Potomac River Running
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 1s
Overall Rank = 10/652
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/49
Pre-race routine:

Well, that's a nice way to start 2012. And to celebrate my birthday. My 5k goal for the year is < 18:00, and today I was hoping to crack 18:40. I hadn't imagined that I would get so close to my goal so soon, and now I'm kicking myself (but not at all hard) for not pulling out a couple of extra seconds.

First race since September, as I was out with some injuries, and just needed a bit of a racing hiatus.
Event warmup:

Bundle the family into the car after not enough sleep, thanks to New Year's Eve activities. A few minutes of running around to try to get warm. Probably not enough to prepare the body for the shock of a 5k race.
Run
  • 18m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to avoid the initial melee of overenthusiastic young 'uns at the start and settle into a comfortable-but-fast pace for the first mile. My goal was 5:50, and I thought that the stiff headwind might have slowed me more than that, so I was surprised to pass 1 mile in 5:38, feeling fairly good. I counted myself in 12th at the turn-around. The wind was kinder in the second half, but the course now tilted uphill, and so I worried about losing a bunch of time. I hoped that I could maintain 6 min/mile through mile 2. I was surprised (again) to reach the 2 mile marker in 11:25. Now I was starting to get more tired. This impaired my math skills, and my plan had been based on trying to squeeze under 6 min/mile for the whole race, so I wasn't so sure what to make of my split. The third mile included two stretches that were uphill and into the wind, so they took their toll. Trying to stay aggressive, but I was thinking more about just being done. I passed a couple of people, and thought that I was clear of any traffic behind me. The mile 3 marker was passed in 17:24, so I thought there was no way that I could make it to the end below 18 minutes. I think the marker must have been slightly wrong, as I didn't realize just how close I would be. I should have mustered more of a sprint. Also, around 50 yards from the end a guy came flying past, and he looked like he might be over 40 (indeed, he was 42). Fortunately, there was another 40+ who finished 10s ahead of me, so at least I didn't throw away the Masters win at the line. And I later learned that the guy who finished 10s ahead for the AG win was Keith Dowling, a 2:13 marathoner who is himself on a bit of a comeback. So I didn't feel so bad about not beating him.
What would you do differently?:

If my mental arithmetic under pressure had been better, I'd like to think that I could have pushed a little harder and got the 2s needed to break 18 minutes. No worries. If I can stay (relatively) injury free, I feel good about making that 2012 goal before too long.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged around the block, trying to ward off tight achilles tendon (uh oh, gotta watch out for that one). Then enjoyed the post-race donuts and hot chocolate, before skating with Zoe (aged 9) at the ice pavilion directly next to the start/finish, then going for delicious birthday lunch at a nearby French bistro with Andrea and Zoe. Does that count as a warm-down?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At some point I think I will need to incorporate some speedwork into my run training.

Event comments:

It's just a local 5k, so no great expectations. But Potomac River Running do a good job with their events, and most everything went off well. They should have laid on more port-a-potties for the start. Correction: they should have laid on *some* port-a-potties. They relied entirely on the small number in adjacent buildings. Nice venue for the start/finish, in the middle of Reston Town Center, adjacent to the Ice Pavilion and lots of good eateries. This made it a less-boring-than-normal race morning for the family.

Last updated: 2012-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:01 | 03.11 miles | 05m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/49
Overall: 10/652
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 5:38 (net downhill) Mile 2: 11:25 (5:47; no net gain) Mile 3: 17:24 (5:59; net uphill)
Course: Relatively flat out-and-back with some undulation, mostly on the Washington & Old Dominion rail trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes