Set-Up, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 58m 23s
Overall Rank = 359/489
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 71/91
Pre-race routine:

drove in from Wilmington (got up at 3:30 in order to get there) parked on site (won't do that next year) unloaded set up
Event warmup:

ran a couple of miles, ate a power bar, drank a bottle of water and took 2 ecaps before race
Swim
  • 48m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

another bad swim. I felt like I started ok, but once again could not navigate my way out of a paper bag. Of course it helps in the navigating if you can see the bouys. Without my glasses, that is difficult. With goggles, it is even worse. At least they had a 20' dancing orange man on the return dock - that I could see. I am surprised that I was not the last one out of the pool. Apparently there are at least 11 people who are worse swimmers than I am. Last leg, I was starting to cramp in my feet for some odd reason. When I reached the top of the ladder I was sure I was going down on my face because my right leg was contracted and would not extend. Luckily, I caught myself, denying the volunteers some true entertainment.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on mechanics. Endurance really wasn't the issue. Speed is. I felt like I could have kept swimming, but I was not going anywhere fast.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

not a bad transition for having to get a wet suit off and get hat and helmet on, along with glasses, number belt and gel flasks in pockets.

nothing. best transition I have had
Bike
  • 2h 58m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride for me. The first 30 miles was averaging just over 20 mph. Of course it helped that the wind was at my back. I should have figured this out when I was going approximately 22 mph with a heart rate of 142. But no, reality did not hit until the turn at the bottom of the course when the wind was in my face.

Keep riding hard and lifting more. Obviously I have a lot of work to do to match these people in my age group.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

another good transition. both of these were so much better than Duke Liver. Probably because I felt better and was better prepared.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 07m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

See above. The only relief from the heat was when I had to use the Port-a-Potty and when I came out it just seemed so much cooler. Maybe I should have stopped in every one just to feel cooler. Overall not a bad run considering the heat.

I walked the aid stations and about a 1/3 of a mile in addition to that. Next year, we don't walk. Overall, given the heat, I was not disappointed.
Post race
Warm down:

set in the lake. for a while. drank a drink while sitting in the lake. Then after sitting in the lake (noticing a pattern here?) I went and got something to eat (not beans and rice) and stretched some. Then drove home and drank some good beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, swimming ability and leg strength.

Event comments:

average heart rate 150 for whole race. Right where it needed to be, though it could have been higher. Maybe I did not give everything I had.
Swim seemed high when I got out and I bet the high of 177 was during the swim. During the bike, it was probably around 144. During run it was around 160.

Last updated: 2006-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 80/91
Overall: 0/489
Performance: Bad
Suit: short sleeve, short legs
Course: sort of a parallelagram. went out from one dock at an outward angle, turned to the right, then turned back in to the dock. Once you climbed the ladder, you ran down dock to mat.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:58:17 | 56 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 79/91
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: relatively flat, though really the outward leg is all down and the inward leg is all up. Good roads for the most part. Last 20 miles has seams, but reallly no different than we get around home. First 30 miles with wind, last 26 against it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:07:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/91
Performance: Average
Course: two loop out and back. Hot. When I say hot, I mean hot. Like we can cook an egg. OK maybe not that hot, but it was bad. Particularly since the forecast was for cloud cover and there may have been one cloud. the run is on asphalt, with no cover on 3/4 of the course. The course description needs to be rewritten to say that there is virtually no shade anywhere. The saving grace was the aid tents and the boy in front of his house spraying people with the hose. If I had not been so hot, I think this would have been a better run. Not totally dissapointed, but lots of improvement can be had.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: White Lake Half

2006-05-09 5:54 AM
in reply to: #418199

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
Great job even though you felt like you had problems with the swim! You recovered nicely. Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed