General Discussion Race Reports! » George Rogers Clark Park 5K Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

George Rogers Clark Park 5K Trail Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
Ohio River Road Runners Club
64F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 34m 46s
Overall Rank = 41/63
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Got there a little early, jogged a 1/4 mile, stretched and talked with some different people.
Event warmup:

Ran up the hill at the start, stretched out trying to make sure I was ready for the race. The weather started out a little rainy, and then got a little worse. About 10-15 minutes prior to the race the rain was coming down pretty good. I was a little worried about this because this is a trail run, and I was concerned the ground would be slick.
Run
  • 34m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out a little fast I think (revision) I started out WAY too fast. I didn't think about it until afterwards, I walked several times for 20-30 seconds at a time to catch my breath. If I had started out slower I think I would have be able to run the whole distance.

Since this was my second 5K RACE, I had meant to start out fairly slow, but then I let myself go out faster than I meant. I had not seen the course so I had no clue where it went or how much longer it was going to be. The course was marked very well as to the distances, each .5K was marked, that was good I just wish I had known the milage better.

It has been hard to pace myself on some of these courses since I really don't know how far I had run.

It sure FELT longer, but I think that is because I am not in the best running shape. Too many years of sitting at computers and TV and not moving. I really need to work on the base.

I struggled mentally with this race, again I think it was because I had gone out too fast. I was really disappointed that I walked, I think I could have run the whole thing faster had I just kept a slower start. The layout was fine, and I think future races it will help me to just pace myself better.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down a little (lot) more at the start, and try to just keep running.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran an extra 2K to get some extra miles, ate some cookies and a banana, drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being too out of shape, not working on running enough.

Event comments:

This is the second race I have run with ORRRC, they seem to be pretty organized. They don't seem to have a "awards" time, they seem to hand them out as the people finish.

Last updated: 2006-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:46 | 03.11 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 41/63
Performance: Average
195 Max HR 138 Avg HR
Course: Started out at the bottom of the park, so the first 500 meters were largely uphill. Some paved roads, but then we got onto the trails. Trails were a little slippery because of the rain. They got worse as we ran, and since there were 2 loops for the 10K runners, the over laps were pretty sloppy for us slow pokes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-10 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: George Rogers Clark Park 5K Trail Run

2006-05-11 8:12 AM
in reply to: #420458

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: George Rogers Clark Park 5K Trail Run
I know where that park is!

Congrats on finishing another 5K. Trail runs are certainly different than road races.
2006-05-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: #420458

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats on the race....I'm sure they'll get easier and easier.   I can relate to the whole "sitting behind computers and in front of the tv" thing.  Doesn't it feel good to be up, out, and moving.  Can't believe all the time I've sat on my "bu@@" the last few years.  Good luck in future races :-)
2006-05-11 5:47 PM
in reply to: #420878

User image

Expert
Earth

Thanks Shawn, I was active until I went to college in 1986-7.  Down there I had 2 jobs and studied and had no time.  Went down at 23 years old, 145 pounds came back 161 and flabby. 

I really started a few months ago working on the flabby, still have to work on the running.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » George Rogers Clark Park 5K Trail Run Rss Feed