BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-12-28 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3944868

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France
Subject: RE: Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - OPEN
I had planned a swim this morning, but so tired after the holidays.. coming down with something. I am obliged to bike 30k to work tomorrow and 30 k back.. Grade 4 hill at either end. Swim 3k saturday, and health permitting, long ride Sunday, maybe 100k if I can. :-).  I don't normally use the log here, but will do from now on. :-) December has been a very low month training...

2011-12-28 1:09 PM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA

Finally had time to sit down and type it out so here it is!

Name: Lauren

Story:  Starting at about the age of 4, I swam competitively through High school.  Before high school, I got burned out and stopped for two years then swam in High School as PE.  I always preferred the distance swimming (500yards was the most in a meet)  I got to where I was swimming a 500 easily in around 7min.  After High School, College and then work life took over.  I was nowhere in the shape I should be in. (and still am not)  I have never been the type of person to be able to just "Get in Shape"  it doesnt work for me.  So I signed up for a Tri and I'll be darned if I will make a fool of myself so I got in shape.  Had a great time and signed up for more!

Family Status:  Just me and My Basenji "Jane" but I have a great, supportive extended family

Current Training: I have been off since around September (Since my last tri on 9-11-11) due to work, heat and injuries (I have re-occuring pinched nerves in 1 in my upper back and 1 lower back from past).  Just got back into riding and will get on training Jan2 (18 weeks from my first planned Tri this year!)

2011 Races: 2011 was my first year in Triathlon.  "My First Triathlon" in July, Surf Town Tri in August, TriRock San Diego in September and SheRox in October.  All Sprint Races

2012 Planned Races: Wildflower in May (not sure distance, maybe try the double: Sprint and Olympic?!?!)  Vineman Half Aquabike in July, TriRock San Diego Olympic.  Maybe throw in a sprint or two in the middle!

Weightloss:  Have struggled with it my whole life, especially runs in the family.  I know it is a big part of the reasons I have issues with my back.  Hopefully this year I can get below 200.  All I really want is to be in good shape.  I am not built like most females I know so it makes it difficult to estimate what my weight should be so weight is just a number to me.  I want to be comfortable in my own skin.

Other: Because of work and other things, training is going to be difficult this year, but I am going to give it my best and try to stick to my plan.  Unlike most people, I live in the middle of the desert, so it is very difficult to train from June through the end of September as temperatures stay above 100 and very often reach above 120 deg.  That is when I go inside and get on the trainer (just purchased two months ago!)  Swimming becomes my escape, but running and biking suffers.  Last year came dangerously close to full heat stroke on a ride so I am going to have to plan a little better this year!

I am looking forward to having the support this group can bring and hopefully set some new PRs! 

2011-12-28 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I think I have everyone added as a friend, but if I have missed anyone I will get it done soon. I got up and hit the bike on the trainer for 15 minutes. I know it sounds like nothing, but I have been battling a tight calf that is really bad on the bike. I followed up with a 5 minute run and then headed the 1.5 miles to work on foot. I jogged mosst of the way there (down hill) and walked home at noon. Its a start after not doing much since Thanksgiving
2011-12-28 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT

sorry double post

Edited by Artist 2011-12-28 2:22 PM
2011-12-28 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3953676

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Pitch - 2011-12-25 11:13 PM

Dad of 5 daughters ages 13years to 17 months. Done trying for boys and WILL NOT have 6 daughters for sure!

Marc Pitcher

Ha ha, my husband gave up the son dream after we had 3 daughters.  Our oldest daughter had our first grandchild and we were all so relieved it was a Boy! 

2011-12-28 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: Couch potato for my entire adult life until about 2 yrs ago.  Eating chips watching 2006 IM championship, (for the 3rd or 4th time that summer), and Sister Madonna seemed to run by my t.v. screen and said why aren't YOU doing this?  I tossed my chips aside and said, "Alright Sister Madonna...I'll do it!"  Geez.  So my first year was to see if I could the 2nd was to improve...now?  Its just what I do.  I too hated running, could not swim and did not even own a bike until about 3 weeks before my first tri.  

