BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Elaine's Awesome Start to 2012 Group! - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-12-26 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3953746

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Elaine's Awesome Start to 2012 Group! - OPEN!

spar - 2011-12-26 6:20 AM I've been doing fairly well over the last few months - swimming twice a week, running 3 times a week (on a treadmill) and spinning 1-2 times per week. I have started the Ironfit program which I've combined with a half-marathon program I found online. I'm starting week 4 of the 'just finish' program today, but I'm thinking I might want to switch over to the intermediate program. Weight loss is one of my goals and I'm not reaching that one so far (although clothes are fitting much better). I am definitely able to eat those extra calories that I'm burning. I plan to try and focus more on my diet in the coming weeks. A little more about myself: I have a super-supportive husband and an amazing 3 & 1/2 year old daughter. I'm a veterinarian and I have a pretty busy schedule (including on call), which has been part of the challenge in the past. Thanks for your confidence that Epic Dartmouth is doable if I start now and train hard. I'm pretty excited about the next 6 months. PS. I hope everyone is having/had a wonderful holiday!

Have you looked around the forums here for info on the Ironfit plans? If you search the Iron Distance Training forum, you'll find a fair amount of info from people that have done the program.

You're on the right track so far

As for weight loss, it can be tough to do while training. But, doing it earlier in the plan is the right time for it. If you bonk on a workout (but still finish) early on in your training, it can be helpful. As you get into longer workouts - and especially in your key workouts, it's important to focus on fueling before, during and after.

Have you read Matt Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight?

A few thing he recommends are low calorie deficits (like 300-500 fewer daily), adding in some strength training, increased protein intake, and fasting workouts. Fasting workouts are long, slow runs or rides where you do not fuel before or during. He recommends one of these per week during the early stages of training. You'll force your body to use it's own fuel stores to keep you going. There is also a theory that these workouts will help "train" your body to use it's own fat and fuel better, even when you're taking in calories.

2011-12-26 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3953764

User image

Pro
jimmy3993 - 2011-12-26 7:34 AM

Elaine -

I'd like to join a group this year. Just started tri last summer. Right now I am signed up for a marathon at the end of feb (gotta go run in a sec...), a HIM in June and am planning for another HIM in October. I will add the odd local sprint as well.

I raced a ton last year and this year I am going to prepare better for fewer races and see how  that goes.

thx!

Welcome, Jimmy!

I checked out your blog - I'm really interested in your training! We'd love to have you in our group! Which HIMs are you planning on doing?

2011-12-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3952274

User image

Veteran
jenks

Elaine,

I have a sprint on January 29th.    I placed 21st overall last year and shooting for a top 5 finish.    Then Schedule as of now. 

jan sprint

march sprint

"April sprint sub hours

May Oly sub 2:20 min.  

June oly

July sprint and oly

aug.  not sure

Sept. HIM   goal sub 5 hour.   

Oct -dec.  cyclocross.  

full iron 2013.     

for those new in the group I have two kids 5 and 3.   My wife is one of my training partners.    I live in Oklahoma.   I look forward to seeing everyones progress.    Oh yea,  have fun.  

2011-12-26 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3943970

Hi Elaine! I would love to join your group. I am signed up for my first race ever, and could really use help. I live in Colorado Springs CO, once upon a time I was a swimmer, I do ok on the bike, and am scared to death of running! So I while I plan on kicking butt, I want to make sure I can complete the race!

2011-12-26 6:43 PM

I would love to join this group!!!  I have a strong background in running and was on the cycling team in college.  That said....I am a TERRIBLE swimmer!!  I took lessons from a top coach in California but my main issue is a fear of open water swimming.  I know how to swim but hyperventilate in open water and just freak myself out.  So if I can overcome that I will be okay!  I did a sprint last summer and survived and did a few duathlons.  My goal this year is the do the Half IM in August in Michigan and then the Chicago Marathon in October. 

I am 30 years old and finishing up an accelerated nursing degree in May.  I have a Masters In Exercise Physiology so understand much of hte training I need to do.  If I could just get comfortable with swimming!!  Looking forward to getting support and advice from everyone. My dad has done 5 Ironmans and I've been there to cheer him on andnow I want to get into this crazy sport!!

Katie

2011-12-27 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3954207

User image

Pro
ReesesPieces - 2011-12-26 3:59 PM

Hi Elaine! I would love to join your group. I am signed up for my first race ever, and could really use help. I live in Colorado Springs CO, once upon a time I was a swimmer, I do ok on the bike, and am scared to death of running! So I while I plan on kicking butt, I want to make sure I can complete the race!

We can definitely help! When is your first race? What is your training like now?

2011-12-27 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3954407

User image

Pro
ksidesin - 2011-12-26 7:43 PM

I would love to join this group!!!  I have a strong background in running and was on the cycling team in college.  That said....I am a TERRIBLE swimmer!!  I took lessons from a top coach in California but my main issue is a fear of open water swimming.  I know how to swim but hyperventilate in open water and just freak myself out.  So if I can overcome that I will be okay!  I did a sprint last summer and survived and did a few duathlons.  My goal this year is the do the Half IM in August in Michigan and then the Chicago Marathon in October. 

I am 30 years old and finishing up an accelerated nursing degree in May.  I have a Masters In Exercise Physiology so understand much of hte training I need to do.  If I could just get comfortable with swimming!!  Looking forward to getting support and advice from everyone. My dad has done 5 Ironmans and I've been there to cheer him on andnow I want to get into this crazy sport!!

Katie

Welcome,  Katie!

Anxiety about the swim is VERY common - so first you need to understand that you aren't alone! 

First step: Next time you're in the pool, swim with your eyes closed for a few strokes. This will help you get used to not being able to see clearly in open water, and it'll help you see if your stroke is symmetric or if you tend to veer off to the side. Do it a few times in your next pool session and let me know how it feels. 

2011-12-27 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3952276

I am thinking I will train for a while and then pick a local sprint tri, but I said I was going to do that last year too and I didn't mostly cause of the swim. I did do a lot of biking and spin classes last year and I loved it!
2011-12-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3953500

User image

Veteran

Sounds like a good plan!

Cycling is my weak point, so maybe some of your speed and skill will rub off on me during this mentor period

Managing training and kids can be tough, but it's definitely possible. Late nights and early mornings are inevitable. How old are your children? Have you ever done morning workouts, or do you prefer evening?

I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old. My wife has not been working, but should start again in January which means less available time. However, we usually manage to help eachother so that both of us can get some exercise time.

I was going to the pool twice a week in the morning. I own a construction company and we start at 7 am. So I can hit the pool at 6 am and swim about 30 minutes, shower and be at the job site at 7am. 

My goal at this point is to get in shape and be able to finish the distance and my challenge will be the run part. the longest distance I have ever ran in my life is 6 miles so getting to 13 after 56 miles will definitely challenge me. However, I like a challenge...

I put together a 20 week training plan but with the holidays and a vacation coming up, I am not sticking with it very well.

2011-12-27 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

NAME:  Mike (jmhpsu93...the "PSU" part is Penn State...been a rough year!)

BACKGROUND:  42-yr-old former weekend warrior athlete in almost every sport imaginable (mostly soccer and volleyball) throughout my 20s, focused on running and weight training in my 30s.  My weight peaked at about 227 in October of 2006 when I decided that it was time to start running more seriously.  I then completed the Baltimore Half-Marathon in 2007 and almost broke two hours.  Continued running through 2009 and had a couple more good HMs in the 1:54 range both times.  I've been a runner for almost 30 years without previous injury.

INTRODUCTION TO TRIATHLON:  My wife completed the Danskin Triathlon out in Seattle in Aug 2003 while training to get back in shape from having our daughter (now 9).  I was really inspired by the whole scene out there (and the girl-to-guy ration was pretty good Cool).  She completed two more of them (one in Disney...really cool, and one in Northern NJ).  I had always thought it would be pretty cool to try one, but I had ZERO swimming background and just couldn't muster up the determination to get going.  Fast forward to Feb 2010, I said "screw it, I'm doing one of these" and signed up for a long-ish sprint tri in August 2010.  I HATED the swim training.  I'm a classic runner/leg sinker and I would really struggle to even get through the 750 yard workouts.  I had real trouble trying to do the alternate breathing thing and in open water I would basically swim in a big circle.  The running and biking really came along nicely.

I completed my triathlon with a stellar 2:58 pace swim but managed MOP on both the bike (a hybrid at the time) and the run.  It was an absolute blast and I was hooked.  My daughter did the kids one the day before and did great, so she was a triathlete before me LOL.  My off season goals going into last year were to crush the Baltimore HM (almost did...cramps prevented a stellar performance but still managed a 4 min PR), and learn how to freakin' swim.

THIS YEAR:  I started using training logs and an HRM about October 2010.  I signed up for three triathlons (one sprint and two OLYs), with the goal of podium in Clydesdale.  I joined Bobby's (DreamChaser) mentor group and had a blast.  I stuck my head in the damn pool and kept it there until I learned how to alternate breathe and that made ALL the difference.  I was training very consistently, had two PR runs at the 10K and the 5K, could swim two miles now, and had completed a 44 mile bike/5 mile brick and had my weight down to 196 which I hadn't seen since I was about 20).  I was ready to crush my first race three weeks away.

The first weekend in June we were cleaning out our attic and I was carrying a bunch of heavy stuff down three flights of stairs when I felt a little twinge in my left knee. I kinda laughed about it at the time "oh, that's gonna hurt in the morning...HAHA" and it didn't bother me the rest of the weekend.  That Monday was the longest run of my training plan, 11 miles.  My knee swelled up a bit during the run and I made sure I iced it down really good that night.  Got through spin class the next morning, no problem.  Then my knee would start swelling and would hurt on the inside.  Went to the ortho...got a cortisone shot.  No effect.  Got an MRI...iffy.  We decided on arthro surgery for August 1st.  Meanwhile I got to live/race vicariously through my mentor group folks (who were REALLY supportive of me the whole time), watching four of them complete IMs (two for the first time), and hammer a bunch of PRs.

Had surgery in theory for a torn meniscus (but it wasn't torn at all), so the ortho did some chondroplasty for good measure and sent me to PT.  PT went well for about 10 weeks and I progressed nicely and was even starting to lightly jog around a bit.  Then swelling came back big time.  Shut it down for two weeks and got another cortisone shot.  This one seemed to work and I was able to resume training.  I bought a bike trainer was ready to progress through cycling while slowly building up my run percentage.  I was going through a relatively intense workout when I felt something pop in my RIGHT knee.  REALLY???????  Pain and swelling...same area as my left.  Went back to ortho and he was like "you gotta be kidding me".

So we're ordering fluid therapy injections for my knees and going from there.  Saw a 2nd opinion and he basically agreed with the 1st.  I might have torn plica but they're not going to operate again for just that.  So I'm on complete run/bike shut down for now, and figured I'd just swim through it for a month and see how it goes.

Three weeks ago I was dragging the last of the Christmas decorations down the stairs and it got caught on the bannister, caught me a little off balance, and I hurt my SI joint in my back yanking/twisting/lifting it.  Went to neuro guy (yes, and expensive year in health care for me!!!) and I'm on about five different medications right now with limited success.

CURRENT INJURY STATUS:  Full shut down until back heals, then maybe PT and resume swimming.  I'm a mess and I'm driving my family crazy.  Smile

2012 RACES:  I'm signed up for Eagleman 70.3 in June, with the idea it was going to be my glorious return to racing.  I think realistically that's not going to be doable unless my SI injury heals pretty damn quickly and I can manage the knee things.  So, for now I'm not going to race plan at this point.

