General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Let me start by saying that I really don't know what I am doing.

woke up around 4am. Took a shower, had a begal with ham/cheese and two bananas. Prepared Accelerade in one water bottle, water in another, banana/vanilla protein shake in twom more. I wasn't sure what I was going to use or need during the race. Rather be over prepared than under. Left at around 5:30AM
Event warmup:

Didn't. Took me forever to set up my transition and get myself situated. Again, I wasn't sure what I was going to need. I don't think it affected me too much.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 960 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

My first open-water race. My primary goal was to finish, and I did. I started the race with Colleen, who has done tris for the past three years. It was great having someone there to get in the water with. The rest of the swim wasn't good at all. I stopped every few minutes, never got into any kind of rythm or anything. I was so nervous about getting swum over that I moved too far to the outside where the water was so murky and shallow that I was pretty much swimming in mud. At times it felt like I would never finish, but then I looked up and realized that I was rounding the last buoy....That felt good :)
What would you do differently?:

I would relax a bit more and not worry so much about getting swum over. I would also try to find a rythm, as opposed to giving into to "simply finishing". I did enjoy the swim. The water felt great, despite the smell and all else.

I'd rate this swim as technically "bad" but I enjoyed it so "good" overall.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I came out of the water thinking I'd enjoy the rest of the race, so I walked all the way to through this. Took my time. Let my mom take pics. Talked with those around me. I just relaxed. Not going for speed here.

Nothing. This was my first race and I just wanted to finish and enjoy.
Bike
  • 1h 43m
  • 22 miles
  • 12.82 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an enjoyable ride. I started out with some mechanical problems, my pedals were not working well (hard to describe, so I won't). Anyway, I tried to figure out what the problem was but gave up after a minute or so (I was being timed, afterall). About 5 miles in I thought I got a flat, so I stopped again to check it out. All seemed fine, but my front break was rubbing against my tire. Fixed that and moved on. A few miles down the road I saw another racer who seemed to be having problems. I asked if he was ok. He said something about a flat. I returned and asked if he needed a tube. He said something about his rims. I realized I wouldn't be able to help me so I moved on. I don't think I'll do that again. I don't even know why I stopped. I can barely change a tire! Anyway, The beginning and end seemed more difficult than the miles in between. It seemed windier and was definitely hillier. According to my computer I was cruising at 18-19mph at times! And I passed a few people too, including a girl in my age group! I know I am not last!

Not stop to help unless I know I can do something for them, otherwise it's just a waste of time that I can't make up for. Ride before the race to make sure all is in good working order. I don't want any more mechanical surprises! Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, I was not racing this. Took my time and enjoyed it. Walked the entire way.

Nothing. I want to concentrate on my pace during the swim/bike/run. I am not all that interested in cutting back on my transition times yet.
Run
  • 42m
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I just relaxed during the run. Started slow to get blood flowing to the right muscles and just never picked up the pace. I kept telling myself that I just wanted to finish. But I wasn't hurting so I know I could have pushed it more. Anyway, tried raspberry HammerGel for the first time at mile 2 and it tasted to good! I'll incorporate that into my races from now on!

Push it! After all it's the end of the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit. That's about it. I felt strong when I finished. I probably could have gone longer, which basically tells me I held back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I held back. Kept telling myself that it was my first tri so I was wanted to finish, and I did. I could have finished better, though. Also, not testing out my bike before the race to make sure all was well. I really should not have had to stop so much during that leg of the race.

Event comments:

Hard to rate, considering it is my first tri. However, compared with the du's I did last year, it seemed well organized.

Last updated: 2006-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 960 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:00 | 22 miles | 12.82 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was hillier than expected. I drove it a week ago or so and didn't think it was so bad, but today it seemed worse. Other than that, I thought it was well marked and traffic was low. Good course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:00 | 04 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was on the open road. Out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-07 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
San mateo
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon

2006-05-07 8:00 PM
in reply to: #417124

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations triathlete!
2006-05-07 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Good Job!!! Your first Tri is the hardest one you will ever do!!! Way to stick it out especially after a challeging swim. Hopefully they will post the reslts soon so I can do my race report. I hope you remembered the sun screen!! I didn't and I'm paying for it tonight!
2006-05-07 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Great job Isabele and congratz on your first tri! Your mindset was perfect coming out of the water into T1. It's your first and the one you will remember forever, so why not soak it all in and enjoy it? See you soon
2006-05-08 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
GREAT JOB Izzy!!!  Way to hang in there during the swim.  You did great we are all so happy for you.
2006-05-08 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
South Jersey

iz....you did great for your first tri, and that was very nice that you stopped and offered help like that! so now you have something to work off of for our Hammonton Tri

2006-05-08 11:23 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Congratulations! Those races where all you want to do is finish are the best! You did a great job.
I did it too - I'll be posting my report shortly. That swim was ...um...interesting.
2006-05-10 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

congratulations on your first race!!! awesome job!

that water on the outside was kinda yucky - i swam too far out on my first lap around, stayed closer in the 2nd time. 

2006-05-10 7:15 PM

User image

Westampton
awesome, awesme, awesome. glad i could be part of your first tri experience. love the report. thanks again for sticking around to see me leave T2. you dont know what a boost that was. i owe you and colleen.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed