View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grande Hills, Louisiana
United States
Total Time = 2h 12m 17s
Overall Rank = 204/226
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/20
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night before in a hotel in Covington not too far from the race site. Slept in a full size bed with Laurie. Probably not the brightest idea we've ever had, but I got a good night's sleep.

Pasta dinner the night before with her folks. I ate too much as usual, but at least I can pass it off as "pre race carbs". Got up race day morning, had some coffee and drove to the race site. I ate some Cheerios on the way there since we were in a rush.

Got to the race site and got all of our stuff together in transition.
Me: "Excuse me, sir. Do you know if the race is wetsuit legal?"
Him: "I don't think it is. Water temp is 79"
Me(thinking): "No, I don't think you understood me. IS THE RACE WETSUIT LEGAL?"
What the deuce? The frigging race that I'd prepared for is wetsuit legal!! Ruh roh.
Event warmup:

I walked to go pee. Does that count?
Swim
  • 25m 29s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Have I mentioned that this race wasn't wetsuit legal? Well, it wasn't. I know I can swim 1000 yards without a wetsuit since I just did it in the pool, so fitness wasn't the issue. This was my first open water swim, and that played a far bigger part in my swim.

Started near the back so I wouldn't get caught up in the washing machine start. Swam ok towards the first buoy for a bit. I kept swimming up on a couple of guys, and rather than swimming over them, I tended to pull up and start breast stroking. Had a few guys swimming into me from all kinds of different angles as well. I just kinda let everybody go by so that I could swim. That's when I realized that sighting just isn't something you learn in a pool. I never got all that far off course, but I had to stop and breast stroke occasionally to get my bearings again. It wasn't until the last several hundred yards that I got a good sighting and breathing rhythm down. Probably breast stroked a good third of the entire swim. Got tangled up in the seaweed/Spanish moss a couple of times.

I'm not disappointed in my swim, although it's a good five minutes more than it should have taken me. I just chalk it up to inexperience. I actually feel good that I'd learned to sight and breathe comfortably by the end of it. I'll get better at this.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swimming ahead of time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Took my time here since the swim took a lot out of me. I haven't practiced riding without shoes, so I struggled to throw on some socks. Had the only gel of the whole day here as well.

Not much. I may learn to ride and run sockless someday to speed things up.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 15s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Er, sorta fell down getting on my bike. That couldn't have helped my time. The mount area is in the grass and quickly followed by a turn on gravel. That wasn't their best idea for the race. I got on my bike, clipped in my left foot and pushed to get some speed (of course I barely moved), then tried to clip in my right. My Look pedal (which I love SOOO dearly) was flipped over to the "sheet of ice" side instead of the right side, so I just slipped when I hit it and down I went. I wasn't particularly embarassed, but I was pissed that I spilled 3/4th's of my water. Got back up and off I went.

I didn't go out particularly fast, but I kept up a decent pace with not too difficult of an effort. I think part of the reason I held back was knowing that I wasn't going to have water for the last part of the bike. I didn't. The rest of the bike was kinda fun. We don't have many hills here in New Orleans, so it was a nice change. My bike computer's speed sensor went out about a quarter of the way through as well, so I really just had to go by effort.

Looked for Laurie on the way back in. She apparently saw me, but I missed her for some reason. I was looking. I might have been admiring the bikes going past me.

Um...not bust my ass?
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I felt really good coming off the bike. Still took my time. Drank some water. Waved to my in-law's on the way out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 42m 11s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

My pace was actually better than I thought considering this ended up being a run/walk for me. I'd planned on running the whole thing, but it was obvious that my fitness level isn't where it needs to be for that yet. Talked to a few folks who were passing me by or walking. Lots of nice people out there today.

Saw Laurie on the way in and realized that I didn't have a chance in hell of winning the bet (don't ask). ;) Saw Chris (rugbykid) on the way in as well. Yelled something to him, but I'm not sure if he heard me with his Ipod on.

My goal for the race was simple. Don't get last in my age group. In the last mile of the run, I saw a guy ahead of me in my AG. It was then and there that I realized that my goal was in sight. I ran him down and hung onto to him for about half a mile before I had to walk. At this point I was kinda dejected not knowing if that was my only chance of not getting last. Turns out that it was. The good thing is that he started to walk about 10 seconds after I did. That was it. The "chase him" part of my personality kicked in, and I blew by him and never looked back. I'm sure I was running a very speed sub 10 minute mile at that point. :)

Run more before the race. Jet packs in my shoes. Violence towards other competitors.
Post race
Warm down:

Water in my commemorative pint glass. Waited for Laurie to finish, and then watched Chris finish too.

What I have to keep reminding myself is that, although I've been around this sport for a year now, this is only my second race. The only one I'd done before today was waaaay shorter than this one. I didn't feel like I was going to die after the race, but I know I have a lot more in me. I will get better at this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of open water swimming experience and lack of overall fitness.

Event comments:

We'd heard good things about this event prior to competing in it. It certainly didn't disappoint. Lots of enthusiastic volunteers. Well marked course. Even a smartass announcer who I thought was funny. I'd do this one again if we were staying in the area.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:29 | 1000 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 191/226
Performance: Below average
HR - 163
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise triangular course in a pond.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:00:15 | 18 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 198/226
Performance:
HR - 157
Wind: None
Course: Out and back mostly on a highway with several ninety degree turns and a 180 degree turnaround.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:11 | 04 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/20
Overall: 198/226
Performance: Below average
HR - 159
Course: Out and back through a subdivision. Hilliest part of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-10 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Crawfishman Triathlon

2006-05-10 7:30 PM
in reply to: #420439

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Crawfishman Triathlon
Great job Derek! Glad you guys had fun.
2006-05-10 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

Great job, Baby!

I'm so proud of you for even registering for this race, considering you have about one-third the time the rest of us have to train.  You trained when most of us would have curled up in a ball and shut down.  You rock and I love you!

I'm still waiting for you to pay up, mister...

2006-05-10 9:44 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Dude you're a MANIMAL! I'll leave all the lovie stuff for Laurie. You know how I feel about you... Heh. Nice race!
2006-05-11 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job Derek, thats a long race to break into open water swimming. Hope the lost wager isn't too painful.
2006-05-11 8:41 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Horray! You didn't drown!

2006-05-11 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Good job in the race!  But here's the proverbial question....is it "crawfish" or "crayfish" or where I come from...'crawdad' !
2006-05-11 4:57 PM
in reply to: #420875

User image

Champion

Crawfish.

shawn barr - 2006-05-11 10:55 AM Good job in the race!  But here's the proverbial question....is it "crawfish" or "crayfish" or where I come from...'crawdad' !

2006-05-11 5:09 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Nice job Derek!

2006-05-11 5:30 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas