General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Wetsuits Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Xterra Wetsuits Spring Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 17s
Overall Rank = 319/824
Age Group = Clydes 40+
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

Race to the transition area to get setup since I lollygagged all morning. Got a nice spot by a tree againest the fence with dirt to put my stuff on. My spot sucked but my own fault.
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am so pissed at myself regarding the swim. I knew I was dogging it but didnt realize it was this bad. I can usually swim 400-500 meters real close to 8 minutes or under. I thought I was being cool by drafting but evidently I was drafting off too slow a person. No wonder I was not breathing hard when I got out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Took me forever to run to the boondocks where my transition area was.
What would you do differently?:

Get to race earlier and get a good rack spot. Hell, any rack spot was better than what I had.
Bike
  • 29m 29s
  • 9 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't agree with this being a 9 mile bike. My computer showed 10.3 but have to go by the race directer. The ride was not bad. I was looking at this as a speed workout for the upcoming HIM. I rode the bike semi hard. Had plenty in the tank when I finished
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Again slow transition due to having to go so far. I think I might be able to knock a minute off.
Run
  • 25m 24s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off on the run and I did this at a decent pace. About the time I got to the first mile it dawned on me that I have not seen anyone in my age group. Which meant they were behind me or so far in front of me. I chose to believe the first option so I turned up the gas on the next couple miles. I kept thinking I would be pissed if I was passed and found out that I missed podium by one spot. Which I did miss podium by one spot but the guy had been in front of me the whole time.
I am a little disappointed about not making podium but to be quite honest I didn't even think I would get that close to it before the race. I think I might have gotten a 3rd if I would have pushed the swim at all and then added more to the bike. Live and learn. I had a blast and am quite happy with my progress so far. Not too bad for a guy who weighed around 265 in Jan 2005. I used to think 10 minute miles were never going to be within my reach. Now I firmly believe I will be running under 8 minute miles in a sprint within the next 60 days.

I was also going to go under 200 this summer but I think I am going to wait until after the Koz race series end.:) I am 215 now and will get to 205 for awhile. Just coast it till Oct and then go under for the winter. Come on let me have some fun for a summer before I have to go get my butt kicked in the 45-49 AG. In this town 45-49 is very competitive and quite often beats the times of the 35-39 group.
Post race
Event comments:

Koz puts on 5 triathlons a year here and always puts on great events. He has experience and volunteers to pull it off everytime.

Last updated: 2006-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 400 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/824
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:29 | 09 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:24 | 03 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-05-10 7:07 PM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Subject: Xterra Wetsuits Spring Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Wetsuits Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed