General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what have i done . just won charity auction for entry into IM melbourne Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-20 1:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: what have i done . just won charity auction for entry into IM melbourne

so i just bid $1400 on a charity spot in IM melbourne . i thought it would go for a lot more as the race sold out in 5 min and didnt expect to win . so my training is a bit all over the place as im a shift worker and work 24/7 on avg 11 days a fortnight and have wife and 3 kids . i was in training for a 2km swim 83km bike 20km run in the middle of feb .

so i know most people will say ive bitten off to much ( i probably agree) but what tips can you give me for training and nutrition for the next 9 weeks . im not looking for a great time i think if i had 6 months i would be aiming for around 12 hours but with the short time my goal is to just finish maybe aiming for the 14 hour mark for pacing

2012-01-20 2:06 AM
in reply to: #4000853

Subject: RE: what have i done . just won charity auction for entry into IM melbourne

Couch, all I can say is good luck to you.

In regards to the race (I lived in SE Melbourne for a good few years) the major advantage is this...everything is flat.

The bay is flat, the ride is flat and the run is flat.

All you can do is try your absolute best, and probably with the short amount of time you have, ensure that you have a good nutrition plan working because it could make the day alot less painful...get some long rides of course...and just enjoy the day.

2012-01-20 2:12 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: what have i done . just won charity auction for entry into IM melbourne

Congrats on winning the entry.  It sounds like you already have a very good base for a long dist. tri.

Don't stress about your finishing time - treat it as a 'charity' race, all about the fun, enjoy the scenery, wear a funny hat or shirt. Maybe it can be a 'training' race for another full IM some 3-6month later.

My only advice (in case this is your first IM) is to make sure you discuss this with your wife - let her know you'll be in training for quite a while and she'll be a 'triathlon widow' for a while. The only reason I'm still married is because my wife and I had this discussion 12months before my first IM and she agreed to support me. That and I also had to buy her a new car. Laughing

2012-01-20 4:19 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Get a coach and/or training plan and get to work. Congrats on winning that -- I am very very jealous!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what have i done . just won charity auction for entry into IM melbourne Rss Feed