Family Status: Married to Mr. Supportive, (he gets this and helps me in many ways) for over 27 years.  We have 3 adult daughters, spread coast to coast, and on 12/26/11 we will officially be empty nesters.  We have a punk and half of a grandson that I do believe is the cutest kid in the world of course.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started the off season with a strength training program which has made a big change in physique.  For the past two months I have been grinding out the miles and did not log much.  Will set up a training program for an OLY .  Santa brought a trainer for me and that it going to help soooo much.  I work over 70 miles from home so time is a limiter...but my biggest limiter is when I am a mental midget, as my middlest sometimes reminds me not to be.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Several sprints, Dust Devil, Napa, Donner Lake and my first OLy, the TriRock series in San Diego.  I made small improvements to my times from the previous year but not as big as I should have been made.  Out of my league in the San Diego TriRock but it was pretty cool.

2012 RACES: I will repeat the sprints and definitely the TriRock...last time I finished dead last and want to NOT do that again.  I want to be more prepared and better fueled.  

WEIGHT LOSS: I have lost over 75 pounds; none of it in the past two years, I actually weigh exactly what I weighed when I started "tri"ing.  However, I have gone down two sizes since doing triathlons. I guess a little something called muscle tone.  I have lost the 75 pounds over the years, weighing 235 at my heaviest and now 163.  I would like to get to 145 but not look like a sack of antlers, I want to be strong.

I am looking forward to a new season.  Spending Christmas day getting myself organized for the upcoming season, choosing a new training plan, setting new goals for the month of January, the year and selecting my races.  

Good luck to all!

2011-12-28 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3958412

SportzVision - 2011-12-28 1:47 PM

NAME: Cynthia

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Several sprints, Dust Devil, Napa, Donner Lake and my first OLy, the TriRock series in San Diego.  I made small improvements to my times from the previous year but not as big as I should have been made.  Out of my league in the San Diego TriRock but it was pretty cool.

2012 RACES: I will repeat the sprints and definitely the TriRock...last time I finished dead last and want to NOT do that again.  I want to be more prepared and better fueled.  

Good luck to all!

Cynthia,

Looking forward to meeting you at TriRock this year.  I did the sprint last year in the Athena Division and have entered this year the Olympic in my AG (Start a little sooner!)  See you there!  Loved that race except for the bike!

2011-12-28 9:22 PM

Hi Chris & group,I tried to sign up for a mentor group last year but they were all closed so this time I hope I have better luck!I am 38 years old, married and a mother of 3 (2, 5, and 7). I started Spinning after trying to lose baby weight with my 3rd child. Ihave always been active with jogging, soccer...life but decided to try something new and signed up for a sprint Tri in 2010 and fell in love! This seems to be my calling. I like the variety but tend to sometimes over do it. I had to slow down this year and take care of some overuse injuries and now want to find a way to pace myself in a preventative way and avoid burning out. I did my first olympic and a century ride this year. I am a horrible swimmer and would like to work on my biking speed. Would love to join you guys. Will keep fingers crossed! Jacquie - new Hampshire
2011-12-28 11:38 PM

Would love to join this group if still open. I am a 59 y/o female from Omaha, NE. I have lost 40 lbs and 40 more to go. In Nov 2010 joined a gym and work with trainer. Went 3-5 times week until June when I bumped to 6 days week. Trainer works on resistance and strength. Chronic back problems have plaqued me and I lost the entire month of feb and July to it. No problems since. I watched my firs t sprint in may and decided I wanted to do this. I have biked the last year and a half. I have not swam since high school and started in June. I have started to train in swimming and biking and build endurance for running. I have been on cross trainers and elliptical at mod to high resistance for 30-60 min at a 5-6 mph pace. Off season biking is a trainer and spinning. I need to work on hills more and trainers helping with this. I can go 20-24 mph at varying resistance, seated, flats, standing, hills etc. I can finally swim 40 25 yard laps all freestyle in 30 minutes. It is a relaxed pace but I feel it. I want to try total immersion swim and am self coaching to incorporate drills and techniques just this week. My goals- complete my first sprint tri in June . I need to continue work in all three areas and ease into joint bearing running. I train alone because my friends and family think I am crazy trying this so late in life. I say, I laugh in the face in of age........bring it. It would be great hearing and seeing how other newbies are doing and get advice from experienced individuals.
2011-12-28 11:47 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Hey Chris,

Hoping to join if there's still room!

Name: Brian

Background:  I swam on year round swim teams from the age of 6-18, played 4 years of water polo in high school then joined the Navy and became a Search and Rescue Swimmer ( I think my swimming background had something to do with that choice!!) After the birth of my daughter, I started sinking into the couch more than the swimming pool. I had gained wayyy too much weight and my body was starting to get upset with me.  Last year, my cousin completed the Ironman, Kona and that it what got me motivated to do the same. I can't let him be the only one in the family to complete an Ironman!  I have been training for almost 2 mos now and have lost 13 lbs so far.   Swimming is my strong point and I have no problems with the bike, it's the run that I have never come to enjoy.

Family: 37 years old, Married (3 years) One daugher (13) who is a year round swimmer.

2012 Races: 5k run Jan 22nd, Sprint Tri June 2nd, and whatever else sounds fun. Bay to Breakers is always a good one!

Health/Weightloss:  I am 6'2" and weigh 222.  I'm looking to get down sub 200 in before Christmas of next year.  I have always struggled with keeping the weight off my entire life (I love to eat!!) but my diet has drastically changed the last 3 mos and so far so good.

Edited by brenyer 2011-12-28 11:48 PM
2011-12-29 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

My name is Jeff (aka jeffnboise).  I'm 49, been dabbling in tris for a few years now.  Mostly a runner/cyclist (kinda suck at swimming).  I'd love to join the "group" if you'll have me.  Bio will follow.

thanks,  jeff

2011-12-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3958435

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
lmhutch86 - 2011-12-28 3:58 PM

Cynthia,

Looking forward to meeting you at TriRock this year.  I did the sprint last year in the Athena Division and have entered this year the Olympic in my AG (Start a little sooner!)  See you there!  Loved that race except for the bike!

OH my it will be so nice to "know" someone at the TriRock! The bike route was horrible...completely beat me up!  Spoke with a bike coach for one of the tri clubs in San Diego and she said it was the worst she had ever ridden. 

It was my first OLY and though I finished dead last, my husband reminds me that I did better than 26 people who DNF'd.  What is your age group if you do not mind me asking...mine is 45-50...well I am 47 so where ever that fits.  My intent is to be a lot faster than last year.  To make that happen I hit the weights this winter and have a do able but challenging plan for this year.  Also, fuel much better during the race...I did not have nearly enough fuel to get me through the entire race. 

Good Luck!

Cynthia

2011-12-29 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to Jacquie, dbahr, Brian & Jeff. That makes 18 of us in the group, so I'm going to close the group and we'll get started. <br><br>Regarding my workout yesterday, I'll be honest with you my intention was good, but my follow up was poor. Supposed to spend some time on the trainer inflicting some pain on myself. So I get a big "goose egg" in the training log. I hope to rectify that today. Can't go back and make up lost time, but hopefully I'll get a nice run in today.<br><br>Each of you give me one question you would like to have answered and we'll open a discussion on those topics. I will try to answer as best I can. Everyone feel free to comment on these, especially if you have some experience with the subject. I am by no means the end all expert.
2011-12-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3960407

SportzVision - 2011-12-29 11:55 AM

Cynthia,

OH my it will be so nice to "know" someone at the TriRock! The bike route was horrible...completely beat me up!  Spoke with a bike coach for one of the tri clubs in San Diego and she said it was the worst she had ever ridden. 

It was my first OLY and though I finished dead last, my husband reminds me that I did better than 26 people who DNF'd.  What is your age group if you do not mind me asking...mine is 45-50...well I am 47 so where ever that fits.  My intent is to be a lot faster than last year.  To make that happen I hit the weights this winter and have a do able but challenging plan for this year.  Also, fuel much better during the race...I did not have nearly enough fuel to get me through the entire race. 

Good Luck!

Cynthia

No Problem.  I just Turned 25 and will be 26 in September so will fall wherever that AG puts me in.  I didnt have that much of a problem with the bike, but I am used to riding out on country roads that are not that well maintained.  I just felt like every time I got in a good rhythm, I had to get out of aero or slow down for some reason (RR Tracks, Turn Around, Bridge, etc)  Oh well, I got 1/2 off registration for next year for putting up with it last year!

2011-12-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3959050

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
brenyer - 2011-12-28 11:47 PM

Hey Chris,

Hoping to join if there's still room!

Name: Brian

Background:  I swam on year round swim teams from the age of 6-18, played 4 years of water polo in high school then joined the Navy and became a Search and Rescue Swimmer ( I think my swimming background had something to do with that choice!!)

Were you an AW?  My husband retired as an AWC back in ...oh my awhile back late ninety's I'd say maybe early 2000.  He spent all his time at No Island HS-8 and then taught at HS10 before transfering to NAS Fallon at NSAWC.  He sure does miss those flying days!

Edited by SportzVision 2011-12-29 3:44 PM
2011-12-29 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3960639

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
lmhutch86 - 2011-12-29 3:25 PM
SportzVision - 2011-12-29 11:55 AM

Cynthia,

Good Luck!

Cynthia

No Problem.  I just Turned 25 and will be 26 in September so will fall wherever that AG puts me in.  I didnt have that much of a problem with the bike, but I am used to riding out on country roads that are not that well maintained.  I just felt like every time I got in a good rhythm, I had to get out of aero or slow down for some reason (RR Tracks, Turn Around, Bridge, etc)  Oh well, I got 1/2 off registration for next year for putting up with it last year!

Using my half off tonight too! 

2011-12-29 3:52 PM

User image

Tyler, Texas
Subject: RE: Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING!

Leaving to go visit an Athletic Center that has a pool.  I plan to start swim training next week. 

Ken

2011-12-29 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING!

January Goals 2012Tongue out

1. Follow plan (A lot of swimming on weekends; I do not have access to the pool after work)
  2. Log my food intake on BT
  3. Find a yoga class - had one but it got canceled
  4. Start the New Year off with a 5K race (actually done on New Year's eve but it will be my kick off event)
2011-12-29 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3958246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
SportzVision - 2011-12-28 3:38 PM
Pitch - 2011-12-25 11:13 PM

Dad of 5 daughters ages 13years to 17 months. Done trying for boys and WILL NOT have 6 daughters for sure!

Marc Pitcher

Ha ha, my husband gave up the son dream after we had 3 daughters.  Our oldest daughter had our first grandchild and we were all so relieved it was a Boy! 

My sister has 4 boys.   Her first grandchild was a girl.  I think she'll be spoiled.

2011-12-29 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3960677

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

What a small world!!! Yes I was an AW and on North Island, but I was attached to HC-85. I was a TAR if you know what that means.  I had a bunch of friends in HS-2 and possibly HS-8 but it's been so long I can't remember exactly.  That is so cool to have another Navy person here!!!

2011-12-29 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3961080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
brenyer - 2011-12-29 7:29 PM

What a small world!!! Yes I was an AW and on North Island, but I was attached to HC-85. I was a TAR if you know what that means.  I had a bunch of friends in HS-2 and possibly HS-8 but it's been so long I can't remember exactly.  That is so cool to have another Navy person here!!!

make that one more-I was an OT in the Navy back in the day. Stationed in Iceland and Centerville Beach Ca waaaay back

2011-12-29 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT

Heading to see a PT tomorrow for this calf issue. Hope this helps. My ortho thinks it might be compartment syndrome, but we will try the PT first. I have been dealing with this almost two years and its time to get some relief so I can really hit the training hard.

2011-12-30 3:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France

How much training do you guys do if you are sick. I hadn't ridden for a couple of weeks due to injury and I have caught a chest cold over the holidays. Yesterdays ride, was ruggedly awful. I had to stop ( which I did only the first time on a bike) a couple of times on the way home to get some strength back... I was whacked by the time I arrived. It felt I had ridden over a 100k, and not two journeys of 30k split by a working day... I slept 10 hours last night and today, I am in the wolly head cold syndrome.. I couldn't force myself out of the bed to swim.. 

But given my condition and my goal of Ironman in June ( injured knee at present ) what would you guys do around training? 

2011-12-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3961399

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Colliewarrior - 2011-12-30 2:57 AM

How much training do you guys do if you are sick. I hadn't ridden for a couple of weeks due to injury and I have caught a chest cold over the holidays. Yesterdays ride, was ruggedly awful. I had to stop ( which I did only the first time on a bike) a couple of times on the way home to get some strength back... I was whacked by the time I arrived. It felt I had ridden over a 100k, and not two journeys of 30k split by a working day... I slept 10 hours last night and today, I am in the wolly head cold syndrome.. I couldn't force myself out of the bed to swim.. 

But given my condition and my goal of Ironman in June ( injured knee at present ) what would you guys do around training? 

Give yourself a day or two for the cold. Listen to your body or you will set yourself back. Walk and do light weight training and stretching to keep active. When you are feeling better begin to ramp up , but not all at once.
2011-12-30 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Collie, I generally try and train through a cold if I feel at all able to do so. At the same time, I give myself permission to miss a day or two to recover. I definitely don't want to rain on your parade, but I feel the need to ask: why the jump from sprints to IM this quickly? It is a huge stress to the body. You are already dealing with knee and disc injuries on top of the increase in distance that is a gigantic leap from where you've been competing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING! Rss Feed  

of 25