General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not to detailed. I had a bagel and peanut butter for breakfast and half a banana. Setting up my transition area was interesting because I was right near the exit for the bike so everyone was entering and exiting while I was trying to set up. Kinda interesting. Once I was done I had a half packet of gel and chitchatted whith the women next to me about the evil of trying to get wetsuits on.
Event warmup:

Stretched and relaxed. I missed the open swim the day prior but from what I hear I was lucky to have missed it.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1094 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The visibility was 0. Thank god because apparently water snakes were sited around the start point.
What would you do differently?:

Develope sonar vision goggles.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Slightly up hill but nothing dramatic. I've never really got the hang of jumping on the bike with my shoes already in the cleats, but my method worked fine.

nothing
Bike
  • 00m
  • 22 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful scenery. I was going at a good clip when at mile 20.5 I threw the chain on my bike. I was pissed! I fought with that chain for almost 8 minutes or so as everyone was flying by me. AHHHH!!! Frustrating to say the least. Anyway, finished the bike with no other problems and made it out to the run.

fix the chain problem a bit quicker or not get one at all.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition but nothing to brag about at all. I was in a semi cranky mood after the chain thing but hey, I finished the bike without injury so what more can I ask for.

nothing
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The volunteers were great! These kids that were manning the aid stations were a great source of energy. They were sp psyched when a runner would come near them and they'd start yelling "Gel? Gel?" Then you'd say yes and they'd go crazy trying to find you a good flavor. They were great! Very motivating. It was also great to see the athletes cheering eachother on as the runners coming back in from the run were cheering on the ones going out. Just a great atmoshpere all around.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. Another banana and bagel. Water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just a mental block that I've been having trying to motivate myself for the past few weeks.

Event comments:

I will definately do this one again next year despite the iffy swim. The atmoshpere alone would be enough for me. Maybe I'll try the HIM .

Last updated: 2006-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1094 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Quintana Roo
Course: OhMyGod! Let start with what was going on BEFORE the swim start. I walk down to the edge to find a couple of guys tying a rope to the back of a pickup truck and throwing the other end to the divers that are in the water. The divers then tied theit end onto the GINORMOUS tree stump that was directly in the middle of the start ramp! Yeah, anyway, it was #2 for the morning that was being pulled out. Whatever. So then there were the wave starts. They seemed to go fine but then the women got in the water and we experienced the most muddy, most debris, most soft muck kinda water that I think any of us have ever laid eyes (or toes) on. If I had to comapre the water to something I would have to say that while it WAS warm, it was like swimming like in a vat of Guiness! The first buoy wasn't bad but once you got to the third one something (lets leave it at SOMETHING) entangled itself on my right foot and I actually stood up on all the root debris on the bottom to try and free myself. Thanks to a very fast swimming male athlete (they start behind us) we both were able to get the THING off my foot while we were standing up. Finally made it close to the shore, tried to stand and promptly fell of the small shelf that was under the water. Real graceful.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 22 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast. Out and back. Not too many areas with shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Joysey
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon

2006-05-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: #417440

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Great job.  I heard the water was very icky!!!

2006-05-08 10:47 AM
in reply to: #417440

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon
Way to go!
I did the HIM myself - I commiserate with those swimming conditions. I got a big welt on my chest from swimming into a large stump tree stump at that far turn. And i did again on my second loop!
Sorry to hear about your cycling woes - seemed like alot of people were on the sidelines waiting for help.

My own race report to come...

Edited by runnerx 2006-05-08 11:02 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed