General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lower volume vs. higher volume training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
lower volume vs. higher volume training plans
OptionResults
lower volume plan and get 'er done3 Votes - [15.79%]
higher volume plan, shorten if needed16 Votes - [84.21%]

2012-01-15 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: lower volume vs. higher volume training plans

I'm thinking about which sort of training plan to use for my A race this year which is IMC on August 26, 2012, and I have a key question I thought I'd through out for everyone's input.

I have a supportive spouse and family, only one child still living at home and she's 17, and triathlon is my one hobby. But my job has intermittent difficult to plan for periods of high workload that cut into my workouts. I work in the software field and we have deadlines to make, schedules to keep, things to get done. So while my usual workweek is 45-50 hours, it can go way up at times and is erratic.  Sometimes I have to start work early (6am instead of my usual 9 or so), and miss my morning workout. Or I have to work Saturday and don't have time for a six hour ride, so I swap the Sunday run to Saturday and ride on Sunday. Then Sunday I still have work to do, so the six hour ride gets shortened to three hours.

When I look at the higher volume training plans like the Fink Competitive plan vs. lower volume like Fink Intermediate, I would expect in real life that I would be able to complete more of the Intermediate workouts as written.  I expect I would cut short or miss more of the Competitive workouts. Sometimes I could make up the workout later, and other times I would just skip it.

So, what would BT do? Pick a lower volume plan and get most or all of it done, or pick a higher volume plan and risk cutting short more of the workouts?

2012-01-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3991377

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: lower volume vs. higher volume training plans
For me a lot would depend on my goals for the race, how many races of that distance I had already done, etc.  I think from a confidence perspective, if you had not done many full distances that the higher volume plan would provide the confidence.  If you cut/rearranged some of the smaller workouts and got in the key distance workouts would that provide you the confidence and training needs you are looking for?  Seems like you may already know which plan fits your schedule already but will that plan give you the confidence you need to compete/finish in a manner you are looking for?
2012-01-15 1:15 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
You have done enough IM's to be able to adjust the plan on the fly and still do what needs to be done. 
2012-01-15 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

I could do it either way.

Low Volume plan reasoning:  You have a realistic plan with attainable weekly hours.  The thought is that no one likes to miss workouts or constantly having to do something that is different than written. 

High Volume plan: You seem experienced enough to know that these plans have key workouts.  Those should not be missed.  The rest is something you could be more flexible with and you have the knowledge to rearrange on the fly as needed. This would presume you enjoy doing that.

Third Option:  Create your own.  Actually, create just the ATP so that you know the cycles and build periods but not the whole schedule.  Then build your own weekly workouts at the beginning of each week to accommodate your work schedule; making sure to hit the key or breakthrough workouts. 

Edited by Gritty 2012-01-15 2:02 PM
2012-01-15 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Yeah, sorry I left out of my original post that this is my 3rd IMC and my 9th IM.

2012-01-15 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

How does the intensity vary in the low and high volume plans?

I see two extremes like the Endurance Nation plan which is low volume but with intensity with Qt2 systems which does lots of volume with limited intensity.

Which do you enjoy more?

Mentally would you rather get them all done and add some training when time permits or do more but sometimes have to skip things?

I don't like skipping things so I'd choose the first option.

2012-01-15 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3991608

Master
Northern IL
KathyG - 2012-01-15 3:43 PM

I'm wondering about this too. Could make a significant difference in the responses.

2012-01-15 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3991791

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
brigby1 - 2012-01-15 3:48 PM

I'm wondering about this too. Could make a significant difference in the responses.

That's a very good question.  I'll have to go think about that. 

Like Kathy, I don't like to miss workouts or cut them short - it feels too much like failing to reach goals.  Last year for IMCDA I was doing the Fink Competitive program up until week 18 or so when it became clear I was failing to do too many of the workouts, so I switched to the Fink Intermediate program.  And I was pretty happy with my performance at IMCDA, all things considered - slow motion swim (very cold water), good bike, good run with a just a tad more walking on the hill than I'd like.  But I had no nutrition issues.

I don't expect to have quite the same work load this summer as last year, so I should be able to do more.  Perhaps a lower volume program plus "do more when possible (time or intensity)" plan would be best for me.  Really nail the lower volume program, and perhaps move up a plan like the Competitive plan if time seems to allow, rather than fall back.

2012-01-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3991947

Master
Northern IL
brucemorgan - 2012-01-15 7:29 PM

I don't expect to have quite the same work load this summer as last year, so I should be able to do more.  Perhaps a lower volume program plus "do more when possible (time or intensity)" plan would be best for me.  Really nail the lower volume program, and perhaps move up a plan like the Competitive plan if time seems to allow, rather than fall back.

I think for people in general they have to have an understanding of their perspective to make a decision. You're not ok with regular skipping for whatever reason, so what you said could be the way to go. Once you check into the intensity that is, to get an idea of the training stress for each (Time x effort level, basically) for each program.

I am the other way around. I like to fit in as much as I can, reducing as necessary. Then when something heavy hits, I'll make sure to do a few key workouts during the week, and pick it back up after.

Edited by brigby1 2012-01-15 8:35 PM
2012-01-16 4:39 AM
in reply to: #3991608

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

I see two extremes like the Endurance Nation plan which is low volume but with intensity with Qt2 systems which does lots of volume with limited intensity.

Which do you enjoy more?

Mentally would you rather get them all done and add some training when time permits or do more but sometimes have to skip things?

I don't like skipping things so I'd choose the first option.

This is the biggest variable you have control over like a lot of AGers with work/family...

FWIW, I've read the Fink book a couple times and not sure if you were just using that as an example, but there is a lot of room to increase the intensity in that intermediate plan....if your body can handle the workload.  I'd go with that option personally.  Bike harder than prescribed and add a few minutes or some faster running here and there if you have the legs for it...

2012-01-16 4:49 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I have not done any IM's but with you having the experience of 9 races completed you already know what you need to do to complete another one. 

I would suggest you try to meld the 2 together a bit if you can.  Start with the lower volume plan and add volume when you can, even if they are a little lower than the competitive plan you should still see the benefit. A little more volume could simply be added on the same day as a slightly lower volume day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lower volume vs. higher volume training plans Rss Feed