General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fell off the wagon... need a decent kick in the behind! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-26 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Subject: fell off the wagon... need a decent kick in the behind!

Hey guys, 

haven't been here in forever. Haven't worked out in forever either. A couple of years ago I started losing weight. Started with over 260lbs and ended up feeling like a million bucks around 150lbs. I started comepting in triathlons and loved it. It didn't take long until all my life was just about triathlons and working out. 

And then I grew tired of it. I grew tired of watching what I eat every second of the day. I grew tired of working out all the time while my fellow students hit the bars and drank way too much beer. I grew tired of being alone and having no social life at all because I got up at 4:30 every morning to have a decent workout before I go to school. And then another one when I got back from school in the evening. 

I was looking for excuses to stop and then there it was: I messed up me knee when I went snowboarding. First I ignored it - then it was so bad that I really had to take a break. My body - and my mind - had quit on me!

My knee's been fine for 1,5 years now. Tomorrow I'll start working out again. Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Excuses, excuses, excuses. And the worst thing about it: I KNOW that I'm just making up excuses. 

Of course I've put on a lot of weight during those two lazy years. And I'm not happy about it. I hate myself for it. I hate my body, I hate myself and I keep on dreaming about those times when I was truely happy. 

Now I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself and eating because I'm so sad because I'm fat and out of shape (again). So here I am and I want to take my life into my own hands. I am responsible for myself. So today I'll start the couch to 5k training plan (again). 

Anyone want to join me? Together you're less alone and that really makes things easier at times. 

~Kathie

2011-12-26 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3953874

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: fell off the wagon... need a decent kick in the behind!
My story is nearly identical to yours. You have a lot of company. We can do it!!!
2011-12-26 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Forget about the past. You cannot change that. Stop beating yourself up about it.

You are ready and motivated. Start working out and you will get back in the habit and you will feel great.

good luck.

2011-12-26 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
I went running after this post. I actually did it. After a long day of work. It was a little bit weird. When I got my running tights out of the closet (and yay - those things strech pretty good and still fit!!! hehe) I got nervous! Like really nervous. I didn't know why. Then I went out there and decided to walk for at least 10 mins before starting to run. I was so anxious to start running. I couldn't wait. It was a beautiful night. Cold and crisp and no clouds. Then I did my planned 3 mins of running and then 7 mins walk. Three times. Even though 3 minutes of running - or let's rather call it jogging - isn't much at all. It's not what I was used to do. But it was a fresh start. I stuck to the plan and that was a great feeling. When I got home I had this big stupid smile on my face. And while I was out there I remembered how happy I was when I still used to work out. I just have to make sure not to overdo it again. But I guess that's just me - what ever I do it has to be extreme. Either binge eating or losing weight like a maniac. Either being lazy or working like a maniac. I just have to find the balance. I'm sure some day I will. No clue when though
2011-12-26 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

That is awesome. The first step is always the hardest.

You will do great.

2011-12-26 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Congratulations Kathie.  Keep us posted on your achievements as you get back in shape.

You should look at the Mentor Groups and join one for support and guidance.  I believe the Yanti and Amy group is still open and Yanti seems to be a really good supportive type - and likes to keep it fun as well.

Oops!  I just had a look and its Yanti and Lynn.  There are other groups I just thought they might suit you well - a guess on my part.

Edited by wenceslasz 2011-12-26 9:13 PM

2011-12-27 2:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Thank you! I already joined the bigDH's mentor group.

So I was worried to be hurting this morning but I feel just fine. I can feel that I've done something though. But it's no pain
2011-12-27 10:29 AM

User image

New user

New Brunswick
A familiar story..good for you for getting back at it! I am in the same boat...I used to race, did three IM's and was fit a as a fiddle. The, life happened. Marriage, two kids, demanding job and everything in my life fitness wise just fell apart. No excuses, I let it happen. 8 years later, here I am almost 40. BUT, today I finally dragged my butt to the gym for some weights and just signed up for the 70.3 in Rhode Island July 2012. Man, I have a lot of work to do...Laughing Looking forward to staying in touch with others here at BT on the same path back to fitness and well being...cheers!
2011-12-28 1:38 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Another person with a similiar story here. I've just started run/walking again this past week. Good luck!
2011-12-28 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
I checked out the local gym today. Haven't been to a gym in years. And guess what - as I worked out I realized how much I had missed it without even knowing. I'm pretty pleased with myself today. No food slips what so ever. But now I'm sitting on the couch watching TV (it's 9:40 PM over here) and I start freaking out. Food commercials all the time. Pizza, burgers, chocolate. All my weaknesses. I feel antsy to eat something bad. Guess I should go to bed and sleep it off. I'm just not tired at all. Need to stop watching TV. AHHHHHH

How about you guys? Do food commercials affect you?
2011-12-29 1:33 AM
in reply to: #3954282