I'm going to take advantage of this time away from running and cycling and develop good swim technique and endurance.  Guess I gotta learn to like it for now.  Smile 

THIS GROUP:  I'm glad there are a bunch of beginners, especially swimmers, that I bring some insight and experience to.  I also like that the mentor is a great swimmer and I hope through osmosis I will get better. 

One of the important things for me when I started to train for triathlon was to pick some sort of plan and try to stick with it as best as I could.  Obviously life gets in the way sometimes, but if you can get done 80% of the planned workouts you'll be in great shape.  And like Elaine said, training should be FUN!  I know I really miss it right now.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better and having a HEALTHY 2012!!!

2011-12-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3953511

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC

Hi Elaine and group,  hope you have room for another.

Name: Steve

Background: I started the lifestyle on 4/26/2011.  Before that I was on the couch at 44 years old and weighing 250 lbs.  Last year's goals were to just get moving and complete my first sprint triathlon (success on 9/17/2011).  I had a swimming and soccer background through high school and did mountain biking in college.  I have the most fun biking and need to improve running the most.

2012 Goals:

• Have FUN
  • Weight < 200 lbs.  (Currently 220)
  • Complete a OLY distance tri
  • Complete the MS Bike double century (over 2 days)
  • Complete a half marathon
  • Do some kind of exercise 6 days a week

Thanks

-Steve

2011-12-27 10:24 AM

User image

Austin, TX

Hey Elaine -

I would like to join your group if you have room.  I will get you some more details later this afternoon but for now, I am a 34 guy living in Austin, TX.  I started running a few years ago and just completed my 2nd full marathon.  I completed my first tri ever last summer (a sprint) on a borrowed bike that I rode for the first time the week before I spend a nice amount of time in the pool and am shooting to get a base and plan together to get me organized and continue on to Austin 70.3 in November 2012. 

Cheers,

Jon Medina

2011-12-27 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3953785

User image

Veteran
ratherbeswimming - 2011-12-26 7:19 AM
jimmy3993 - 2011-12-26 7:34 AM

Elaine -

I'd like to join a group this year. Just started tri last summer. Right now I am signed up for a marathon at the end of feb (gotta go run in a sec...), a HIM in June and am planning for another HIM in October. I will add the odd local sprint as well.

I raced a ton last year and this year I am going to prepare better for fewer races and see how  that goes.

thx!

Welcome, Jimmy!

I checked out your blog - I'm really interested in your training! We'd love to have you in our group! Which HIMs are you planning on doing?

I got an entry to the 70.3 in Mont Tremblant Canada for xmas. So I will be way up there in June. Given how hot it gets in south texas that will be a great trip. I will also take another shot at Austin 70.3 in October.

The CFE training is different. Not sure that it is better but it is different. What is most important for me is that I enjoy training that way and that it fits in with the rest of my life well. My family is used to having me around too. CFE to me is just substituting intensity for volume.

Right now I am getting ready for a marathon at the end of feb. I have had a tough time with races past 13.1 so I am doing more traditional long runs this time to see if it helps. I have a big drop off in relative performance between my 13.1 PR (1:45) and my 26.2 PR (4:20). My guess is that part of the reason for the drop off is that I just never went long in training. The 4:20 was done with NO runds longer than 13.1. just a ton of intensity. We will see how it goes.

In the mean time, you need to teach me how to swim. As soon as I sasw a group being led by someone who's tag line was ratherbeswimming, I knew I had found the right place.

2011-12-27 12:07 PM

User image

Hi Elaine! My name is Michelle and I would like to join your group.

Honestly I have been running for two years quite inconsistently. I bought a bike I have not gotten on once. As for swmming, well I went snorkeling once and a friend commented on me being so fast in the water, I thought well why not try a tri!

I have done a bunch of 5ks, a couple of 10ks and just  completed my first half marathon with the New Orleans Rock and Roll half scheduled for March. I am starting swimming lessons because basically I can back stroke to save my life, but I doubt I can back stroke my way through a triathalon!!

