General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Publix Georgia Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-29 2:13 PM

User image

Subject: Publix Georgia Marathon : Official Thread
Looks like I am stepping up to the marathon plate again after imploding on my first and only 4 yrs ago.

Can anyone tell me a little bit about this course? I know there are hills but any breakdown on how to run this thing and what to expect would be great. The website said pace groups start at 3:30. Is this right? I would assume they would have some faster ones.

Lastly...we're staying at the Marriott downtown...is this within walking distance to race start and finish? Looking forward to running another one!!

2011-12-29 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3960465

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Publix Georgia Marathon : Official Thread

jtopham1 - 2011-12-29 3:13 PM Looks like I am stepping up to the marathon plate again after imploding on my first and only 4 yrs ago. Can anyone tell me a little bit about this course? I know there are hills but any breakdown on how to run this thing and what to expect would be great. The website said pace groups start at 3:30. Is this right? I would assume they would have some faster ones. Lastly...we're staying at the Marriott downtown...is this within walking distance to race start and finish? Looking forward to running another one!!

First, The Atlanta Marriot Downtown is only a block or two from the start.  It should be perfect.

The course is congested for the first 7ish miles, but then the halfers turn off.  I don't recall much about these miles. 

After that there is a really good hill after you go around a park.  I believe it's at 8.5 miles.  A lot of people push too hard on this hill and looked spent at the top.

Druid Hills is very tough.  It's about mile 16 - 20.  Very hilly.

The climb out of Piedmont Park (mile 22.5) is also very tough.  A lot of people end up walking this part.

It's definitely a tough course and you need to pace smart.

Natnegsplit can probably give you more details.  What is your goal time?

2011-12-29 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
2011-12-29 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3960645

User image

Brown Dog,

Thank you for the info! I saw the course map, but it never does the course justice. My goal time was 3:20 with a stretch goal of sub 3:15 if the stars aligned. I have a half pr of 1:33 on a hilly course which my sister says is comparable to this half...she has done the Georgia Half 3 or 4 times. McMillan puts my half pr at 3:17 for a Mary and it was coming off an injury. I was also seeing how the training goes to adjust pacing.

I wanted a challenging marathon and it sounds like I picked one!

Thanks again!
2011-12-29 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

Hey, this is a tough course. Personally I think it is the second hardest road marathon course I have run--first is the old Atlanta thanksgiving race.

This will be my 6th year running it and I no longer shoot for a time goal. My pr on the course is 3:29 but I've run : 3:44, 3:38, 3:29, 3:41 and 3:55 on it. The 3:55 was the most fun. 3:44 was a med tent visit due to heat exhaustion.

Browndog is accurate in his assesment. The first 7 or so miles are unnoticable. 8-10 is where you can burn your match but you won't know it until you leave Piedmont park around 22 ish.  And then it will be too late because you will be among the throngs in the death march. 16-20 is rollers. I love this section and it is my favorite part of the course. Most do not share in my opinion on that though. My least favorit parts are 11-13 (boring strecth along decatur/railroad) and 23.5-25 part through Tech. Concrete jungle. Last mile is always okay for me since it is almost over then.

Weather will be your biggest deal breaker. The course is pretty unforgiving anyway and with anything less than prefect weather it can be pretty miserable if you go out too hard and it is warm/humid. Last few years though weather has been nice.

I have a blog with a race report from each year. You'll have to search the archives though. And the course was different for the first 3 years than it is now. 2011 and 10 are the only times the course was the same.  Some recaps may be in April. I am not very profiecient with my recaps.

Link: [email protected]

2011-12-29 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3961065

User image

More great info! Thank you!

I'll probably back off through miles 8-10 and try to play conservative through the rollers. Hopefully by the time I hit 22 I can burn the rest of my matches then . Assuming I still have any. My training is going so much better already this time around than my first. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what pace to start out at, but if I shoot for 3:20 it sounds like a negative split will be tough on this course. I am following the advance plan from Higdon and trying to hit my paces based on a 7:15 Mary pace off of Macmillan and so far things have been spot on, but I'm scared I couldn't hold 7:15 for the whole thing and blow up. This is not a course you can do that. Hopefully the next couple months of training I can hone that pace in.

I live in Charlotte and i think the terrain is comparable. I have plenty of hills to run here and will make sure I hit them every time out the door. I also have started to do some hill repeats as well.

Thanks for everything and good luck to you as well this year! Im impressed by how many marathons you've run! Holy moly!!

Jon

2011-12-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3961147

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

I've run in Charlotte and I agree that the terrain is similar. If you train on hills and can maintain your pace runs on them then I would think you will be fine. But again I caution that a too agressive goal on this particular course can have very unforgiving results--either with an all out bonk or with calf cramps (BTDT!). I can't say if your goal is too aggressive or not. Your half time is faster than mine but if I had a 1:33 half I too would probably shoot for sub 3:20. However a 7:15 pace is very aggressive. Isn't sub 3:20 a 7:35 pace?

I also wanted to add the Mcmillan calculator is really only good for predictions if your mileage is pretty high. I know for me it predicts a 3:21ish marathon but best I've managed is 3:26 and that is with avg 55mpw in training. I am trying to target higher mileage this cycle to see if I can get closer to 3:21.

2011-12-30 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3961577

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
NatNegativeSplit - 2011-12-30 8:50 AM

I also wanted to add the Mcmillan calculator is really only good for predictions if your mileage is pretty high. I know for me it predicts a 3:21ish marathon but best I've managed is 3:26 and that is with avg 55mpw in training. I am trying to target higher mileage this cycle to see if I can get closer to 3:21.

I think it's high mileage + speed/tempo work to hit his numbers.  I've known a few runners who do it, and they all have crazy volume.  It's pretty rare to see a triathlete get even close to McMillan's marathon prediction.  My guess is that triathletes rarely go 100% run focused for 6 months prior to the mary, but that's just a guess.

2011-12-30 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3961684

User image

I figured this was a course if you were too optimistic with pacing you could pay for it dearly. All this hill talk made me go out and run some hill repeats today.

I will probably decide on a pace towards the end of the training but I feel pretty confident I will be in better running shape then when I ran my 1:33. I might be past it right now but I am not running a road half to test. I'll just keep seeing how I hit the pace goals in training.

I also agree Macmillan can be off but is a good baseline to determine my training paces.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Publix Georgia Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed