Set-Up, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 09m 20s
Overall Rank = 479/800
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 55/64
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, 4 AM. Had a raisin cinnamon whoel wheat bagel with PB, OJ, a banana and a large cup of coffee. Everything was pre-packed from night before. I got about 6 hours of sleep. Pretty decent sleep, nothing to write home about.
Event warmup:

Got to the site, got numbered and a chip. Ran for about 12 minutes, felt muggy out. Had a bitch of a time getting my wetsuit on as I was sweating from my run. Once I got it on, I got to swim for about 3 minutes as a warm up. Not what I wanted but I wasn't worried.
Swim
  • 37m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lack of a good warmup did not hurt at all. I swam slow and steady to the first turn buoy. Right before that, I burped and it casued my to barf up a little, but I rolled on my side to breathe, inhaled, and I must have taken some back in as I had a gag reflex and let another convulsion of puke out. I didn't miss a stroke of swimming. F'n A! I actually took two big mouthfuls of the water and acted like it didn't happen. I smiled a little knowing that there were acouple people right off my feet.
I picked up the pace a little on this segment. Rounding the second buoy, I started to do the breaststroke to sight in on the next leg, and round the buoy, and a cramp in my hamstring about killed me. I floated on my back for about 10 seconds and got back at it. I ended up getting into my own little world and really went at it for the last part of teh swim. I passed a few more people.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I might warm up a bit longer for steelhead, but no complaints here!
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

I really took my time here. I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed and was ready for this long ride.

Maybe go a bit faster, but really no complaints.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I went at it the first part until the seams portion. I averaged about 22-23 mph. I had some abdominal cramping, and I thought that it might be due to the perpetuem and the gels. I backed off the gels by 10 minutes, slowed on the perpetuem and upped the water intake. The cramping went away, but I believe I made a grave error here, and this was the beginning of the end for me. I didn't take in hardly any nutrition from here on out, other than some water and cytomax, which sucked, btw.

Work on long term nutrition. Work on consistent power output. Self control.
Transition 2
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

I had to drop a deuce from 20 miles left on the bike. I got all switched around and then hit the johns outside the TA and dropped the kids off. WHat a relief.

I don't know what I could have done differently.
Run
  • 2h 34m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This sucked. I really felt like I woul dbe able to do a negative split for the second portion and it was all jacked up. It took 16 minutes longer for the second lap. I didn't eat one gel from the bike to the run and it showed. I had hamstring cramps off the bat, and then about 8-9 miles out, I had abductor cramps from there on out. I had to walk about half the time from there on out. It got past achieving a particular time to just getting to the finish. I did finish, but way past a respectable time for 13 miles.

I need to watch the nutrition. I need to force the issue better. I thin there was easily 20 minutes that could have been taken off this time. Easy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, hydrated, and jumped in the lake. Some people wer saying there was a snake coming in my vicinity. I didn't move. If that thing would have come near me, I would have choked it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and heat. I hydrated well, but the calorie intake was poor after about 3/4 of the way into the bike.

Event comments:

Well planned, well thought out race. I think the bike course was great being flat and fast. I think it would have been better to be in reverse, having the bad pavement first, then settling into the nice easy road. Swim was great. Clean water, tasted good. Overall, a great race, and a great learning experience for my first HIM.

Last updated: 2006-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/64
Overall: 204/800
Performance: Good
159 BPM was heartrate.
Suit: Ironman Stealth Full wetsuit
Course: A 1.2 mile triangle. Buoys on way out were fantatstic for sighting. On the way back, there was this "dancing man" air thing that we were supposed to sight in on, but the lack of buoys in between made for a bit more difficult navigation.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:48:51 | 56 miles | 19.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/64
Overall: 323/800
Performance:
153 bpm and 82 rpm for cadence.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was flat and fast until a turn into the wind, uphill on pavement with seams in it. I really slpwed down on this part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:34:27 | 13.1 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/64
Overall: 414/800
Performance: Bad
147 BPM
Course: Flat and fairly easy. The only thing that sucked was part of the highway run where there was liek 2 feet width to run on. Got crowded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
Subject: White Lake Half

2006-05-08 8:57 PM
in reply to: #418237

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
Great job and an entertaining race report!
2006-05-08 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice job! Glad I wasn't behind you on the swim while you were chumming. It looks like you had a great ride, the run course to me is hideous, you are right about it being crowded. You would think with all that road they could come up with an out and back course. I would also vote to change the bike course, start out on that bumpy-assed road instead of finish on it.
2006-05-09 5:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Great job. I cant drink Perpetuum, Cytomax, or even Gatorade or any of that stuff without wreaking havoc on my GI tract. Congratulations!
2006-05-09 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Dang.......if not for the nutrition and the deuce you would have definitely went under 6 hours. Hopefully this will work out better at the next race. Great job!! Wish we could have met up b/c it looks like a lot of us were on the run course at the same time!!! We could have cheered each other on!!

2006-05-09 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Great race!! You did fantastic for your first HIM!!! Congratulations!

I agree, the run course sucked!!

Edited by WakeMan 2006-05-09 9:43 AM

2006-05-09 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran

Great job!  My run sucked too...and that last biking road was BRUTAL!!! 

Damn, I did not know there were snakes in that lake or I would have freaked out! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed