General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kettlebells, circuit training, etc...anyone here use these/do this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-21 1:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-01-22 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4003305

Expert
Subject: RE: Kettlebells, circuit training, etc...anyone here use these/do this?
We have them in our gym at work. I use them here and there. Maybe I can help. My boss is level one cer for cf and yells at us when we look like we are doing it wrong.
2012-01-22 5:46 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Kettlebells, circuit training, etc...anyone here use these/do this?
Big fan of kettlebells so ask away.
2012-01-23 7:30 AM

Master
Falls Church, VA

Mike!

Good to see you back in the group.

carry on.

2012-01-23 7:30 AM

Regular
South AL
I love the kettlebells even though I resisted using them for quite awhile. My SO is HKC certified so I have the benefit of his training and knowledge which is also good. And we workout together. What questions do you have?
2012-01-24 8:38 AM

Cranford
Sharyn5 - 2012-01-21 2:33 PM

I did a circuit yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Think I'm going to do circuit training for a little while, to change things up for some added fun, over the next few weeks.

Anyone here use kettlebells? If so...I've got some questions for you.

Anyone here do circuit training? If so, do you like it better than isolating bodyparts on given days...ie: Monday is legs day, Tuesday is chest day, etc...?

TIA for your replies.

I never liked isolating individual body parts for an entire workout. I find that it gets rreeeaaaalllllllyyyyy  boring. imo, that is part of the reason people have trouble committing to a gym. They get tired of doing X reps for XX sets over and over again. ugh... Anyway, KB's are certainly a great way to add some variety to your workouts. Like others have already asked...what questions do you have?

2012-01-24 5:55 PM

Veteran
Jacksonville
Kettlebells and TRX are a main part of my strength training regimen...KB's are extremely useful (when doing the movements properly), as they target full-body movements. Never been a huge fan of isolation exercise splits, especially now that I am in this 'lifestyle'.
2012-01-25 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4009032

2012-01-25 8:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Started kettlebells the first of the year.  Awesome.  My coach is certified.  Intense training.  Efficient.  Lots of gfain for the "pain."  They kick my butt unlike any other strength training I've ever found.  The weight machine in my workout room is gathering dust.  
2012-01-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4007654

2012-01-25 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4009853

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Sharyn5 - 2012-01-25 8:30 AM

Savage8778 - 2012-01-24 6:55 PM Kettlebells and TRX are a main part of my strength training regimen...KB's are extremely useful (when doing the movements properly), as they target full-body movements. Never been a huge fan of isolation exercise splits, especially now that I am in this 'lifestyle'.

when you say isolation splits, do you mean...'monday = chest day, tuesday = shoulders, etc?' If so, I have followed that for a while, and got a little tired of the same ole routine. Granted, there are ways to make those programs more exciting, too. But, I have found the circuits to be challenging, and fun thus far. And the running/cycling fits in well with it all, too.

I appreciate everyone's replies. I guess my main questions surrounding KB's are...form. When I have viewed vids where the person is demonstrating say a KB 'swing,' does the bottom part of the KB always need to face out? Is that the proper form? It seems like an injury could happen pretty quick, if the form is off with these. Embarassed

Thanks for any advice, and insight.

As a relative newcomer, I would agree, form is everything.  Best to have someone very knowledgeable show you how.  My bike coach had me get one a couple of years ago and do swings.  But that is nothing like what is taught by the Russian kettlebell coaches.  It is a dynamic, energizing workout.

2012-01-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4009952

2012-01-25 9:39 AM

Expert
Alexandria, MN

I just spent an hour with a trainer yesterday only using kettlebells.  It helps to have some of different weights, for example we had two each of the 15, 20, 25 and 30 pound ones.  Orange, blue, gray and black if the colors are consistent.  I don't have my workout in front of me right now, but I'll try to grab it today when I'm at the gym and list what we did.  We didn't do the full workout, just focused on learning each exercise and getting the form right.  But I can see how doing this once or twice per week in addition to my regular s/b/r training will be excellent.

I'm not sure if it's standard, but my instructions are to keep my heart rate up while doing this workout with little to no rest between exercises and maybe a 30-60 rest halfway through, conveniently right before the "Turkish get-ups".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbabYc6HZw0

2012-01-26 7:41 AM

Master
Falls Church, VA
Turkish get ups are evil  (but oh so good)
2012-01-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4010049

2012-01-26 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4012252

Expert
I heard a funny quote from a crossfit coach teaching kb swings. He told the guys to throw the kb "at their junk". He said the junk would get out of the way. He said that in five years he had only seen one guy hit himself in the junk and he was dumb like the type of guy that would hit himself in the junk. Pretty funny and good way to teach it I guess.

2012-01-26 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4012963

2012-02-06 6:07 PM

Veteran
Henderson,NV

"I heard a funny quote from a crossfit coach teaching kb swings. He told the guys to throw the kb "at their junk". He said the junk would get out of the way. He said that in five years he had only seen one guy hit himself in the junk and he was dumb like the type of guy that would hit himself in the junk. Pretty funny and good way to teach it I guess."

yeah, I don't think I'll be trying kettle bells after all
2012-02-10 7:49 AM

Veteran
Maine
I've been using kettlebells on & off for a couple of years, just for lifting.  About a month ago I started joining in with an exercise class using them both for lifting and cardio.  I've found it to be an excellent addition to my workout routine.
2012-02-10 9:49 PM

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Agreed with the rest, isolation drills get old quick. 

Circuit training gets your HR up, and strong in a short amount of time!  I have a few short (15-20min) workouts that just kill me by the end.

Try this circuit non-stop!

