General Discussion Race Reports! » Octoberfest International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Octoberfest International Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hiawassee, Georgia
United States
Great Smoky Mountain Triathlon Club
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 65/90
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

It was cold and the seas (lake) was angry that day, my friend. Wind was whipping and the water was beginning to white cap.

So I stared at the water, confident my rental neoprene supersuit would defend me from the worse the water could do to me.
Event warmup:

Climbed into the rental wetsuit, swam roughly 100 yards + stretched.
Swim
  • 37m 17s
  • 1408 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The combination of a new wetsuit, strong wind/high chop and starting out too quickly made for a looooong swim ... I just plain blew-up.

The constriction of the wetsuit made getting a full breath nearly impossible. The chop of the waves made it difficult to get in air w/out swallowing a mouthful of lake water. Add to that the adrenaline of a race start. Mix together with inexperience and you get a guy who was grateful that there was an island to swim around ... because you could stand to catch your breath.

My training partner was having similar problems breathing. At one point I saw him with just 1/4 of the swim left to go, signaling for the boat to pluck him out of the water. I somehow managed to reach him first and saw that his neck and face were beet red from exertion + difficulty breathing.

The boat threw him a floatation device at the end of a rope. While catching his breath, I talked him into finishing the swim so that we could get on solid ground. He reluctantly agreed, let go of the float and we swam the remaining distance together.
What would you do differently?:

NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

I had talked my buddy into trying out these rental Xterra full wetsuits from Fleet Feet for this race ... despite not training with them.

Nothing against the wetsuits, but they take some time getting used to ... time other than on race day!

Luckily, purchasing more than a few beers was able to win forgiveness of a bad idea!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Short jog across the beach + up a hill over wet grass ... slipped a couple times in what would be the beginning of 'grace in motion' manuevers.

Provided a good deal of spectator entertainment trying to get that @#$% wetsuit off.

Bodyglide and Pam!
Bike
  • 59m 44s
  • 17 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Each time I'd crest a hill on the way back, I'd think that was 'the big one' ... only to find that there was more to come.

Lost my gels on the downhill as my new Sugoi one piece tri-suit pockets could hold little more than individual Skittles.

At this point, I was thinking that sleeping in that morning would have been the wisest course of action.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 31m 23s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed it as hard as I could in trying to make up for a lot of lost time ... but was able to pace myself for evenly split miles.

It was super-Africa hot + muggy by then - temperature had increased by some 15* in the hour and a half since starting the race. Did not eat properly and, more importantly, hydrate well enough ... that was evident by the near collapse at the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Guzzling water + eating oranges.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swimming

Event comments:

Good race that is put on by a triathlon club ... so while it had some kinks, it definitely had that 'club feel' and enthusiasm.

GREAT bunch of people to race with.

Last updated: 2005-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:17 | 1408 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 0/90
Performance: Bad
Suit: (rented) Xterra sleeveless
Course: Out and back around a small island.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:44 | 17 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was an out and back. Speed bumps along the first 2/10 of a mile leaving the state park was an unwelcome sight as I almost lost my water bottle. (There were piles of them to navigate through.) The first half of the course was largely down hill - which meant that the 8 some-odd miles returning were all up hill. Ugh!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:23 | 04 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/12
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back ... winding bike path over gentle rolling hills then over a dam + then back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-10 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Octoberfest International Distance
Old race report that I had been meaning to memorialize ... if for no other reason so that I do forget the string of mistakes made during the day! (And there were many ...)

Edited by huengsolo 2006-05-10 9:09 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Octoberfest International Distance Rss Feed