User image

Master
kathie - 2011-12-26 8:26 PM
I went running after this post. I actually did it. After a long day of work. It was a little bit weird. When I got my running tights out of the closet (and yay - those things strech pretty good and still fit!!! hehe) I got nervous! Like really nervous. I didn't know why. Then I went out there and decided to walk for at least 10 mins before starting to run. I was so anxious to start running. I couldn't wait. It was a beautiful night. Cold and crisp and no clouds. Then I did my planned 3 mins of running and then 7 mins walk. Three times. Even though 3 minutes of running - or let's rather call it jogging - isn't much at all. It's not what I was used to do. But it was a fresh start. I stuck to the plan and that was a great feeling. When I got home I had this big stupid smile on my face. And while I was out there I remembered how happy I was when I still used to work out. I just have to make sure not to overdo it again. But I guess that's just me - what ever I do it has to be extreme. Either binge eating or losing weight like a maniac. Either being lazy or working like a maniac. I just have to find the balance. I'm sure some day I will. No clue when though

Yay! Getting out there is half the battle. I've actually been at this very place several times in my life. Three pregnancies and a few injuries. Each time I'm nervous about getting going again. Taking it slowly is certainly the best way to go. Listen to your body. A little bit at a time so you don't overwhelm yourself. Make it a pleasant experience, something to look forward to every session!

Now get out there again for a lovely workout! Strengthen those limbs! Enjoy your environment!

2011-12-29 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3958255

Veteran
Ohio

kathie - 2011-12-28 3:41 PM I checked out the local gym today. Haven't been to a gym in years. And guess what - as I worked out I realized how much I had missed it without even knowing. I'm pretty pleased with myself today. No food slips what so ever. But now I'm sitting on the couch watching TV (it's 9:40 PM over here) and I start freaking out. Food commercials all the time. Pizza, burgers, chocolate. All my weaknesses. I feel antsy to eat something bad. Guess I should go to bed and sleep it off. I'm just not tired at all. Need to stop watching TV. AHHHHHH How about you guys? Do food commercials affect you?

Yea, watching TV in the evening is a real diet killer for me.  I try to avoid it as much as possible.  I plan other activities, including workouts in the evenings so I keep myself occupied.

Edited by buck1400 2011-12-29 1:51 PM
2011-12-29 7:41 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

kathie - 2011-12-28 12:41 PM I checked out the local gym today. Haven't been to a gym in years. And guess what - as I worked out I realized how much I had missed it without even knowing. I'm pretty pleased with myself today. No food slips what so ever. But now I'm sitting on the couch watching TV (it's 9:40 PM over here) and I start freaking out. Food commercials all the time. Pizza, burgers, chocolate. All my weaknesses. I feel antsy to eat something bad. Guess I should go to bed and sleep it off. I'm just not tired at all. Need to stop watching TV. AHHHHHH How about you guys? Do food commercials affect you?

I would say that the food commercials use to affect me.  I'd see something new and I'd be like, oh, I have to try that.  But what helped me the most was I simply made a choice to stop eating packaged processed foods.  I keep my foods simple, and homemade.  If I want muffins I have to make them.  If I want cookies I have to make them.  I find homemade is higher quality and more satisfying and therefore I can eat less and be happy.  When eating store bought cookies it just never satisfies me and I continue to look for something else.  And I get to control the quality and leave out all the additional items that just shouldn't be there.  I really started with bread.  Look up a recipe to make homemade bread or wraps and then go read the ingredients on the ones in stores.  It is when I really started to pay attention to the actual ingredients did my habits change.

2011-12-30 12:59 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

kathie - 2011-12-28 2:41 PM I checked out the local gym today. Haven't been to a gym in years. And guess what - as I worked out I realized how much I had missed it without even knowing. I'm pretty pleased with myself today. No food slips what so ever. But now I'm sitting on the couch watching TV (it's 9:40 PM over here) and I start freaking out. Food commercials all the time. Pizza, burgers, chocolate. All my weaknesses. I feel antsy to eat something bad. Guess I should go to bed and sleep it off. I'm just not tired at all. Need to stop watching TV. AHHHHHH How about you guys? Do food commercials affect you?

Yep. The evenings are dangerous for me. It's my only time to relax and I'm someone who used to dealing with stress by eating, so my first impluse is to eat in order to relax/feel less stressed. Like others have said, I try to 1. find something else to do like call a friend, walk the dog, etc. and 2. not keep any junk food/trigger foods in my house. Also, I don't watch Food Network anymore

2011-12-30 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan

Kathie,

I'm right there with you...  I'm jumping back on the wagon too after an extended time away.  Embarassed  (and some unwanted extra weight as well)

I'm putting you on my friends list so I can check in on you and I hope you'll do the some for me, as I've noticed a lot of my past BT friends logs are now like ghost towns. Frown

We can do this.

-Erin

2011-12-30 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Erin,

I added you too!! Gosh I so second what you write in your profile. I really have the felling right now we're in exactly the same wagon

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fell off the wagon... need a decent kick in the behind! Rss Feed