LA Children's Hospital
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 58s
Overall Rank = N/A/2000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

D and I went to bed at 10p and got a good night's sleep. We got up very early (5am) and had a harvest power bar and some dried fruit trail mix. Drank a L of water and loaded up the bike. Some nerves since this was going to be my first large group ride and the longest distance I have done aside from the
Bike
  • 2h 30m 58s
  • 35.8 miles
  • 14.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Well the start was less than positive...I was cut off and crashed while trying to clip in before I even crossed the start line. Left me with a nice gash from my 3rd chainring on the back of my calf...luckily I didn't notice it due to my embarassment. Anyway...clipped in and got going through Elysian Park. 1st 2 miles were all down hill and the group spread out quite a bit, I was right in the MOP. The ride through downtown was great until I hit a HOLE...not a pothole...a HOLE while going downhill (25+mph) on Grand Ave. My fork creaked badly, handlebars came loose, feet came unclipped, 2nd waterbottle went flying...but I stayed upright and managed to avoid a crash that would have surely put me in the hospital. I stopped at the bottom of the hill, used my trusty multi-tool to fix my handlebars, gave the bike a once over, and I was off again. Moved back to the MOP as we went through downtown, Exposition park, and some of the "urban jungle." Felt great on the mini-climbs back through downtown and into Hollywood. The rest stop at the 22.5 mile mark was great as they had plenty of restrooms, fruit, water, etc. Climbing up Barham after the reststop was a challenge but I was able to move towards the front of the pack since everyone had started at the same time. Going down the back side of Barham was awesome and a little scary too...I was going over 35mph and there were some people passing me! Griffith Park was beautiful and everyone stayed in a big peleton.
When we got to the final climb up Stadium Way...the wheels came off the bus...well actually the chain off of the bike. It was about a 1 mile climb from Riverside Dr. to the police academy. After about .6 miles I was working my a$$ off and then all of a sudden I downshifted and my chain came off. I pulled over, stopped, and reset my chain. Unfortunately I am not good enough to clip in while going uphill and I could not get any momentum so I had to walk my bike to the top. I got my chain right and was able to ride the last 1/2 mile to the finish but I was in the BOP and really irritated. I was pretty awesome to have Diana and my parents there the cheer me to the finish though...
Overall I was happy that I finished...had to adjust fluid due to losing the water bottle and my bike will need a little tune up and TLC this week.
What would you do differently?:

Not crash BEFORE the start line!!!
Not ride right over HOLES in the road!!!
Stick with what is working while climbing and dont shift gears!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Racked my bike, got some first aid for the cut on my calf and ankle (didn't see that one), GREAT BBQ lunch for all of the riders as well as a post race party, expo, etc.

Did some stretching before getting back into the car...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing...aside from mechanical (body and bike) difficulties.

Event comments:

LAPD rolling closures were awesome and having LAPD officers riding along with us to keep the group safe was great too...
This will surely be a yearly event!!!!

Last updated: 2006-05-01 12:00 AM
Biking
02:30:58 | 35.8 miles | 14.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2000
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Tour of all of LA...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-02 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: City Of Angels - Tour of LA

2006-05-02 5:53 PM
in reply to: #412813

User image

Subject: RE: City Of Angels - Tour of LA

Good job, saw that ride on the news, hadn't even heard of it.

Crashing sucks though

2006-05-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: #412813

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: RE: City Of Angels - Tour of LA
Yeah...it could have been worse though...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City Of Angels - Tour of LA Rss Feed