Shane

2011-12-06 8:03 AM

Extreme Veteran

I was in the same situaton about a month ago. I sold my beloved Specialized Tarmac to a friend to finance a Felt B16. So I no longer have a road bike. 

Here is my justification.

I'm doing my first IM in 2012 and wanted to do so on a tri bike.

I sold the road bike for a great price and only had to invest $200 into my tri bike.  I got a great deal from a local shop who wanted to put me on a brand he sells and sponsor me for up coming races.

If I find out I really need a raod bike i will probably buy a new Felt road bike at the end of the year.

I do feel bad about selling my road bike since its still in my basement sitting beside my new tri bike. If I could have afforded both I would have kept it.  

On another note I keep seeing post about not allowing tri bike on a charity ride or century rides. That seems wierd to me, i have never encountered this.  

2011-12-06 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area

Thanks to all for the responses, they are very helpful!

Thankfully right now I am blessed enough to be able to afford both bikes so I may go that route.  My main thought for only one bike is just that I tend to be run-centric and thus don't get to ride as much as I'd like and so it would just seem like one of the two bikes would be sitting around not getting used much. 

2011-12-06 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Use the road bike for the first season or two to see how enjoyable triathlons are. With better first hand knowledge, you will have a better idea what to look for in a tri-bike.
2011-12-06 11:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Another option:

Sell the road bike, get a good tri bike but set it up like this. You get the best of both worlds and a very versatile tri bike.

2011-12-07 5:07 AM
in reply to: #3929121

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
DeBoom's Felt from Norseman is really an exception force by the terrain of the race... The elevation is just brutal, so a road bike makes more sense....

Unless you live in a very, very hilly area, a dedicated tri bike would be a better choice. But still, keep your road bike

2011-12-07 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
My road bike is on my trainer while my race bike (tri bike) hangs gracefully in my garage. During the nasty winter months I plan on training mainly on the trainer and will get the tri bike out of hibernation in the Spring.
2011-12-07 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3929147

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

audiojan - 2011-12-07 5:07 AM DeBoom's Felt from Norseman is really an exception force by the terrain of the race... The elevation is just brutal, so a road bike makes more sense.... Unless you live in a very, very hilly area, a dedicated tri bike would be a better choice. But still, keep your road bike

Sure, a tri bike with drop bars is excellent for hills (and mountains). But if someone wants to just have one bike, it is also a good way to get great versatility out of an a aero and fast triathlon specific frame. And it makes your tri bike so much more useful (and safer) for riding in town, riding in the city, doing some errands, riding with groups. Etc. ...

2011-12-08 6:05 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I agree that if you are going to have only one bike, a road bike should be it. But if you add aerobars, you need to realize this will be somewhat of a compromise.
2011-12-08 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3927943

User image

Pro
ssmith2 - 2011-12-06 10:17 AM

Thanks to all for the responses, they are very helpful!

Thankfully right now I am blessed enough to be able to afford both bikes so I may go that route.  My main thought for only one bike is just that I tend to be run-centric and thus don't get to ride as much as I'd like and so it would just seem like one of the two bikes would be sitting around not getting used much

If you're in the position to do it financially, keep the road bike and get a tri bike.

If, in time, one isn't getting used, sell it off. You may find you like to have the option to switch it up - or that one bike really is THE bike for you.

2011-12-08 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
I'd use the road bike for your first tri season.  I'd keep both.  I tend to use my tri bike for races and on the trainer as I do most of my riding with my cycling club - so 95% of my road miles are on my road bikes.  I have 2 road bikes in addition to the tri bikes.  It's nice to be able to switch bikes and it's saved me to have a back-up.  I don't ride my tri bike in group rides.

2011-12-08 1:56 PM

Athens
Speaking from experience it's really nice to have a couple of bike options, even if one rarely ever gets used.  There have been times for me when I've started to feel a little burned out only to jump on a different bike and feel totally refreshed (for me it's a road bike and a cyclocross bike).  I don't know if it's the change in geometry, or the ability to put knobbies on the 'cross bike and hit some easy fire roads, but it's definitely a nice option to have.  I'd say that if money and space are not limiting factors then stick with both, at least for a while.
2011-12-08 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I agree with all of the previous posts regarding the need for a road bike if you want to do group rides. I have both, but I really enjoy riding with other people when I can so I definitely get to use both bikes. As I have gotten more into triathlon (especially the longer distances) I found the need to get a trainer, too - so I like having a second bike to ride outside at a moment's notice without taking one off of the trainer.

As for the reason behind no TT/Tri bikes on group rides - it is too dangerous because of a delayed reaction time for breaking on the TT/Tri bike for most riders. This is too much of a liability in a peloton, where one bad reaction can exacerbate an already sketchy situation when someone in front makes a mistake.

As for the "if I could only have one..." question - I'd stay with my road bike (and my tri bike is MUCH nicer). But, I can do century and longer rides on it no problem and can get in with groups - so I could still do a full IM on it, it just wouldn't be a nice for me on the run

Enjoy both if you go that route!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, should I keep my road bike?? Rss Feed