General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new to boulder! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-21 6:45 PM

Veteran
Subject: new to boulder!

hey all!!!

my name is tom and it looks like i will be moving to boulder the beginning of march! i really amped to move out there, but im a little hesitant becuase i don't know anyone and i don't know the are other than what i have experienced 10 years ago, but thats half the fun right?

i have a place to stay(my unlce) but i need a little help finding a job. i feel weird asking if anyone knows of a place i could apply or and connections you people had would be great. i know im just a random person but i am a hard worker. as you can see i am interested in healthy living and triathlons. my uncle is talking to boulder running and im going to talk to my friend whos cousin owns boulder cycle sport. but any other suggestions would be great. 

just as in any sport once your in your in, its a family even if you are competitive with each other! i have experience the greatness of all the triathletes in my area (cape cod) and cant wait to experience that area. i hopefully will make my permeant home there if i like it !..so feel free to pm me or just post hear. if you don't have anything to say on jobs you can post anyways i like hearing from people and want to know what it is like!

thanks,

thomas 

2011-12-22 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3948866

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: new to boulder!

Thomas, I'm going to be honest here. Your writing is horrible and I would never recommend you to anyone based simply on that.  If you cannot bother to use the shift button or spell check I can only surmise that you're too lazy to do other things.  The Colorado athletic/outdoor industry is extremely competitive for employment and those employers can and do take these things into account when making hiring decisions. It's not enough to love a sport.  I am extremely close with my running store's managers and employees and know for a fact that they would not hire you if they saw this post and you never know who is reading this. Posting on the internet is never as anonymous as you might think so keep that in mind.  

I know this is harsh but I would be remiss to not tell you.  I have, in the past, tried to get into the industry, am educated, write well and speak well but the closest I've come is coaching ski racing.  Now I chose to earn a living in a good job but not in the industry and just enjoy sports in my free time.  

2011-12-22 7:09 AM

Veteran
thank you for your two cents- i will say you don't know my back ground in disabilities, and neither will i share them because simple i don't need to share them. im not going to write a big fancy letter back being nasty because im not that kind of person. so please who ever posts next please have positive stuff to say because frankly i don't like negative people. i have a dream and i will stick to it and thats how my life has been and will be......and don't worry boulder my view of you has not changed. 
2011-12-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3949283

User image

Lafayette, CO

You're right, I don't know what disabilities you might have but if you're able to type I suspect you're able to at least capitalize properly.  Constructive criticism isn't negative, it's honest and helpful if you take it in the spirit in which it's intended.  I've gotten constructive criticism in my life which is sometimes a hard pill to swallow but I have learned from it and been made better for it. 

2011-12-22 5:40 PM

Veteran

well when your constantly looked down and criticized about your spelling and capitalization from the time you were able to write to just know...its gets old quick...its not about my spelling or whatever. its about the point i'm trying to express. i hate when people don't even see the big picture im trying to get to when all they see is the crappy writing. im simple just looking for suggestions of places to look for a job.. and if people want to take how i spell on a public forum where i dont really care about my spelling cool-judge the book by the cover. its not a actual application or resume...which i indeed get a second and third look over by other people.

and sorry if i mis-spelled,switched words,did not capitalize or put the right punctuation in my post!

2011-12-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3950541

User image

While this thread is straying a little off topic for a tri group, COSkiGirl was just offering some constructive criticism.  It was you who asked for help finding a job, and her comments are probably the best advice you are going to get when it comes to finding work.  

Before I even read COSkiGirl's reply, I was thinking there was no way I would ever recommend you for a job.  It's not just your spelling and your grammar, but also missing words, incorrect words, etc.

People judge you by the way you speak and the way you write.  Please take her comments as she intended.  Not as a put down, but as helpful feedback.

Yes, this is just a forum, but potential employers can, and will, check you out online.  As COSkiGirl mentioned, the outdoor industry in Colorado is extremely competitive and if you come across as uneducated, you will not land a job.

2011-12-22 6:34 PM

Veteran
ok..well im done with this. ill do it my self i don't need every other person chiming in on how i suck. thank you all. if i knew how to delete my post i would.
2011-12-22 6:58 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

Thank you for your input Robert.  

Mr.rogersisinthehoood, your application and resume are not in a vacuum. 32% of employers have looked at forums to assess a potential employee's fitness for a job.  

http://www.theworkbuzz.com/find-the-job/career-advice/online-reputation/

I wish you good luck.  I don't wish you harm in any way but I'm sorry that I can't have a lot of hope for your job hunt.  Perhaps you do come off very differently in person and will land your dream job and if that is the case, more power to you.  But, if you arrive here and find it difficult to find a job maybe you'll then think about this kind of posting, and your reaction to it, and reconsider.  

2011-12-22 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
We have strayed enough off topic. Any other posts that wander will be deleted.

Welcome to Colorado Tom - it is a great place to live. Good luck with your move and job hunt!

Josh
(Colorado forum moderator)
2011-12-22 8:56 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
My apologies.  
2011-12-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3950811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

COSkiGirl - 2011-12-22 7:56 PM My apologies.  

Wow.  While constructive criticism is helpful and your comments were relatively accurate, a little tact goes a long way.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new to boulder! Rss Feed