I have not signed up for a Tri in 2012 yet but I am thinking the Iron Girl here in Atlanta in May. I have no real weight loss goals because I want to stay above 150 for the Athena group.

2011-12-27 3:04 PM

Hello-This sounds like a great group to join to get ready for the 2012 season. I have been doing triathlons since 2006 but it wasn't until last year that I did a set number of them and really enjoyed myself. My issue is staying motivated to train in between races when I'd let other things take precedent. My first race will be in NC in early March so I need to get cracking. I could care less about winning but to finish strong the first race of the season would be awesome. I look forward to training along with all of you.
2011-12-27 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Elaine,

I'd love to join this group if I can.

Story:  Realized how unhealthy I was 4 years ago and started on the fitness track.  With the help of a trainer and swimming lots of laps I lost 50 lbs between 2008 and 2009.  Did my first tri in 2009 and it stuck!  I swam 2 years in H.S. ('84/'85) and ran cross country my senior year ('85), average at both.

Family:  Married, 2 kids, 12 and 15

Current Training:  Just trying to maintain a swim, run and bike somewhat, I've got a trainer, just haven't set it up yet, my basement's a mess, got to clean that up first.

2011 Races:  Ran my first Marathon, completed my first 70.3, completed my first OLY, then did 2 more, in that order hah!  Also ran a 15K and a HM in the fall.

2012 plans:  Will do the 70.3 again to get my revenge on the run course, am already signed up for an OLY in May, not sure about the rest.

Weight Loss:  Not paying attention to it, I figure if I keep improving my times I'm good to go.

Love this sport, love seeing others achieve their goals.

2011-12-27 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS

Hi Elaine, I'd like to join your group. I did my first sprint tri in Oct 2008 and continued to do a few sprints in 09 and 10. I moved to Kansas City this year (Feb 2011) and focused primarily on bike riding. For 2012, my goal is to compete in Ironman Kansas 70.3 which takes place in June. I swam year round in high school, and feel confident I can get back in shape for the swim portion. Running is my weakness. I have exercise induced asthma, but started seeing a doctor a few months ago and I think we've gotten everything under control. I've been the gym a few times and have left feeling motivated about my short runs on the treadmill.

Jen

2011-12-27 6:22 PM

New user

Toronto, Canada

Hi Elaine,

So I'm a newbie. I've been running regularly for the past 6 weeks. I'm doing the Couch to 5K program and go for spinning classes about once a week. Running and cycling are coming along just fine (maybe I haven't been there for long enough to experience the problems :-)

The problem is that I swim like a drowning monkey.

Seeing that you're a swimmer, I'm hoping you can give me some tips on becoming a better swimmer.

So if there's room in this group, I'd love to be a part of it! Ideally, I'd like to go for a sprint event in the summer/fall of 2012.

I'm a professional photographer so my schedules are pretty flexible and I can put in the time it takes. Just need the right motivation and guidance.

Thanks

Ro

Edited by rohitseth 2011-12-27 6:25 PM
2011-12-27 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Superior

Hello, My name is Terry, I've been reading through all the notes and hope that this mentoring group could be right for me.

I am 55 and tried my first Tri last year. DNF but not defeated. I think I over trained and ended up with tendonitits is both shoulders and could not complete the swim. Then to add insult to injury I went waterskiing the next week and ruptured a disc in my back. I am currently just completing my physical therapy and as soon as the Doc's approve I plan to start training again. Not sure what the swim will be but defintely plan on looking into a duathalon or two. I was happy with my weight pre injury of 130lbs, currently up to 150 at 5'5 and feel like a tub. I've looked at some of the programs and plan to start next week when I get the go ahead.

2011-12-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3954831

User image

Veteran
jenks
You have a great advantage now if you have a bike trailer.   I pulled my kiddos and gained more in a few months than in years I did not pull them.   It is great time with the family too.   
2011-12-28 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran

I was trying to consolidate my friends list and figure I post the names on everyone in the group to reduce duplicate work.

HandyhammerDave

TKR2770Terry

ROhitseth Ro

Crazylife99Jen

Reesealan

Metcalf34Phillip

Spar

Jimmy3993

Reecespieces

KsidesinKatie

Kerryeve

RamieddEddie R

Jmhpsu93Mike

SschaarSteve

Runlikeagrrl

RatherbeswimmingElaine

2011-12-28 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran

I was looking at my training log this morning and was happy and depressed at the same time. I realized I ran over 40 miles this month. That may not be much for a lot of people, but for me, that is a huge accomplishment. I have literally hated running for as long as I can remember. At the same time, I can see too many holes in my training calendar for the month. I realize it is december, but I was hoping to get in the swing of things this month. The other issue is that we are going on vacation to the cayman islands next week thus making it difficult for me to get in sync. 

Going to try and make a spin class at the rec center tonight and see if I can kick start my mind... Hope everyone is making strides towards their 2012 goals.

2011-12-28 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3954972

User image

Pro
sschaar - 2011-12-27 9:57 AM

Hi Elaine and group,  hope you have room for another.

Name: Steve

Background: I started the lifestyle on 4/26/2011.  Before that I was on the couch at 44 years old and weighing 250 lbs.  Last year's goals were to just get moving and complete my first sprint triathlon (success on 9/17/2011).  I had a swimming and soccer background through high school and did mountain biking in college.  I have the most fun biking and need to improve running the most.

2012 Goals:

• Have FUN
  • Weight < 200 lbs.  (Currently 220)
  • Complete a OLY distance tri
  • Complete the MS Bike double century (over 2 days)
  • Complete a half marathon
  • Do some kind of exercise 6 days a week

Thanks

-Steve

Welcome, Steve! We've got room for you

I like your goals for 2012. Very fun, and definitely achievable. You're in the right place!

Is anything on the schedule yet, or are you still deciding? How's your winter training going?

2011-12-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3955176

User image

Pro
ATX77 - 2011-12-27 11:24 AM

Hey Elaine -

I would like to join your group if you have room.  I will get you some more details later this afternoon but for now, I am a 34 guy living in Austin, TX.  I started running a few years ago and just completed my 2nd full marathon.  I completed my first tri ever last summer (a sprint) on a borrowed bike that I rode for the first time the week before I spend a nice amount of time in the pool and am shooting to get a base and plan together to get me organized and continue on to Austin 70.3 in November 2012. 

Cheers,

Jon Medina

Hi Jon! Austin was my first 70.3 - it's a great race!! Sounds like your running is great, but you need to work on that biking have you gotten your own bike yet?

What would you like your base training plan to look like? Structured? Loose with mileage/yardage goals?

2011-12-28 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3955480

User image

Pro
Mission2be - 2011-12-27 1:07 PM

Hi Elaine! My name is Michelle and I would like to join your group.

Honestly I have been running for two years quite inconsistently. I bought a bike I have not gotten on once. As for swmming, well I went snorkeling once and a friend commented on me being so fast in the water, I thought well why not try a tri!

I have done a bunch of 5ks, a couple of 10ks and just  completed my first half marathon with the New Orleans Rock and Roll half scheduled for March. I am starting swimming lessons because basically I can back stroke to save my life, but I doubt I can back stroke my way through a triathalon!!

I have not signed up for a Tri in 2012 yet but I am thinking the Iron Girl here in Atlanta in May. I have no real weight loss goals because I want to stay above 150 for the Athena group.

Michelle - swim lessons are a GREAT place to start. You've got plenty of time to train properly for Iron Girl in May! Confidence in your backstroke will also help if you get into a really congested swim. 

With your first half marathon scheduled, your focus should be mainly on running, but don't neglect your swimming and biking! Just make sure those workouts don't interfere with your running too much. 

Try to get out on your bike this weekend, even if it's just a quick ride around the block!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Elaine's Awesome Start to 2012 Group! - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 22