Sunny
Total Time = 4h 14m 47s
Overall Rank = 400/850
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/53
Pre-race routine:

Bagel with PB and water
Event warmup:

jogged to start line, a little bit of active warm up kicks etc...
Run
  • 4h 14m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great the whole time but the last 3 miles were really tough mentally and physically with the wind. I thought I was getting some leg cramps but they never came thank goodness. Just twinges. Nothing else really hurt or got overly tight. I was more fatiged at the end but had more in me than I though. I am really pleased with how it turned out and nearly started crying at the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! Hard to actually say that but since it was my first, I stuck to my race plan and was pleased with my results.
Post race
Warm down:

walked, got some water, Endurox for recovery ( love this stufF) one sip of beer and more walking. Food was cold/hard bagels and brown apples and banannas. Never saw any gatorade or warming blankets or anything like that. Barely saw the water at the finish line massage was not offered either

Event comments:

see above. They had good intentions and were very excited but a little lacluster in performance. They had a band playing at the finish, shrimp and grits and beer but not much for spectators. The expo and festivites were in a tent, most of the vendors had left by the time I got done so no opportunity to purchase things. The whole race was to benefit arts in the schools and the entry fee wasnt that bad but the shirts OK and the bag wont be used by me. chrono tag on shoe instead of bib number- havent seen that in a while.

Last updated: 2012-01-15 12:00 AM
Running
04:14:47 | 26.2 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/53
Overall: 400/850
Performance: Good
Course: Didnt really care for the course lay out. begining was pretty in downtown but ran through the hood and industrial areas which were boring. Criscrossed a lot of neighborhoods that were a little nicer but still rather uneventful. Charleston is such a beautiful town but guess its too hard to close the roads downtown for that long. The finish was MISERABLE. last 5 miles were out and back along industrial area, rr tracks and crappy road suraces which is not good for weary legs. There was a band which helped a little. The headwind was brutal at the end, was windy all day but that was really bad. OH, the people were really quiet, runners didnt really chat or cheer each other on and spectators were fairly quiet ( might have been because they had been cheering for over 4 hours too!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-01-15 2:47 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Subject: Charleston Marathon

2012-01-16 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3991523

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Charleston Marathon
Congratulations Paula! Great job in terrible weather!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charleston Marathon Rss Feed