United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

I staid at my brother's place Saturday night in White Rock, so it was a bonus to have your brother make you a great pre-race breakfast. I ate oatmeal with granola added to it and a couple of pieces of toast. A cup of coffe and water and I was ready to go. My brother lives about two minutes from the race so he dropped me off about 7:15 so I could set up my transition area. The Bike Doc from Santa Fe was there and made some great adjustments to my bike and he got real excited when I gave $10 bucks.
Event warmup:

I set up my trasition area and made sure I went through what I was going to do. I forgot my towel, so my bag and the ground worked out ok. I warmed up by joggin around the parkeing lot after the Little Boy race started. I then meet up with Pilgrim and TriCody and talked with them and the amount of races they are doing in Texas. They tried to talk me into competing in 8 races for the series point standings. Anyway, we made our way to the start and we were off. Not as many people as I thought there would be too.
Run
  • 49m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I could've gone out a little faster, but I knew there was a long bike ride ahead of me. The whole psychological thing about not wanting to bonk. I've BONKED hard before, so it's always in the back of my head.
What would you do differently?:

I think I would've pushed myself a little bit more, but oh well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Things seemed to go well for me in the transition because I didn't have trouble with my shoes and I was able to brink my gel with no problems. The race officals were good in letting me know where to mount and dismount.

I would have liked to have my towel to stand on.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 31s
  • 24.12 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was very hilly and for some reason my calves were cramping during the steepest climb. Soon after I did another gel and the cramping went away.

I would have drank more liquids.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

This tansition went really well and before I knew it I was running out for the last loop.

I need to get quick ties for my shoes.
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt better on this run than the first cardio wise, but I found myself running the whole loop by myself! That kind of sucked because if someone was there pushing me I could've decreased my time.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I saw my brother at the finish line and we waited or a friend of ours that lives up there too. Then I went to the transition area to fillout the survey to get the free running hat. I drank my Endurox and I was feeling pretty good and not to sore yet. I saw Pilgrim and his groin/leg was hurting him pretty bad, but I think that was the only way I had a chance to beat him in a race. I saw CodyTri next and he had a good race too. Those guys great to talk to about how a lot of these races work and strategies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still getting used to the whole transition thing and with time I think I'll be able to push myself more without worrying about bonking.

Event comments:

Great race and very challenging!

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:37 | 06.21 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The first run was two loops, which I was able to drive the night before. The first mile was down hill and then it went up hill for a little over a mile, then back down hill for the next loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:25:31 | 24.12 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Course was an out and back with some KILLER hills on the out part. It took me 50 minutes to the turn around and I was able to Fly back. I must have been going pretty fast because nobody cme close to passing me and I passed 5 people.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: One loop from the first run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-02 9:49 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Atomic Man

2006-05-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: #413037

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Atomic Man
I just want to apologize for the poor grammar in my race report. 
2006-05-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: #413315

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Apology accepted.

Sounds like a tough course. Well done. 

2006-05-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: #413037

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job with those hills. I wish I could of done the race with you...next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Rss Feed