25 Crunches / 50 snatches (25 each side) / 25 push-ups / 50 clean and press (25 each side) / 50 swings / 50 burpees / 50 mountain climbers.

Get in a REALLY good warm up and stretching before.  It takes about 15-20 min for the circuit but you'll be dead!

2012-02-10 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4041544

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tzcoaching - 2012-02-10 9:49 PM

Circuit training gets your HR up, and strong in a short amount of time!  I have a few short (15-20min) workouts that just kill me by the end.

25 Crunches / 50 snatches (25 each side) / 25 push-ups / 50 clean and press (25 each side) / 50 swings / 50 burpees / 50 mountain climbers.

Get in a REALLY good warm up and stretching before.  It takes about 15-20 min for the circuit but you'll be dead!

HA!  You are a beast!  I'm in my 6th week and loving it but no where near that kind of workout.  Just started snatches and doing double cleans and presses and squats with two bells.  (Sorry, still learning the language.)  I absolutely LOVE k-bells.  I can't wait to see what the strength training and paleo do to my time on the bike and run this year.  Can't hurt in the water either. 

2012-02-11 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4041576

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Yeah its a TOUGH workout, but suggest you try it, just do the entire thing even if you have to take breaks.  You'll be amazed that you can get through it completely!

Then, since we are all competitive right, you'll want to beat your own time next time around!

2012-02-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4041576

Elite
Denver, Colorado
IceManScott - 2012-02-10 10:55 PM

tzcoaching - 2012-02-10 9:49 PM

HA!  You are a beast!  I'm in my 6th week and loving it but no where near that kind of workout.  Just started snatches and doing double cleans and presses and squats with two bells.  (Sorry, still learning the language.)  I absolutely LOVE k-bells.  I can't wait to see what the strength training and paleo do to my time on the bike and run this year.  Can't hurt in the water either. 

TZ's circuit is indeed good and very challenging, but if you are new to KBs I would ease into high rep snatches slowly. This is from Pavel himself. High rep snatches can make your shoulder joints feel sore and gimpy, especially if you're still new to the movement and still learning technique. A lot of the pounding that the shoulder joint takes can be minimized with good technique, but if you're still learning technique...I'll let you do the math.

What I would do is practice the snatches first in your workout and, initially, do them as a strength movement, meaning allow yourself adequate rest between sets of snatches. Once you get good at the snatch, we can talk up increasing the reps and decreasing the rest interval. Then, do the following really simple but effective combo:

10 swings (either 10 two-handed or 5 one-handed swings each hand)
5 pushups

10 swings
4 pushups

Do this until you are down to 10 swings and 1 pushup.

You're probably thinking that you can crank out more than 5 pushups, and you can certainly play around with the number of pushups. But remember that you want to get through the entire circuit as fast as possible. Fatigue has a way of accumulating - trust me when I say that the last pushup for a single rep will kind of suck, especially if you're using a challenging weight for the swings. You can also repeat the entire circuit. This will give you a total of 100 swings. Fun!

BTW - I must give credit to Dan John for the above circuit. Simple but effective.
2012-02-11 2:16 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Here's a neat little workout that I found in my vault of "lost workouts." This was an article written some years back by Nick Radonjic. Last I heard Nick was tired of practicing law and wanted to go into personal training so I'm fairly certain he would not mind my reproducing his article here. This is one of those workouts that starts out easy but sneaks up on you and gets brutal.

Stairway To Shredded:
The Ultimate Kettlebell/Dumbell Ladder Superset 
For Anaerobic Endurance, Fat Loss, And Personal Challenge 

by Nick Radonjic, CSTS

This is not a workout for the faint of heart, literally and figuratively. It involves placing a #1-pood or 36-pound kettlebell (if you don't have a kettlebell, use a 35 pound dumbbell instead), a 53-pound kettlebell or 1.5 pood (if you don't have access to one, use a 55-pound dumbbell instead), and 2-pood or 72-pound kettlebell or (70 pound-dumbbell in the alternative) all in a straight line about two feet apart from each another. 

Then after warming-up, begin as follows: snatch the 35-pound weight three times with the left hand, and then do the same with the opposite hand. Next move to the 55-pound weight and snatch that 3 times with the left hand, and then repeat with the right hand. After that is completed go to the 70-pound weight and do the same. Not done yet! Now go back and repeat everything, but now you'll merely do either kettlebell cleans or dumbbell cleans for sets of three! After everything is said and done, and you're through choking on your lung, you will have rested for 60 seconds and then repeat the superset for 3-5 times, with 60 second rests between sets. 

What that really translates to is that each "set" will last about 2:00 to 2:15 seconds! Also, with the brief rest interval, you're really pushing. Assuming you do the 5 sets, you will have done 180 reps of volume of kettlebell or dumbbell snatches and cleans in about 15:00, with actual working sets comprising between 10:00 to 11:00 worth of work! 

This translates into tremendous caloric expenditure, growth hormone release, and metabolic increase. In English, this means LESS BDOY FAT folks! And over time, a lower resting heart rate as well. Also, keep in mind that these are explosive movements which will translate into incorporating the fast twitch muscle fibers that martial artists, police officers, and other anaerobic athletes so rely upon. Do this "gauntlet" three days per week and you'll surely be on the way to losing that unwanted body fat. Good luck and keep training.
2012-02-26 6:36 PM

Hello

Good thing about kettlebells is that you can use them in a circuit training program as well as in a split program.

Have you tried turkish get ups with a kettlebell? They are fun and you'll feel them for sure.

I would say if you had fun and your body is responding to the circuit training then keep at it. Progress is the key, but if you can have fun doing it isn't it that much better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kettlebells, circuit training, etc...anyone here use these/do this? Rss Feed  

of 2